'Majority must be trained to adjust own pressures' -- Dr. K.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk...

'Majority must be trained to adjust own pressures' -- Dr. K.

Post by jnk... » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Perhaps this has been posted before, but I personally appreciated reading these statements made by Dr. K. in a review of a book by Dr. P.:
"2. Patients changing their own pressures

This area is another key element in extending care back into the patient’s domain. I believe the vast majority of patients must be trained to adjust their own pressure settings, if for no other reason than so many sleep doctors are stuck in the conventional wisdom that pressure settings are a static process. In reality, pressure settings should be viewed dynamically. I have noticed this issue first-hand in my own use of ASV and ABPAP over the years. There are times where I am literally adjusting settings daily, weekly or monthly to accommodate some change I am noticing in outcomes. There is no reason why patients could not be instructed in this approach to care, and given the resistance to testing in the sleep lab by so many sleep doctors and insurers, this self-care model can also work very well to further enhance the relationships between patients and their DME personnel. The model of health care for the future is clearly heading toward patient-centric and away from doctor or medical system centric. I appreciate that some patients cannot learn to approach their care in this manner, but arguably anywhere from 30 to 60% of PAP users could learn this approach, and it’s just common sense that healthcare systems should be implemented to encourage patients to understand how to gather subjective data about themselves to then make informed decisions about changing the objective pressure settings on their machines." -- http://doctorstevenpark.com/dr-barry-kr ... pap-part-5
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

dbreweur

Re: 'Majority must be trained to adjust own pressures' -- Dr. K.

Post by dbreweur » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:39 pm

I should probably get better at adjusting my own pressures instead of relying on my auto-pap to do it for me. Luckily, my numbers aren't too bad and my Pulminologist/Sleep Doc is pretty good about letting me change things as needed without prior approval.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:44 pm

dbreweur wrote:I should probably get better at adjusting my own pressures instead of relying on my auto-pap to do it for me. Luckily, my numbers aren't too bad and my Pulminologist/Sleep Doc is pretty good about letting me change things as needed without prior approval.
Drs. K. and P. mostly specialize in helping people who are having trouble with their OSA treatments. They aren't trying to make people with successful treatment feel guilty for not being more involved. But yeah, this place is often about encouraging users to be educated enough to make informed decisions about their own PAP therapy. And such statements by respected docs can come in handy for explaining to a doc one's interest in self-tweaking pressures to optimize therapy.
Last edited by jnk... on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Whenever I decide to try a new mask it seems that I also need to change my pressures a little, or adjust something. I'm trying to get comfortable with the Swift FX with the Bella Loops and found that last night I was much more comfortable with lower pressures. I can't imagine having to wait for a doctor appointment in order to do this. Along with the thinking that the DME police will put you in jail, I think that new people are afraid of their machines (anyway, I was at one time), so think they are stuck using whatever pressures the doctor decided was 'right' for them.

Interesting and on topic thread, thanks!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Lucyhere wrote:Interesting and on topic thread, thanks!
You are welcome.

Besides, I have to post something on topic once in awhile just to keep people guessing!
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 pm

jnk... wrote:
Lucyhere wrote:Interesting and on topic thread, thanks!
You are welcome.

Besides, I have to post something on topic once in awhile just to keep people guessing!
Thanks for the post and the humor.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:28 pm

dbreweur wrote:I should probably get better at adjusting my own pressures instead of relying on my auto-pap to do it for me. Luckily, my numbers aren't too bad and my Pulminologist/Sleep Doc is pretty good about letting me change things as needed without prior approval.
Actually, adjusting your own pressures includes setting the right minimum so that your autopap can best do it's job for you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 pm

jnk... wrote:Besides, I have to post something on topic once in awhile just to keep people guessing!
You're so enigmatic...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:59 am

palerider wrote:
jnk... wrote:Besides, I have to post something on topic once in awhile just to keep people guessing!
You're so enigmatic...
Well, I certainly hope you aren't trying to sew some doubt regarding the subtleties of my insidious hidden agenda.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:07 am

jnk... wrote:
palerider wrote:
You're so enigmatic...
Well, I certainly hope you aren't trying to sew some doubt regarding the subtleties of my insidious hidden agenda.
Feel better soon, jnk! I had no idea you were enigmatic.
Bleep/P10

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:26 am

I don't think there's really any question that I'm almost as enigmatic as a mixed hypopnea.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 am

jnk... wrote:
palerider wrote:
You're so enigmatic...
I'd NEVER... besides, I'm not even sure where my needles and thread are!

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 am

palerider wrote:I'd NEVER... I'm not even sure where my needles and thread are!
You know, sometimes you can be a real sow-and-sow. But hey, you reap what you so.
Last edited by jnk... on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:32 am

jnk... wrote:I don't think there's really any question that I'm almost as enigmatic as a mixed hypopnea.

And you play the guitar too... bet that adds to it.
Bleep/P10

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:45 am

jnk... wrote:
palerider wrote:I'd NEVER... I'm not even sure where my needles and thread are!
You know, sometimes you can be a real sow-and-sow. But hey, you reap what you so.
Not since I moved off the farm