New Mask Question inside... The Second Night - an update!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Berks

New Mask Question inside... The Second Night - an update!

Post by Berks » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:00 pm

So last night was my second night using my loaner ResMed Autosense 10 and Philips Respironics Nuance Gel Nasal Pillow Mask (these are on loan to me for the week from my healthcare provider as they learn more about my response to treatment and I'll be getting my own moving forward - still TBD)

For those who didn't see my thread about my first night it was tantamount to torture. One of the worst physical experiences of my life.

Happy to say that the second night was a vast improvement. Still uncomfortable and what feels like poor sleep but not torture so I'll call that a win for now. Some thoughts I'd love feedback on... (you deserve a cookie if you actually read all this )

I woke up for the day at 5am with a headache. I took some ibuprofen and it's more or less gone now. Feels like a sinus headache - around the temple and frontal area, mild but noticeable. I get headaches on occasion pre-APAP but within the range of normal and I don't think apnea related (e.g. I probably got around 6-8 headaches worth mentioning in all of 2017 and that was more than typical). Since my loaner doesn't allow for use of the humidifier function I'm hoping that the headache (assuming it would persist) would be better with a humidifier and when I find the right mask for me. Is that a reasonable expectation? Is there something else I can be doing to reduce the likelihood of a headache in the interim?

I also slept on a wedge pillow all night. I struggle too much with the suffocation feeling when I lay all the way down still. I assume the more I get used to the whole machine and am able to figure out the right setting for me that will improve but I wonder if sleeping on the wedge pillow for now is kinda cheating - and perhaps won't give my healthcare provider the information they need for this week. I use the pillow typically when having a particularly bad night in general and don't mind using it till I'm better adjusted but don't know if it'll prevent me from getting adjusted sooner... Last night it was more important to me to just sleep than anything else after the first bad night but don't want to be doing things "the wrong way"... thoughts?

I am struggling a little with discomfort with the nasal pillows... they irritate where they meet my nose - particularly the inner part of my nostrils, septril and where the septril meets my upper lip area. They feel heavy and the area feels raw. I assume that when I find the mask that works for me this will be resolved some and that (just like with my wireless earbuds when I first got them) it just takes some getting used to before they stop hurting. Also, perhaps when I can use the humidifier it'll help? Is this others' experience as well?

I noticed a few times throughout the night I was awoken because I opened my mouth, I won't know until I look at my data (which I haven't had a chance to yet) if it's enough leakage to constitute being a "mouth breather" and worthy of addressing but I'm guessing I'm a bit of mouth breather... I have a feeling I won't like the full mask though based on my experience with the full nose mask but am open to trying it (need to learn more about how to try out and exchange masks while I'm finding the right one - is there somewhere I can go to be fitted by a pro even if I'm buying everything out of pocket?). I'd like to learn more about gentle ways to keep my mouth closed with the pillows though (I'm sure I can search for that here but open to any quick tips you want to leave).

Lastly, while I generally like my healthcare system - it's been really good to me. But I've been disappointed with my experience of the sleep apnea clinic and the RTs. I got this report from my one-night at-home sleep study before they gave me the machine to take home for the trial week and I feel like they did a poor job of explaining what I'm looking at and what important information I can glean from it. Any feedback here would be great.

till I fix the image here's the link ... https://i.imgur.com/eu1QzxY.jpg

Thanks!
Last edited by Berks on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pugsy

Re: The Second Night - an update!

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm

To make images not so humongous

on the right side where you see the little box of all the addresses to choose from look down below those addresses where it offers the various thumbnail sizes
Click on "Large Thumbnail" then copy the last line (link to bbc) in that box of addresses and paste it into the body of your text here.
By clicking on Large Thumbnail first the address gets changed a little and you will have a more manageable size image that we can then click on and enlarge if we need to.
You have to click on thumbnail first and then copy that last line in the box of addresses though.

