Full bearded guy. Tried p10, pilario Q, airfit 10, mirage q.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Full bearded guy. Tried p10, pilario Q, airfit 10, mirage q.

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Ahh man...it's literally been years since I actually tried the Pilairo. If my memory serves me...probably bigger than the larger Brevida cushion though. It was just a bigger cushion that sort of sucked in my whole end of my nose thing.

But wait...give me a little bit. I might have one or both (Pilairo and Brevida) in the donations box. Can't remember for sure.
Let me go look in the box and see if I have the real deal to compare to.
I did have both but don't remember if I mailed them out or not.
Will report back in a bit. Gotta go dig out the box and sort through it and I am not done yet sorting through new forum posts that I might want to respond to.

Don't go ordering anything just yet.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cub4bearin

Post by cub4bearin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Pugsy wrote:Ahh man...it's literally been years since I actually tried the Pilairo. If my memory serves me...probably bigger than the larger Brevida cushion though. It was just a bigger cushion that sort of sucked in my whole end of my nose thing.

But wait...give me a little bit. I might have one or both (Pilairo and Brevida) in the donations box. Can't remember for sure.
Let me go look in the box and see if I have the real deal to compare to.
I did have both but don't remember if I mailed them out or not.
Will report back in a bit. Gotta go dig out the box and sort through it and I am not done yet sorting through new forum posts that I might want to respond to.

Don't go ordering anything just yet.

Thank You much! No rush.. I order most of my stuff from directhomemedical due to their generous 30 day satisfaction guarantee..

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Well I found the Pilairo Q package but the Brevida package is AWOL. I probably gave it away and forgot. It was my own personal Brevida...from back when I bought it from cpap.com and kept it for the extended trial. Not sure when I must have given it away but must have been important.

At any rate...I looked at the cushion on the Pilairo and tried to remember the Brevida cushions and I am thinking that the side thingies on the Q are MUCH larger and annoying than what was on the Brevida....either size Brevida.
I imagine you would do fine with the medium/large cushion because the biggest difference if I remember right was in the cones that go in the nose more than overall size of the cushion when it came to Brevida sizing. Meaning if you held them both in your hand you couldn't tell any size difference just by looking until you examined the part of it that actually goes next to the nostrils up close.

You might still try the fit pack with both sizes and sell or trade off the unwanted size cushion should you end up really liking the mask.
We trade/swap stuff all the time and even sell those unwanted cushions. Pretty sure you could get your $10 back if you sold it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:15 pm

It's been about 20 years since I last had a beard, but there AIN'T NO WAY I'd try this therapy with one.
Besides, my wife didn't like it when I had one.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

cub4bearin

Post by cub4bearin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:45 pm

Wulfman... wrote:It's been about 20 years since I last had a beard, but there AIN'T NO WAY I'd try this therapy with one.
Besides, my wife didn't like it when I had one.

Den

hahaha... well, I can't imagine being without full beard... and the other half likes it a lot

cub4bearin

Post by cub4bearin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Pugsy wrote:Well I found the Pilairo Q package but the Brevida package is AWOL. I probably gave it away and forgot. It was my own personal Brevida...from back when I bought it from cpap.com and kept it for the extended trial. Not sure when I must have given it away but must have been important.

At any rate...I looked at the cushion on the Pilairo and tried to remember the Brevida cushions and I am thinking that the side thingies on the Q are MUCH larger and annoying than what was on the Brevida....either size Brevida.
I imagine you would do fine with the medium/large cushion because the biggest difference if I remember right was in the cones that go in the nose more than overall size of the cushion when it came to Brevida sizing. Meaning if you held them both in your hand you couldn't tell any size difference just by looking until you examined the part of it that actually goes next to the nostrils up close.

You might still try the fit pack with both sizes and sell or trade off the unwanted size cushion should you end up really liking the mask.
We trade/swap stuff all the time and even sell those unwanted cushions. Pretty sure you could get your $10 back if you sold it.
Is it ok to post here with items for sale? I noticed there is no subforum here for that... I already have few extra resmed p10 pillows (never used), and received few extra of them.
I am going to order the Brevida, since I think it will work way better than pilario. Tonight, I might try p10 again with my mouthguard and see if I can like it again lol.

Thank You so much for all Your help so far.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Yes, you can post for sale posts here.
As long as you aren't using the forum for a gazillion for sale posts and your own personal personal ad space because you are a DME selling stuff out the back door...no one cares.
We also do "for free to a good home posts".

You can also post it at the end of the Great Pillow Exchange thread too. Most of us know to look here first if we want something.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36070&p=1217904&hil ... e#p1217904
You never know what might be offered there.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 am

I'm using a nasal pillow mask now, and someone made the excellent suggestion of using a wide soft cloth hair band over the mouth. It seemed to work perfectly, it helps to keep my mouth closed (I use a light chin strap too, and it allows air out in a way that doesn't cause lip sputter, frankly it seemed to work perfectly. I didn't wake up once from mouth leak. On the other hand it's my first night using this method, so still preliminary results.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:49 pm

cub4bearin wrote: I am going to order the Brevida, since I think it will work way better than pilario. Tonight, I might try p10 again...
I used the P10 for quite a while and now use the Brevida M/L exclusively (P10 as BU). While in outward appearances, the Brevida is significantly smaller than the P10, it is far more stable in place for me. It virtually encompasses the nose with the wings providing a buttress against excessive movement. In terms of interface size (that is, the size of hole air passes through) the Brevida M/L is roughly equivalent to a P10 midway between the M & L. One major contributing factor to the Brevida's stability lies in the adjustability of its headgear. If you choose to order the Brevida, start with the M/L (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fp-bre ... dgear.html) rather than the fitpack and save $10. If you find it problematic, PM me and I'll send a XS/S pillow for you to try.

Correction: "While in outward appearances, the Brevida is significantly smaller than the P10" should read "While in outward appearances, the Brevida is significantly larger than the P10"

Last edited by JimW159 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cub4bearin

Post by cub4bearin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:30 pm

JimW159 wrote:
cub4bearin wrote: I am going to order the Brevida, since I think it will work way better than pilario. Tonight, I might try p10 again...
I used the P10 for quite a while and now use the Brevida M/L exclusively (P10 as BU). While in outward appearances, the Brevida is significantly smaller than the P10, it is far more stable in place for me. I virtually encompasses the nose with the wings providing a buttress against excessive movement. In terms of interface size (that is, the size of hole air passes through) the Brevida M/L is roughly equivalent to a P10 midway between the M & L. One major contributing factor to the Brevida's stability lies in the adjustability of its headgear. If you choose to order the Brevida, start with the M/L (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fp-bre ... dgear.html) rather than the fitpack and save $10. If you find it problematic, PM me and I'll send a XS/S pillow for you to try.

Thank You for your replay... I already ordered the Brevida with both sizes... I will see when it arrives what works... probably will start with the M/L and if it feels right, I may try return the other pillow if it is sealed pouch.

I just got this one today, since I ordered it before my discovery of mouth guard... This one is going back too, won't even try to open it and use, so they can resell it.

cub4bearin

Post by cub4bearin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:53 am

Hello..

Last night I decided to give a try to the AirTouch F20 and unfortunately I couldn't seal it good enough. So, I went back to AirFit F10. The reason I did that last night vs Pilario....Ive been fighting some bad cold for last 10 days. Figured FF may help me sleep better.

Also, at other topic posted by someone else here viewtopic/t158338/6-weeks-on-cpap--sinu ... -help.html I joined about my overproduction of mucus, which probably is combination of my recent cold and wrong settings on Resmed machine (tube temp and humidification).

To my surprise, with the AirFit F10 mask, I sleep better thru the night, without waking up, like with the nasal mask... but, also notices that with the FF mask I feel more tired in the morning and experience more events. What are Your thoughts my friends? Here is a graph from last night with a FF mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:02 am

While last night might show "more events" than the other nights....you still had minimal events. AHI less than 1.0...some people never see that.
I doubt the events themselves are the cause of the "more fatigue than usual" but I suppose wouldn't be totally impossible.

For some people when they go from a nasal interface mask to a full face mask they find they need more pressure to get the same AHI reduction with the full face mask.
This can mean more fixed pressure or more minimum pressure if using auto adjusting (apap) mode.

If you note when you did have the events your pressure was maxed out at 12...the machine wanted to go higher but couldn't. This is around the 4:45 or so time frame.

If going higher than 12 cm causes problems (aerophagia, disturbed sleep, etc) then maybe it is just best to let these few events happen. It's not like you had a truckload of them.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:08 am

I use the Resmed Quattro FX full face mask. mine fits from above the nose down to the gums above the chin. it works perfect with a full beard. no leaks.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Pugsy wrote:While last night might show "more events" than the other nights....you still had minimal events. AHI less than 1.0...some people never see that.
I doubt the events themselves are the cause of the "more fatigue than usual" but I suppose wouldn't be totally impossible.

For some people when they go from a nasal interface mask to a full face mask they find they need more pressure to get the same AHI reduction with the full face mask.
This can mean more fixed pressure or more minimum pressure if using auto adjusting (apap) mode.

If you note when you did have the events your pressure was maxed out at 12...the machine wanted to go higher but couldn't. This is around the 4:45 or so time frame.

If going higher than 12 cm causes problems (aerophagia, disturbed sleep, etc) then maybe it is just best to let these few events happen. It's not like you had a truckload of them.
I believe Pugsy's analysis is spot on. You got nearly 8 solid hours of sleep with zero gaps and very few events (none of which seems to have been very disturbing or lengthy). Treatment is always a series of compromises and trade offs - the few times pressure touched the max it didn't flatten out and stick around very long - no plateau. Increasing max pressure may eliminate the touching but may or may not eliminate the events. The question would be how much to increase and what benefit would one expect in return? This is a clear expression of the law of deminishing returns - don't fall into the trap of chasing the Zero - you are already ahead of the game. Just relax and savor your victories - you'll sleep better.