Recommendations for best CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChattyCat

Recommendations for best CPAP machine

Post by ChattyCat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:11 pm

Hello, I've been using a RESMED S9 machine with a built in humidifier and a ComfortGel Blue Full Face Mask. I've been really struggling with this mask for months. My dentist has told me I have bone loss due to the mask pushing on my teeth through the night. This mask leaks terribly on my face and I have to tighten the, too large headgear very tight. Now I'm having to tape the mask down on my chin to keep it from riding up over my mouth. This mask is so uncomfortable that I've thought to quit using CPAP for my severe sleep apnea. I have used this machine since 2005 and I'm hoping that those members here could suggest a different machine. I don't feel that I'm receiving the best therapy with my current system due to the mask leaking in spite of every adjustment and trick I've tried. I would appreciate any input you can offer, thanking you in advance. :(

LSAT

Re: Recommendations for best CPAP machine

Post by LSAT » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 pm

So...Why are you staying with a mask that you say is too big and leaks terribly? You are thinking of quitting your therapy because of the mask? There are dozens to choose from. Getting a different machine will not solve the mask problem.....By the way...The Resmed S9 was not around in 2005.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:25 pm

The CPAP machine is like a car. The mask is like tires. Lots of different tires fit on that car. Find a set that works for you.

Maybe you can use a nasal mask instead of full face mask. Maybe you can use pillows. Who knows? The world is your oyster. Try the horseradish.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:54 am

I agree that sounds like a mask issue is what you need to fix.

To answer your question i use a Dreamstation and i like it. Aircurve 10 is another popular one here. Can't go wrong with either.

ChattyCat

Post by ChattyCat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:43 am

The company I got my CPAP machine originally updated my machine to the RESMED i now have. You're correct, the mask is my issue but this type mask was the only one that comoany carried. So, I thought a change in machine would offer a better selection of mask and headgear as this headgear is too large for my head. I must use a full face mask, I was told, because I'm a mouth breather. I love the CPAP technology as I've got a much better quality of sleep with it. Yet this mask problem is killing my teeth and nose. I woke this morning to a huge blister across the bridge of my nose from that mask last night. Thank you all for the comments. I'm going to my Pulmonary doctor today, I'll discuss these issues with her. She's a very understanding doctor. I'll post what solution we come up with late.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 am

For the most part you should be able to use any mask with any machine.

ChattyCat

Post by ChattyCat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm

That's very interesting. I'll talk with the respiratory therapist tomorrow. Got the prescription from my doctor today. I'm going to be a lot more hands on when getting a mask this time. Think I'll take my machine and have them to do a real time fit with my machine at the correct level of flow instead of just letting them stick it on my face with no air pressure, as they have in the past.