For nasal/nostril tenderness...go to WalMart or similar store and over in the baby aisle is a product that nursing moms use for nipple soreness.
It's called Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream. Small tube will last a long time because you won't need much. A tiny dab will do the trick.
Use liberally during the day to help the soreness heal quickly and sparingly at bedtime (too much and your body heat causes it to liquefy and you end up with the nasal pillow in your ear (I did that once).

They removed the water chamber from the humidifier??? That's stupid.
Don't know if the headache is related to lack of humidified air or straps or sub optimal therapy. Just have to wait and see what happens when you get your forever machine and a humidifier.

Using the wedge could maybe lessen your pressure needs and might not be giving a true picture of what is needed in normal sleeping positions.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:24 pm

For understanding what you are seeing on that sleep study report go here
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... -test.html

RobySue covers most of it and more than what you had available from the home study so just disregard the stuff she talks about that you don't see on your report. Home studies don't always have the same data channels gathered as in lab studies but the basics are the same.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Berks wrote:
I noticed a few times throughout the night I was awoken because I opened my mouth, I won't know until I look at my data (which I haven't had a chance to yet) if it's enough leakage to constitute being a "mouth breather" and worthy of addressing but I'm guessing I'm a bit of mouth breather... I have a feeling I won't like the full mask though based on my experience with the full nose mask but am open to trying it (need to learn more about how to try out and exchange masks while I'm finding the right one - is there somewhere I can go to be fitted by a pro even if I'm buying everything out of pocket?). I'd like to learn more about gentle ways to keep my mouth closed with the pillows though (I'm sure I can search for that here but open to any quick tips you want to leave).
Just FYI, that doesn't necessarily mean you're a mouth breather, sometimes it's pressure equalization, sometimes, you're having an apnea and let the air come out of your mouth instead of forcing your airway open. It's one reason a lot of nasal mask people use tape or a chinstrap (or both).
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Berks

Post by Berks » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Lanolin is brilliant!! I’m a nursing mom so I already have plenty around the house!

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Starting a new thread just because it is a new day is not a good approach.
It is much better to post progress and related questions within a single thread so that there is context.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Berks

Post by Berks » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:22 pm

TedVPAP wrote:Starting a new thread just because it is a new day is not a good approach.
It is much better to post progress and related questions within a single thread so that there is context.
Noted. Thanks.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:54 am

Keep in mind a lot of advice is given for what works for certain people. For example i love the Dreamwear nasal cushions. They don't go up nose and you can buy a fitpack online with different size cushions. It comes with a thing that tells you what size you use.

Good luck!

ETA: where's my cookie lol

Berks

Post by Berks » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 am

USMCVet wrote:Keep in mind a lot of advice is given for what works for certain people. For example i love the Dreamwear nasal cushions. They don't go up nose and you can buy a fitpack online with different size cushions. It comes with a thing that tells you what size you use.

Good luck!

Lol... You get ALLLL the imaginary cookies

If the Dreamweaver doesn't go up your nose how does it seal? Did you get the insurance from cpap so you can try and return?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:42 am

Berks wrote:
USMCVet wrote:Keep in mind a lot of advice is given for what works for certain people. For example i love the Dreamwear nasal cushions. They don't go up nose and you can buy a fitpack online with different size cushions. It comes with a thing that tells you what size you use.

Good luck!

Lol... You get ALLLL the imaginary cookies

If the Dreamweaver doesn't go up your nose how does it seal? Did you get the insurance from cpap so you can try and return?
Dreamwear mask videos....May help with proper fitting

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... fr=yfp-t-s

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 am

The DreamWear cushion mask that goes under the nose will seal around the nostril area and it doesn't have to go inside the nostrils to seal.
The end of the nose and nostrils rest on the cushion and the silicone around the opening forms the seal. It's really soft and it will work surprisingly well.

