switchin between masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lobbot

switchin between masks

Post by lobbot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:47 am

OK, this is something a bit weird I've noticed when switching masks, so I just want to confirm if others have the same trouble:
I have glaucoma, so my doctor recommended me a small mask with 9cc.
I've used the ResMED Mirage FX nasal mask which is pretty small, just covers the nose. As soon as I've started using it, the pain in my eyes stopped. However, for some reason, my nose's skin becomes extremely greasy, and the mask leaves me notorious red marks around my nose, so after a month, I've decided to change it for a Dreamwear pillow mask, which is supposedly extremely small and comfortable. As soon as I've switched masks, this happened:

Now I breathe through my mouth, so now I have dry mouth. Not really a big deal, but I've also noticed some of the pain in the eyes returned, and now I wake in the middle of the night at least once per night. When checking the daily report, it says "events per hour 3.5". (when wearing the nasal mask, it was just 0.4). Of course, I've adjusted the CPAP settings from nasal to pillow. So my question is: Is this normal when using pillow masks or I'm doing something wrong? In that case, should I have to return to the nasal mask which seems to be a lot more effective although less comfortable? Except for the red marks in my face, I have no complaints about the nasal one.

Any thoughs about it would be appreciated.

Last edited by lobbot on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.