At what point You can be banned from ONLINE store for trying on masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cub4bearin

At what point You can be banned from ONLINE store for trying on masks?

Post by cub4bearin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:54 am

I am still new to CPAP world and having big issues of finding the right mask... I used two online stores for purchasing masks, including CPAP.com
But, both of the stores have disclaimer that they can refuse returns if the option is abused... So, at what point one should start worry about this?
Trust me, every one more night of testing new mask, just to find out if that one is THE ONE, isn't funny. I rather would love to find one and stop trying, but so far haven't had luck and dragging myself to another restless night and fiddling with adjustments to stop leaks or tangling in hose (I am active sleeper and belly/side sleeper).

Goofproof

Re: At what point You can be banned from ONLINE store for trying on masks?

Post by Goofproof » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Trying to find the "Holy Grail" of XPAP masks, isn't the answer. Choosing the type of mask you need and the correct size, then adjusting it correctly is the secret. You also have to adapt to the mask, most masks don't adapt to you, it's a trade off, but if you are flexible.

In 13 years I have used 5 masks, 2 nasal (same just improved Gel) and 3 Full Faced. All were usable but two failed due to leaks and noise problems, but they still were usable. The others were good, as with everything you need to get them set up correctly. We are all different, the worst thing we have going for us is our brain or lack of, you must make up your mind if you are going to succeed at anything you do, then you must do it! Don't reinforce "Can't", it will thrive in your life!

Also over time your face structure will adapt to the mask making the fit better over time, but also the straps change, so basically just when you get it right, it changes, just like life. Jim..

To answer your question, It's up to each of them. Personally I don't buy from those dealers because it forces them to overcharge their other customers to pay for it!
Last edited by Goofproof on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:20 pm

You must know your problem is the beard, so maybe consider getting rid of it. And if you want to know more re DME policies, you have to ask the DME's!

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:26 pm

I can't answer your question.
Something to keep in mind is that often a newbie is looking for the perfect mask. Too often people overtighten straps hoping to eliminate all leaks which can makes sealing worse and increase discomfort. Minor leaking is common. Often the person has to change how they sleep to minimize leaking (position, pillows). If the leak hits you in the eye then that is a problem. With time, people get used to sleeping through minor leaks.
What percentage of time are you in Large Leak?
You may want to post your data (see the three links below).

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:45 pm

In my first two years, I tried quite a few, using our sponsor's return insurance maybe three times.
Local outfits have been less liberal, so buying online makes sense.
The cost of return insurance is often a reflection of how many get sent back.
Trying the cheaper (insurance) ones first worked for me.
Some masks have zero cost return, including Sleepweaver.
Happy hunting. And good luck.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:15 pm

I think an online retailer will balance what you buy with what you return when they decide to ban you. I buy my filters, hoses, luggage tags, masks, etc from our sponsor. I have also used their return insurance 3-4 times in the last 3 years. So they know I am a good customer, even if I have returned a few masks that didn't work. If they have a customer who is only buying and returning every thing they order, then I can see where they have to draw the line somewhere. Do you buy your non returnable supplies from the same place you try your masks? I think it is only fair.

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Your problem might not be the mask per se, but the "TYPE" of mask. For example, there is NO FFM that works for me. My face is the problem, small chin and face. However a Pillows or nasal mask works great...as long as I keep the mouth shut. If you are a mouth breather, try a soft cervical collar or cut the face hair and tape your mouth, or both if needed. Jim's right, when you find a mask that works pretty good, then you got to fit yourself to the mask. There is no perfect mask

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:52 pm

When I first started treatment, I chose to shave my beard, which I had worn for over 30 years. I have no regrets about shaving the beard. My starting pressure was 20 - 25 which made it very difficult to get a good seal with the beard.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Until you face the fact that you're going to need to train yourself to stop sleeping on your stomach, and at least trim your beard close and neat (like my goatee now), you are never going to find anything that works.

You have to change/adapt a little, or you may as well just quit using the xpap.

cub4bearin

Post by cub4bearin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Mark55 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:11 pm
Until you face the fact that you're going to need to train yourself to stop sleeping on your stomach, and at least trim your beard close and neat (like my goatee now), you are never going to find anything that works.

You have to change/adapt a little, or you may as well just quit using the xpap.
Oh believe me I’m trying my best to sleep at least partially on my back/side. As far as my beard, picture in my profile isn’t current. That’s from before CPAP treatment. My beard is definitely trimmed now and kept like that all the time.

As far as leaking problems... I’m having issues with nasal pillows which are fine first part of the night and by the morning hours go out of alignment and leaking air wakes me up all the time 1-2 hrs before I actually have to be awake.