Berks

Post by Berks » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:42 am

Pugsy wrote:The DreamWear cushion mask that goes under the nose will seal around the nostril area and it doesn't have to go inside the nostrils to seal.
The end of the nose and nostrils rest on the cushion and the silicone around the opening forms the seal. It's really soft and it will work surprisingly well.
So when someone chooses that, vs. the airfit, vs. the swift, vs. the nuance... it's all just them trying them out and deciding what they like on a purely subjective level?

The number of choices is a little overwhelming... amazing I'm sure when you figure out which one is right for you, but still overwhelming in the beginning with where to start. I'm comparing products via cpap.com (both machines and masks, etc) and there seem to be more similarities than differences - especially with the airsense 10 autoset vs. dreamstation autoset. when compared side by side on the site they are practically identical with the biggest difference seeming to be the built-in humidifier on the airsense. Just hard to know how to choose.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Berks wrote: it's all just them trying them out and deciding what they like on a purely subjective level?
Pretty much subjective or comfort related. They will all do their job. It's just that for some people one mask might be a better choice simply from a comfort perspective than another for any number of reasons. We all have individual and very different personal preferences and needs and different facial structure.
We have a saying about masks...one man's treasure is another man's trash and the other way around. There are masks out there that some people absolutely love and I wouldn't have one touch my face. Doesn't mean it is a bad mask...just that it is bad for me in terms of my own personal preferences, wants and needs.
Berks wrote:similarities than differences - especially with the airsense 10 autoset vs. dreamstation autoset. when compared side by side on the site they are practically identical with the biggest difference seeming to be the built-in humidifier on the airsense.
Actually the biggest difference between the 2 brand when talking auto adjusting mode is the algorithm or how it goes about deciding what pressures to use and when and the response time for whatever it decides to do.

I still think that your original leaning towards the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her would be at the top of the list if it were me.
Knowing what I know about the 2 brands and the algorithm and how they go about doing their jobs....it's what I would suggest for you if you were my sister (or brother for that matter) . I know it costs a little more initially but it's versatility might come in handy. Is it critically needed..probably not but it's not like you can find a DreamStation Auto for $100 an the AirSense for Her is $500.
Up to you as to what you can comfortably afford since you don't have insurance to help you out...but I would look long and hard at finding an AirSense 10 for Her Autoset if at all possible.
Amazon used to have some that were really reasonable but last I looked not so reasonable. That happens on Amazon a lot.

Berks

Post by Berks » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Pugsy wrote:Pretty much subjective or comfort related. They will all do their job. It's just that for some people one mask might be a better choice simply from a comfort perspective than another for any number of reasons. We all have individual and very different personal preferences and needs and different facial structure.
Is there a thread or resource for "if you have this type of face shape, try this. Or this kind of nose or allergies or etc, try this?" Not sure what search terms I'd use to look for that...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Berks wrote:
Is there a thread or resource for "if you have this type of face shape, try this. Or this kind of nose or allergies or etc, try this?" Not sure what search terms I'd use to look for that..
No. Not really.

Do you normally breathe through your nose just fine during the day and night or do you often have chronic nasal congestion issues that you can't clear up enough to breathe comfortably through your nose?

If you can comfortably use your nose during the day and night...start with the least amount of mask material as possible both in terms of headgear and mask....and I suggest the nasal pillow mask or one of the nasal cushion masks like the Swift FX Nano or even that DreamWear cushion mask.

If you have a lot of chronic allergy type of issues and you just have to mouth breathe out of physical necessity...look to start with a full face mask and I would suggest starting with the Respironics Amara View.

For people who want a full face mask just for the times when they have a cold or allergy attack going on...I would still start with nasal mask and worry about finding a suitable full face mask later.
Don't try to cover everything all at once unless you have to. This therapy is hard enough without adding more "stuff" to deal with that could make it more difficult.
Start with easy first and then see what might be needed.

Most masks will fit most faces when properly sized. There's always a few outliers but in general there's not a "this mask fits this face" kind of thing.