Poll: Where are you from?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Where are you from?

North America
78%
South America
2%
Europe
7%
Asia
No votes
Africa
9%
Australia
3%

Total votes: 86

lucas7bm

Poll: Where are you from?

Post by lucas7bm » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 pm

Well, I've heard some of you don't like polls, but I'm really curious about this (and know that deep down you love them).

I'm from Brazil and, unfortunately, getting diagnosed with Sleep Apnea can be really hard and confusing. There is not much information about it and most information is spread all over the internet*. Basically, if you have severe sleep apnea and you don't speak english, you'll have to trust people (like doctors and technicians) that - knowing what I do now - are not that smart and can give some bad (and expensive) advices, like several sleep studies or buying a machine for 2x of it's price. As expected, I made my way to this forum, which is helping me so much.

So I got curious: most of you are from North America, I believe, but how many of you are from South America, Europe, Asia, etc? For those of you, how is it to get information about sleep apnea and CPAP on your countries/native languages? Tell me about it. Thank you :3

--------------------

*In fact, this is a reason why I'm considering doing a series of explanatory videos about sleep apnea and the use of CPAP. You know, passing knowledge forward.
Se alguém aí se interessar em ajudar, ou mesmo quem quiser somente alguém pra conversar sobre, mandem uma mensagem no inbox. Seria bom ter amigos brasileiros que passam por isso
Last edited by lucas7bm on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Act as if the maxims of your action were to become through your will a universal law of nature." (KANT, Immanuel)

lucas7bm

Re: Poll: Where are you from?

Post by lucas7bm » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Just an example: this is the most visited/posted brazilian forum about CPAP/Sleep Apnea that I've found so far. You don't need to understand portuguese to see that there is less than 15 posts in the whole forum, and the most recent is from 2015. It's really sad:

Fórum de Utilizadores de CPAP
"Act as if the maxims of your action were to become through your will a universal law of nature." (KANT, Immanuel)

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 pm

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

lucas7bm

Post by lucas7bm » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Where?
Here..............

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3700&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=600

Den

Well, that's certainly harder to quantify and analyze (as I'm intending to do) than just looking to the poll results. And, also, the biggest question here is: How hard is is to get well informed where you live? That's a secondary but a very important question in this post. Hope you vote

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:06 pm

lucas7bm wrote:
Here..............

Den

Well, that's certainly harder to quantify and analyze (as I'm intending to do) than just looking to the poll results. And, also, the biggest question here is: How hard is is to get well informed where you live? That's a secondary but a very important question in this post. Hope you vote
As Doctor House always says: " People Lie"
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

lucas7bm

Post by lucas7bm » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Goofproof wrote:
lucas7bm wrote:
Here..............

Den

As Doctor House always says: " People Lie"
I'm sure they do. But that's all we've got.
And, c'mon, people usually don't lie about which *continent* they live. We can expect a certain amount of honesty here.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:26 am

Seems to be a growing area of medicine here in the US.

I think people here and elsewhere probably have to look beyond a primary care physician or surgeon or whatever for a physician who really knows a lot and has good experience treating more than just obstructive apnea.

I never learned much from any of my physicians. The surgeons wanted to cut, the general practitioner knew enough about obstructive apnea but nothing about complex apnea. The so called complex apnea expert knew a lot but was numbers oriented and wouldn't listen to me when I said sometihing just wasn't working right anymore.

Unfortunately , I have an odd breathing problem that doesn't produce the numbers that would fit the norm for someone who would benefit from an ASV machine, so I may be a little jaded about my physicians' capabilities.

This site and apneaboard.com were the major sources of information for me regarding titration and different types of machines.

A healthy secondary sales market for cheap current machines of various types was very helpful because it allowed me to experiment with different machines without the substantial time and effort and money that the insurance route would have been.

And of course I have been a Ponte Pretano since my days long ago back in Barao Geraldo near Campinas, so my statements may be questionable to some, like to those Guarani types.

