What levels classify as severe sleep apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
StillAnotherGuest

Depends On What Your Definition of "Is" Is

Post by StillAnotherGuest » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:37 am

Well, you could probably flip a coin to define severity of OSA and be as close as anybody's definition. Heads would be mild, tails would be moderate...

OK, maybe that wouldn't be such a good method.

You could also throw in there whether or not you're using Medicare criteria, which insists on having a desat in order to label a hypopnea as such. That could really mess us some peoples' AHI. By their rules, you would then call airflow reductions of >30% without an associated desaturation of at least 4% a RERA (Respiratory Effort-Related Arousal) and include it in the RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index) as opposed to the AHI.

Speaking of which, the acceptance of the definition of mild is also probably pushed by Medicare, who will authorize the use of CPAP at AHI 5-14 when additional symptoms are documented, like excessive daytime sleepiness, impaired cognition, mood disorders or insomnia, hypertension, ischemic heart disease or history of stroke.

If you were going to use a one-word summary to define the severity of OSA, this guy's hybrid isn't too bad, including AHI (however you want to define it), oxygen desaturation nadir and sleepiness:
what'shisface wrote: Mild: An apnea-hypopnea index from 5 to 14. An oxygen saturation of at least 86%. Unwanted sleepiness or involuntary sleep episodes occur during activities that require little attention. Examples include sleepiness that is likely to occur while watching television, reading, or traveling as a passenger. Symptoms produce only minor impairment of social or occupational function.
Moderate: An index from 15 to 30. An oxygen saturation of 80% to 85%. Unwanted sleepiness or involuntary sleep episodes occur during activities that require some attention. Examples include uncontrollable sleepiness that is likely to occur while attending activities such as concerts, meetings or presentations. Symptoms produce moderate impairment of social or occupational function.
Severe: An index greater than 30. An oxygen saturation of 79% or less. Unwanted sleepiness or involuntary sleep episodes occur during activities that require more active attention. Examples include uncontrollable sleepiness while eating, during conversation, walking, or driving. Symptoms produce marked impairment in social or occupational function.

AHI and EDS references from:
Flemons WW. Sleep-related breathing disorders in adults: recommendations for syndrome definition and measurement techniques in clinical research. Sleep 1999;22(5):667-89.
SAG

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): medicare, Arousal, CPAP, AHI, RDI, Hypopnea

Aromatherapy may help CPAP compliance. Lavender, Mandarin, Chamomile, and Sweet Marjoram aid in relaxation and sleep. Nature's Gift has these and a blend of all four called SleepEase.

Nicoleistired

Re: What levels classify as severe sleep apnea?

Post by Nicoleistired » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:09 am

Hi, was just diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, my AHI being 110.6.

I'm only 19 years old, could someone give me some good news haha

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:47 am

Nicoleistired wrote:Hi, was just diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, my AHI being 110.6.

I'm only 19 years old, could someone give me some good news haha
The good news is that it was caught early, and you can get treatment started now rather than wait 10-20 years (or more) like many of us.

More good news. You will probably feel a pretty good improvement since you are going from pretty severe to hopefully well treated soon.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:35 am

I love old threads. They have the smell of old army fatigues and mothballs.

Clinicians' categories and classifications of OSA are very useful to THEM. However . . .

. . . From a patient's point of view, anything that disturbs sleep is a SEVERE problem. It may not be so severe to the doc, since it ain't no skin off his nose how well anybody sleeps. After all, it was likely part of the doc's "training" to go through many months of sleep deprivation at a medical-treatment facility as fellow docs tried hard to break him by making him treat patients while he was half asleep, as a sort of medical hazing ritual. (That was to teach him that he could make godlike pronouncements and write Rxs while sleepwalking.) That was after years of his pulling all-nighters to pass exams.Those are the guys we go to in order to get help with our sleep!

We, naturally, have a very different perspective on the value of our own personal sleep when it comes to being safe and maintaining a decent quality of life. That which is mild by a doc's definition, according to his perspectives, may therefore be quite severe to us. They diagnose it, but we live it.

So someone with OSA that is so mild that it doesn't even rate to the docs and payers as any problem at all can still be as severely disturbing to sleep as anyone else's OSA. It is the other damages to health, beyond sleep, that come more into play once things are medically considered moderate-to-severe with this particular condition. That is when the condition is considered necessary to treat independent of a patient's reported tiredness and sleepiness. That assessment is where AHI becomes MUCH more meaningful in the grand scheme of things for everyone.

So it is important, in my opinion, to differentiate between the medical profession's use of the word "severe" and the common definition of the word "severe," especially with OSA. It is a subtle distinction in some respects, but still highly meaningful, nonetheless, in my estimation as a patient helping other patients.

Just sayin'.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:09 am

So very well said, JNK.
It is too bad some of that excess energy is not applied toward making therapy comfortable.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 am

xxyzx wrote: bad

folks here use their machine to avoid having numbers like that
Why do you respond to a post 11years old? WHY?

there really is no need to just respond to the first post on every thread that comes up on your radar. just take the time to read the whole thread (very carefully), consider your response - just for you: read the whole thread another time - thin about if it is really necessary for you to respond - just for you think about it really hard again - read the whole thread another time.

than if you absolutely felld the urgent need to respond ... well try to suppress that feeling.

If even that fails - but only than: well .. but only if you have to.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 am

Guest wrote:
xxyzx wrote: bad

folks here use their machine to avoid having numbers like that
Why do you respond to a post 11years old? WHY?

there really is no need to just respond to the first post on every thread that comes up on your radar. just take the time to read the whole thread (very carefully), consider your response - just for you: read the whole thread another time - thin about if it is really necessary for you to respond - just for you think about it really hard again - read the whole thread another time.

than if you absolutely felld the urgent need to respond ... well try to suppress that feeling.

If even that fails - but only than: well .. but only if you have to.
Guest,

Is the fact that someone committed the crime of responding to an old post really going to matter five years from now?

49er

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:57 am

Personally I suggest and encourage resurrecting old threads, especially the good ones on very common issues related to OSA and PAP.

But hey, just me.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Yes, 90 is quite severe.

In additional to all the clinical definitions of "severe," you should consider your case severe if you have severe symptoms. The converse is not true, mild or no symptoms still requires treatment, due to the risks to health that SDB can cause.

AJ

Re:

Post by AJ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:37 pm

CollegeGirl wrote:Dreamer,
90 is actually on the high end of the scale. I've never seen anyone with 180 events per hour. That's insane.

I think I met one person, once, in chat with 150 events per hour - but that's HIGHLY unusual. The highest that's generally seen is 105, 110, somewhere in that range.

I'm right there with you, myboards. I have about 95 events per hour. That's VERY severe apnea - and not something you want to mess around with, for sure.
So once again, I broke the threshold in something!

My apneas were 150/hr. The hospital told me I was the WORST case of OSA they had EVER had.

And now my apneas are down to 2 an hour thanks to CPAP and oxygen!

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:16 pm

I love seeing old threads pop up. Often it's new people having that issue and they have more questions or just want to say, "Hey, that's me too!" And even though I've been around ten years, I still like reading old threads. (And the person who originally revived this 2006 thread in June 2017 wasn't X, it was Nicoleistired.)

JNK, great explanation!

My husband had an AHI on his sleep study of 95, I think it was, and lowest desat was...47! Took me several years after I started on CPAP before I could get him to agree to a sleep study. He knew he had problems, but just didn't want to do the study. He's so glad he finally did the. He has 19 pressure on a regular CPAP and never sleeps without it. (My RDI was 19 and desats to 84 on my sleep study.)

Hippiegrenade88

Post by Hippiegrenade88 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:02 pm

I have 180 (186...?) Apneas an hour. I had to quit my job because id fall asleep driving to work, as well as falling asleep multiple times during work. I have a huge dent in my car from sliding sideways, inconscious, into a mail box. I had a bi-pap that i couldnt use because the pressure was way too much and id suffocate with it on. Even if i fell asleep with it on, id wake up thirty minutes later having a panic attack to see the mask and hose in pieces around my room. After losing insurance and my job i had to return it (2500 dollar machine), and ive come to find out i cant get disability because sleep apnea is not approved anymore. Needless to say, this SUCKS.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Hello, Hippiegrenade88. Your situation sounds very bad. Could I recommend that you start a new threadwith this same post so that more people will see your post and chime in?

So are you receiving no treatment for your severe apnea? Do you think you might be eligible for any kind of subsidized health insurance? And do you have any money that you could spend on buying a used machine?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Hippiegrenade88

Post by Hippiegrenade88 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:08 pm
Hello, Hippiegrenade88. Your situation sounds very bad. Could I recommend that you start a new threadwith this same post so that more people will see your post and chime in?

So are you receiving no treatment for your severe apnea? Do you think you might be eligible for any kind of subsidized health insurance? And do you have any money that you could spend on buying a used machine?
I was getting treatment but not anymore. the best i have right now is medical marijuana. I dont have money, or health insurance. May be eligable, i found it cost $35 to $60 at this sleep lab to see a new doctor thats apparently better than the last i had. I should be able to scrape up some cash. No $$ for a machine, they say in my condition it could be dangerous to change the settings other than prescribed. Ill work on that new thread though, i found this one via. Google search