Possibly they can’t handle the air pressure for that reason. Usually between 10 and 12 in early hours.
My Auto is set to 8-12. Prescription was for 12 continues.

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Not the pressure.

My pressure starts at 12 and goes up from there. Wish i had your low pressures.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:08 pm

My pillows seal great at my pressure (16-20). That is one of the reasons I love using pillows, pressure helps them seal. You are likely allowing your bed pillow to move your mask. Use a flat bed pillow and sleep on the end.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Surely understand your frustration. I consider myself a seasoned user, and figure I can tolerate more mask issues now than in those earlier times when I was hypersensitive to every new sensation. But even so, I had an opportunity to try a couple different nasal pillows masks in recent times, and found both not only intolerable, but totally incompatible with my facial structure. If my CPAP experience would have depended on me adjusting to either of those masks, I'd have been in a world of trouble. If you pick a mask that isn't god-awful and an obvious fail, sometimes the fitting videos can improve your experience. It would be helpful if you could identify the specifics of why a particular mask isn't working and ask here. Someone may have already figured out work-arounds for the issue you are having. I remember when every pillows mask I tried had to have an extra strap added to help stabilize them. (Disclaimer - make very sure any added straps cannot slip and block the exhale vents holes.) Some masks have features more compatible to certain facial types. For instance, a person with slotted nares or where the nares are not symmetrical will have trouble with masks where the pillows are in a fixed slanted position. Some masks have pillows that can be adjusted individually, and the slant (or lack thereof) can be personalized. If you can avoid trying random masks just in case they might work, you might better avoid reaching the DME max for returns. Hopefully you've looked into hose management options. Avoiding a tug on the mask can help prevent leaks caused by tugging during position changes. Also, look up the falcon position. It's a variation of stomach sleeping thay just may give you the best of both worlds. Plenty of folks here are stomach sleepers. Got a friend who exclusively stomach sleeps with a full face mask at an IPAP pressure of 25. If changing positions causes you even worse sleep, don't give up on maybe making it work for you. Good luck.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:42 pm

I am also a newbie and have struggled mightily trying to find a mask I could comfortably sleep. Also a stomach/side sleeper. Since mid-January, I have gone back to my DME at least once or twice a week trying different masks. That does not include my husband's extra masks (I used the smaller pillows that he does not use), and another that I ordered from Amazon. It has been quite a challenge, and at times, painful! :(

I have finally settled (and it really is SETTLED!) on the Nuance Pro. Is it perfect? No. But it is better than anything else I have tried. I have found that I prefer nasal pillows. I really like the gel pillows on the Nuance Pro. They are so soft and comfortable. They do not intrude into my nose and hurt. Also, the mask does not put too much pressure on my nose so it doesn't hurt in the morning. Both issues with other masks. Virtually no leaks most nights--I think the gel cushion really helps. The main problem I have is the backstrap slips on my hair. And every time I turn over, from one side to the other (on my stomach), I have to check the adjustment of the mask and my pillow. I have ordered a CPAP pillow and am hoping it will help.

Anyway, this was a long post to say I CAN sleep on my stomach with the Nuance Pro and if you haven't tried it, you might want to take a look at it. And that I understand your journey. Good luck!

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:53 pm

booksfan wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:42 pm
I am also a newbie and have struggled mightily trying to find a mask I could comfortably sleep. Also a stomach/side sleeper. Since mid-January, I have gone back to my DME at least once or twice a week trying different masks. That does not include my husband's extra masks (I used the smaller pillows that he does not use), and another that I ordered from Amazon. It has been quite a challenge, and at times, painful! :(

I have finally settled (and it really is SETTLED!) on the Nuance Pro. Is it perfect? No. But it is better than anything else I have tried. I have found that I prefer nasal pillows. I really like the gel pillows on the Nuance Pro. They are so soft and comfortable. They do not intrude into my nose and hurt. Also, the mask does not put too much pressure on my nose so it doesn't hurt in the morning. Both issues with other masks. Virtually no leaks most nights--I think the gel cushion really helps. The main problem I have is the backstrap slips on my hair. And every time I turn over, from one side to the other (on my stomach), I have to check the adjustment of the mask and my pillow. I have ordered a CPAP pillow and am hoping it will help.

Anyway, this was a long post to say I CAN sleep on my stomach with the Nuance Pro and if you haven't tried it, you might want to take a look at it. And that I understand your journey. Good luck!
I also had problems with the back strap slipping on my hair until I read a tip from someone here to make a ponytail, then put the mask on so that the lower back strap lies under the ponytail. I then let the ponytail fall loose over the strap. Works like a charm.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney