Cleaning the equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
REP

Cleaning the equipment

Post by REP » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:59 pm

Hey gang I am looking for opinions on how often and techniques for cleaning everything. I got my machine yesterday and last night was the first night. I did ok not great not terrible. But the DME lady gave me instructions and I have read the manuals on cleaning just looking for some real life advice. Thanks!!

Dave

ColoradoDreamer

Post by ColoradoDreamer » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:51 pm

Welcome!
Good to hear that you did okay. A good sign when starting out with a foreign object on your face.

You will hear varying opinions on this. Comes down to what you want to do.

Your DME probably wants you to clean everything once a week, minimum and to empty out your distilled water in your humidifier every day. They did me, but I didn’t see the need to empty distilled water everyday.

Some will go months without washing some of their equipment.

I am just starting out (2 months now) and made a decision a couple weeks ago that every week cleaning of everything was a bit much. I will now clean everything on the first of the month (easy to remember) and see how it goes. I will clean the mask of oils and the filter every week. I noticed that if I let the filter go for more than two weeks I see dust collecting on its surface. I will clean the mask to ensure that I continue to get a good seal. I will inspect everything when I clean to ensure that they are not turning green or brown

Good luck on your return to health!

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:01 pm

Pretty decent advice above.

I don't clean humidifier tank at all really.

Hose I hang up and use 2 alternating and they dry.

I only clean my swift pillows every couple of days and that is because they seal better when clean. The rest I leave together as it is fine as is.

Headgear? Is your hair greasy and get the headgear dirty? Do you care? I shower every morning so I if there is something on my hair it will be removed then.

Some here clean daily. Some clean never. All sorts of opinions on the subject. Bottom line is I have been on CPAP since April and have had one short cold.

If I were to have a bacterial infection requiring antibiotics or some kind of open wound, well that is a different story, then you would find me much more diligent.

I don't "wash" my toothbrush, why should I wash the CPAP stuff.

I toss the toothbrush in the garbage every 3 - 6 month or so when it wears out and bristles get bent. Same with the CPAP hose and other supplies.

Of course this thread will bring posters who disagree with my opinion. That is as it should be.

littlebaddow

Post by littlebaddow » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:51 pm

Sensible and pragmatic advice so far, though you will hear from people who diligently follow a daily cleaning regime.
I've been a user for 2 years and clean things when they need it.
My mask (nasal) gets washed about once a week with hot water and soap.
I clean the filter in the machine when I remember, probably about once a month.
I rarely touch the humidifier. I use distilled water and simply top it up as needed. I take it apart infrequently and wash with hot water and soap, probably 3 or 4 times in 2 years. The hose gets even less attention, only washed it once.

OwlCreekObserver

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:50 pm

I initially did as my DME instructed me, washing the mask, hose and humidifier every day and sterilizing it all once each week with a vinegar solution. I also replaced the water in the humidifier daily and sterilized it with the mask and hose. That lasted for about a month.

Now I wash the mask every couple of days, mostly to remove any oils and to freshen it up a bit. I top off the humidifier once every day or two, depending on how much remains in it from the night before. I sterilize the mask every couple of weeks or so and change the filter whenever I happen to think about it, probably about every two or three weeks. About once a month (or so) I toss my harness in the washer.

oco

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:04 pm

I empty and clean the HH tank once a month. I don't take it apart, just do the best I can with it all together. I use a BZK wipe to clean my mask every day. Take it apart and clean everything once a week, then do a vinegar and water soak for 15 mins. rinse well, dry, reassemble. Have the aussie hose, don't clean the hose, but use a seperate hose cover, launder it weekly. Pad-a-cheeks get thrown in the wash weekly. Headgear...washed it once in 5 months

Brenda

PS I change white filters weekly, and wash reusable filter weekly.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose, clean

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:09 am

My Swift pillows get taken off and washed probably a couple times a week. I just wash them with Baby Wash and hot water. Once a month (if I remember) I give them a little vinegar/water soak. I learned to rinse well and let dry completely after a vinegar/water soak. Otherwise it smells like a salad

I have 2 hoses now and I haven't started up my humidifier yet so I haven't washed the hose in probably 2 months. I have 2 hoses though and will be using the humidifier again soon (gets used in winter here... not needed in summer) and then I rotate hoses. Hang to dry, washing, whatever... with 2 hoses it's a lot easier and with the humidifier running they definitely need more attention than when it not running.

Headgear? Haven't washed mine yet and had it over a year. My hair is clean when I go to bed and I don't use any hair products. My wife told me she'd have to wash all product out of her hair every night before bed if she was using cpap. So that's a consideration, I suppose.