Soooo many boxes of Kleenex!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
G00fy217

Soooo many boxes of Kleenex!

Post by G00fy217 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:34 pm

Ok... I never in my entire life went through so many boxes of kleenex!! Is it normal to have to blow your nose before and after treatment?

And, no I don't have a cold... just an extremely sore nose currently.
Laughter never killed anyone..... Go ahead, laugh! It's good for you!! ;-)

glassgal

Post by glassgal » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:27 pm

Hi G00fy,

Now that you mention it, I seem to be using more Kleenex than I used to also. I blow before and after and sometimes remove my mask during and wipe! There are Kleenex everywhere!

Have you tried some saline gel for your nose? It really helps!

Good luck & sleep well,

Jane

Sleeping With The Enemy

Post by Sleeping With The Enemy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:31 pm

I don't have any problems with dripping. I do clean out my nose before I get hooked up just because it makes sense to me.

Sinus problems???

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:49 pm

Hmmmm. I have a semi-perpetual state of sniffles, because I've got allergies to dust and I live in NH, where we're stuck inside with the dust for 7 months out of the year.

So I can't help much, I'm used to going through boxes of tissues like most people go through individual tissues.

Liam, just glad that tissues replaced hankies.

G00fy217

Post by G00fy217 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:44 pm

Hey Glasgal... Yes, I am using a nasal gel now.... but still I feel like I need to blow my nose before I get on and a few times afterwards.... the Kleenex company is gonna make alot of money off me (and other hosers).

SWTE, No I don't have any sinus problems.... unless that's a new development.....

And finally, Liam.... I am so glad for tissues too.... those would be some nasty looking hankies otherwise!!

Dave Hargett

Post by Dave Hargett » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:59 pm

Think Fall for a minute. Go outside in your yard and see all the leaves lying on the ground. There's a slight breeze stirring and an occasional leaf may scoot along the ground, but it's pretty quiet.

Now you strap on that fantastic 400 horsepower leaf blower that you just bought at Sears. Turn it on and point the airflow at the leaves on the ground. See how they fly all around, up and down in the air and rushing along the ground?

Think CPAP blowing into your nose. See the analogy?

Your nose is getting filled with whatever is being stirred up in your house. It takes the typical nose a little while to adjust to the airflow and the particles floating through it. The nose reacts with congestion or stuffiness or a runny nose, etc.

Some people do the "get over it" routine and tough it out. Others use a prescription nasal steroid spray and/or an allergy med to help clean up the nasal issues. Heated humidification can help too.

It is VERY common in new patients, but the body does adjust in most cases.

Dave

listening to the piano music of Roger Williams playing "Autumn Leaves"

glassgal

Post by glassgal » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:04 pm

G00fy & Dave,

You know Dave, I was thinking that G00fy's thing sounded like allergies, but was fixated on the mask. I guess that we need to clean our filters often if we are allergic to stuff?!

Good thought!

Sleep well,

Jane

Dave Hargett

Post by Dave Hargett » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:27 pm

glassgal wrote:G00fy & Dave,

I guess that we need to clean our filters often if we are allergic to stuff?!

Jane
Yes, filters can be important, especially if you live in an area with lots of dust, have open windows in the summer, have pets in the house, even small children (can you tell we never had kids?) Check your manual and see what type of filter and what cleaning/replacement process is suggested for your machine.

I've heard of people with machines for several years who didn't even realize there WAS a filter -- and boy were they filthy when they figured it out!

That's the part of "cleaning" techniques even us so-called experienced users forget to tell people about. I talked to a woman yesterday who is 2 weeks into using CPAP. She says she was never even told to wash her mask! She wouldn't think of filters, I'm sure.

Dave

imacpappro

Post by imacpappro » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:48 am

Not sure if you use a Heated Humidifer, but if you don't I would suggest you consider it. Take a look at:

https://www.cpap.com/humidifierfaq.shtml

Look at the bottom of the page, the last item. "If a CPAP user awakes with a dry mouth, stuffy, congested, or runny nose, dry, burning, itching, or bleeding nose, a humidifier will either reduce or eliminate these symptoms. The problem is how much money must I spend to get a good result. "

ICP

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:35 am

If you are experiencing this, you might want to check your model to see if it has a allergy filter available. Remstar models have an additional filter that is available. another option is the inline hepa filter.

One other thing you need to look at is where you have your machine. If it is sitting on the floor, it is going to get more dust into it. Mine sits on top of my Austin Aire Hepa filter, and I have my Remstar set up so the air intake is right above the outlet of the hepa. Very clean air coming into the Remstar. I actually get a bit congested after not having the mask on!

G00fy217

Post by G00fy217 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:04 am

quote "imacpappro"]If a CPAP user awakes with a dry mouth, stuffy, congested, or runny nose, dry, burning, itching, or bleeding nose, a humidifier will either reduce or eliminate these symptoms.
Ok... the humidifier... should it be set on warm. Mine is set on 1 and there's times at night this bothers me.... I am not use to warm air being blown up my nose, in fact... I sleep with No Heat on in my room and sometimes use a fan too... So, having warm air blow up my nose makes me itchy and not very comfortable.

I know, I am the most impossible and picky person you have ever known!

Yoga

Post by Yoga » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:09 pm

Mikesus,

What is the cost of the hepa filters, how often should they be replaced, and do you know if they are covered under medicare?

Which Remstar machine do you have?

gailzee

Re: Soooo many boxes of Kleenex!

Post by gailzee » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:35 pm

Besides my autopap with humidification (you do have a humidifier with your machine don't you? --I wasn't sure), well one thing that I have noticed even before using my autopap, is that I have a regular room cool mist humidifier set on low all night, and a smaller sized ionizer. I had already noticed that my breathing was improved by both of them. SHARPER IMAGE sells various ones, they seem pretty good to me and before anyone asks, NO I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM EITHER. I bought a reasonably price humidifier in Walmart (ditto. They do make a difference. I thought only I noticed it, but my husband who doesn't suffer from sinuses or breathing problems says he's breathing problems.

Hope this advice helps?
Good Luck
G00fy217 wrote:Ok... I never in my entire life went through so many boxes of kleenex!! Is it normal to have to blow your nose before and after treatment?

And, no I don't have a cold... just an extremely sore nose currently.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:22 pm

I'd check before using a humidifier in the same room with your CPAP machine. I seem to recall reading somewhere (although I can't at the moment remember where) that too much humidity in the room can harm the inner workings of your CPAP.

Now, if you have a humidifier because you live in NH and it's winter time and without it, your skin is peeling off in chunks large enough to support agriculture, that's probably fine. But if you have one of those warm-mist ones intended to help treat breathing difficulties, you might be causing more harm than good by having that on while your CPAP is running.

Just a thought.

Liam, who just noticed, this is his 500th official post. He'll be back after tossing some confetti.

LDuyer

congrats

Post by LDuyer » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:30 pm

Liam1965 wrote:Liam, who just noticed, this is his 500th official post. He'll be back after tossing some confetti.
CONGRATULATIONS, Liam...!

There's no point in any of the rest of us to even try and catch up.
Confetti all around!!

Linda