Maybe you can start a Brazilian apnea website, or translate this site so others can benefit from it without having to read English?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:35 am

lucas7bm wrote:
--------------------

*In fact, this is a reason why I'm considering doing a series of explanatory videos about sleep apnea and the use of CPAP. You know, passing knowledge forward.
Se alguém aí se interessar em ajudar, ou mesmo quem quiser somente alguém pra conversar sobre, mandem uma mensagem no inbox. Seria bom ter amigos brasileiros que passam por isso
What makes you qualified to do this?

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:19 am

lucas7bm wrote:

There are hundreds on youtube. Many of them are professionally done and quite excellent.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 am

Chevie wrote:
lucas7bm wrote:

There are hundreds on youtube. Many of them are professionally done and quite excellent.
+1 Jason has done' hundreds himself... http://freecpapadvice.com/forum/viewfor ... a3d7a31905

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am

lucas7bm wrote: I'm from Brazil and, unfortunately, getting diagnosed with Sleep Apnea can be really hard and confusing. There is not much information about it and most information is spread all over the internet*. Basically, if you have severe sleep apnea and you don't speak english, you'll have to trust people (like doctors and technicians) that - knowing what I do now - are not that smart and can give some bad (and expensive) advices, like several sleep studies or buying a machine for 2x of it's price. As expected, I made my way to this forum, which is helping me so much.
While you are at it and in a sharing mood, why not fill out your profile so we all can understand a bit more about your therapy modality and environment. Regarding your statement (which I have italicized above) I assume you mean value not price - after all, in a free market environment when a seller and a buyer agree on an amount of money to be transferred in order that ownership of a given object is also transferred, that is the price. Not all would agree that the amount represents the value of the object but all must agree that it was the price. In reality though, it need not be a free market for the idea to have validity.

lucas7bm

Post by lucas7bm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 pm

LSAT wrote:
lucas7bm wrote:
--------------------

What makes you qualified to do this?
First of all, there is no space for argument from authority on the internet. On youtube, for example, there are hundreds of channels about science (medicine included), philosophy and politics which provide verified (peer-reviewed, for example) information and discussions about every kind of topic that you could imagine - and most of them are really great. All that is needed, as expected, is to show where did that knowledge came from. Which papers were used, which book was read and things like that. So, basically, your question is understandable, but is also a fallacy. You don't need to be an astronomer to have a channel about astronomy, for example. But your sources which build your scientific background must be legit.

lucas7bm

Post by lucas7bm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:50 pm

klv329 wrote:Seems to be a growing area of medicine here in the US.
And of course I have been a Ponte Pretano since my days long ago back in Barao Geraldo near Campinas, so my statements may be questionable to some, like to those Guarani types.

Maybe you can start a Brazilian apnea website, or translate this site so others can benefit from it without having to read English?
Então quer dizer que temos outro brasileiro por aqui? Que bom saber!
E a ideia era semelhante a essa, talvez não quanto a traduzir ou criar um site, mas fornecer informações sobre CPAPs e apneia do sono em português.

lucas7bm

Post by lucas7bm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:57 pm

Chevie wrote:
lucas7bm wrote:

In english, yes. And they where probably the first place that I went when I started searching about those topics.
I'm sorry if the message wasn't delivered (I thought that the portuguese sentence would leave no doubts), but I was not referring to information in english. Actually, since I'm from Brazil, I was referring to information (videos, forum posts, articles) in portuguese. Of course I don't intend to make videos in english, there are a lot of them and I'm not even a native speaker, so I couldn't trust that the message was delivered in the right way. But in portuguese I believe I could help a little. Just consider that most of the people that has sleep apnea are in the 60's, 70's or more and they probably don't speak english. For them, would be nice to search in portuguese and get at least some orientation.
Last edited by lucas7bm on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:04 pm

lucas7bm, what you propose sounds like a very good idea. The whole world does not speak English, and you could help others. Best of luck to you.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney