Fired For Sleeping On The Job — And Awarded Damages!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Fired For Sleeping On The Job — And Awarded Damages!

Post by D.H. » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 am

I agree that Sleep Apnea is a disabling condition and needs to be covered under the ADA. In the case of an employee not being allowed to remain on the job due to this condition, the ADA should automatically consider somebody let go from a job (or relieved of significant job duties) to be covered, at least after being employed for a certain amount of time.

I think that the problem here is the overall social attitude toward sleep. It is generally looked down upon, to the peril of everybody. It is for this reason that sleep medicine is so far behind where it ought to be relative to other areas in medicine. Nobody even sought to do such a thing as a sleep test before the 1960's or so. The first sleep lab had trouble getting a license, since it was unheard of for a clinic to operate an night and not in the daytime.

Link ===> https://abovethelaw.com/2018/02/shockin ... ages/?rf=1

Goofproof

Re: Fired For Sleeping On The Job — And Awarded Damages!

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 am

Where do you have to live and work at, are they hiring? I need a job like that , all of mine required me to work. Where I live we don't have courts with judges dumb enough to reward free loaders, I hope. Do you live close to them. :shock: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:05 pm

"I think that the problem here is the overall social attitude toward sleep. It is generally looked down upon, to the peril of everybody."

What? Where do you get this stuff? You really could make more money doing fiction you know!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Julie wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:05 pm
"I think that the problem here is the overall social attitude toward sleep. It is generally looked down upon, to the peril of everybody."

What? Where do you get this stuff? You really could make more money doing fiction you know!
Maybe a clean up around his waste basket, and under it, is in order. At least tie it up recycle some of it. Maybe not all at once, we would hate for him to damage his back. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Sleep is primarily disdained by toddlers, as any parent has observed.
We may have a clue here . . .
:lol:

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Putting a new policy in place for me personally, being more selective in which posted (Added Attached Links) I click on, to limit the funds gained by clicking on stupid crap. Maybe if enough follow my lead, they will feel a economic impact, and die out... Jim

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:56 am

Goofproof wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 am
Where do you have to live and work at, are they hiring? I need a job like that , all of mine required me to work. Where I live we don't have courts with judges dumb enough to reward free loaders, I hope. Do you live close to them. :shock: Jim

Falling asleep on the job due to a sleep disorder (or some other condition), is not "free loading!" For instance, if somebody fell asleep and it was found to be due to a heart condition, nobody would say this. The problem is that, although we're much further along this road than previously, sleep disorders are not given the same respect as the better known illnesses, such as heat ailments, strikes, diabetes, etc.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:31 am

Sleep apnea is treatable. And with treatment, we can be as functional as anybody else. Why should we get paid for refusing to treat our medical problem?

It would be nice if an employer was helpful during rough times such as adjusting to treatment. For example, when I am sick, they don't expect me to move as fast. When the vent hoods were broken, I was allowed to go home since it set off my asthma. But I was not paid for not working. Just allowed to leave.

If I am tired from a bad night, I am like anybody else who is tired from a bad night. Do the best you can. But keep working.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 am

D.H. wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:56 am
Goofproof wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 am

Falling asleep on the job due to a sleep disorder (or some other condition), is not "free loading!" For instance, if somebody fell asleep and it was found to be due to a heart condition, nobody would say this. The problem is that, although we're much further along this road than previously, sleep disorders are not given the same respect as the better known illnesses, such as heat ailments, strikes, diabetes, etc.
I suppose being lazy is also a disease, to Liberals. I didn't see it listed in Mao Zedong's, Little Red Book. Jim

Employers hire you to do a job, if you don't have the skills or ability you told them you did, and can't do that job they have a right to dismiss you, and hire someone that can do the job.

Unless you are Sleep testing Serta Products, I doubt if sleeping on the job would be part of your resume. Check the bottom of your wastebasket. Jim

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 am

Lawyers, no wonder they are so hated . . .
Justice should be decided on facts and merit, not emotion, fancy talk, etc.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:57 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 am
Lawyers, no wonder they are so hated . . .
Justice should be decided on facts and merit, not emotion, fancy talk, etc.
And Judges should have real world experience in earning a living doing real work, a jury of your peers kind of thing.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 am

I suppose being lazy is also a disease, to Liberals. Jim

It's well known how you feel about Lliberals. Give it up already; it gets sickening after awhile. The Liberals on this forum don't keep saying what they think of you, or your spelling or your punctuation. If you don't have anything worthwhile to say, how about saying nothing!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm
Goofproof wrote:

It's well known how you feel about Lliberals. Give it up already; it gets sickening after awhile. The Liberals on this forum don't keep saying what they think of you, or your spelling or your punctuation. If you don't have anything worthwhile to say, how about saying nothing!
There she is that Lucyhere we have all grown to know and love! :lol: :lol: :lol: Jim

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:16 pm
Lucyhere wrote:
Goofproof wrote:

There she is that Lucyhere we have all grown to know and love! :lol: :lol: :lol: Jim

Awwwwwwww.... Jim, I love you too. :|
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:46 pm
Goofproof wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:16 pm
Lucyhere wrote:
Goofproof wrote:

Awwwwwwww.... Jim, I love you too. :|
What a Mellow Forum!