Wisp frame -anyone try to add length in lower arms?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
emmagoldman44

Wisp frame -anyone try to add length in lower arms?

Post by emmagoldman44 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 pm

I was so happy when I tried the Wisp - the only nasal mask that didn't leak, perhaps due to its smaller size. The only flaw was that it was too uncomfortable because the lower arm of the mask frame put the position of the lower strap so that no matter what I did, it inevitably crept upward and mashed into my earlobe, creating so much discomfort that it would wake me up. So I returned the Wisp.

Now, I really want a nasal mask that works, so I am seriously considering buying it (the fabric frame version) and trying some DIY modification. Here's what I am thinking of trying: cutting a gap between the lower mask arms and inserting some kind of stiff extension material in there. That should position the hook for the lower strap lower down on the face, more like on the jawbone, then the lower strap will be further down on the neck and away from my earlobe.

Please, if anyone has tried something like this, on this or any other mask, let me know what you did and how it turned out, for better or worse.

Also, any ideas would be welcome about what material to use and how to fasten it to bridge the 2 parts of the arms.

Thanks a lot, Janette

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Wisp frame -anyone try to add length in lower arms?

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:32 pm

There are two distinct frames for the Wisp.
They are the same size, and interchangeable,
but I found the silicone frame to be far superior to the POS fabric.
The silicone frame has soft, rounded edges,
while the fabric edges are heat sealed and SHARP.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:36 am

I would be concerned that altering the frame would compromise a good fit. The four points of connection to the headgear provide a really stable structure for the cushion to float in, without leaks. If you break the frame to insert something, you are creating weaknesses at the points where you fasten the insertion.

I wonder if you could finetune the fit of the straps any more to prevent the frame riding up? I recently noticed that, after 10 months of using the Wisp with only minimal leaks and a bit of frame shift, I didn't have the velcro fasteners perfectly matched/aligned on each side (top right with top left, bottom right with bottom left). After concerted effort making a series of tiny changes to accomplish that balance, I arrived at a fit situation that doesn't leak and doesn't shift. I gently folded the frame in half so I could match the velcro straps to each other, and then very gradually lengthened one side and shortened the other until the velcro ends matched while the overall length still gave me the correct cushion fit. I think it is also important to balance the tension between the top and bottom straps so the cushion isn't being pulled up the nose (from the top straps) nor pulled down too far on the upper lip (from the bottom straps). My final fit tip is to make sure the top head strap is placed fully on the top of the head, not sliding down the crown to the back. Yes,the whole thing is totally finicky! but the end result is worth all those bitty changes. I've gained much more comfort and my ahi has improved overall.

I like the fabric frame, and haven't tried the silicone one so can't offer a comparison.

Wishing you the best in finding your solution,
Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

emmagoldman44

Post by emmagoldman44 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks very much, Jean, for your thoughtful and detailed response.

It is true that altering the frame length of the bottom arms may reduce the stability of the mask cushion. However, there is a chance that it may not and if it does, hopefully it would only affect the lower portion of the mask. It is really the leaking into the eye area that I can't live with in a nasal mask, although the Wisp profile is so much smaller than other nasal masks that I may be able to use eye protection with it. However, I am really hoping to reduce the extra fussing, and pressure items on my head, so that is why I would rather take the risk of throwing my money away by monkeying with the Wisp frame to see if I can make it not ride up into my ears.

I am not sure how the modifications you describe could compensate for the strap attachment for the frame sitting so high - mid face- as the Wisp frame has it positioned. I already tried lowering the headgear as much as possible but it was not enough. I also tried padding under the ear with wads of folded handkerchiefs to protect the earlobe, but that did change the height so much, like it was lifting away from the neck, that it did destabilize the cushion too much.

Well, maybe I'll try to find a used Wisp to experiment on :-)

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm

When I had leakage into the eyes, I wore a sleep mask to cover them. After I made those strap adjustments I described, I've pretty much eliminated those leaks.

Good luck with your experiments, and let us know how they go.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats