Help - first time was horrible

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Help - first time was horrible

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:59 pm

Berks wrote:how do I figure out if I’m a mouth breather?
We look at the leak graphs on the software reports.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment
Is there a SD card in the slot?

First thing though is to get you comfortable so you can sleep then we worry about mouth breathing.

Sometimes you will know if it wakes you up but cross that bridge if/when you come to it.
Sometimes dry mouth is a sign of mouth breathing but it doesn't always mean that you were mouth breathing all night long or that therapy pressure was totally in the toilet. My mouth gets really dry from just 5 minutes of mouth breathing so while it might feel like I was mouth breathing all night from the dryness...according to the leak graph it was maybe 5 minutes and if I sleep through it I don't really care about mouth breathing for 5 minutes.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Welcome to the forum.
I also love using pillows.
Although adjusting to PAP can be a challenge, remember; if you can adjust to sleeping without oxygen, you can adjust to sleeping with PAP.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 pm

My first time was awkward, weird, and messy.
Oh, were we talking about cpap?

Berks

Post by Berks » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Berks wrote:how do I figure out if I’m a mouth breather?
We look at the leak graphs on the software reports.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment
Is there a SD card in the slot?

First thing though is to get you comfortable so you can sleep then we worry about mouth breathing.

Good to know. One thing at a time then. Btw... the amount of help you (ALL of you) are giving me is absolutely amazing. I am beyond grateful for it and that I found this forum. I know I’m asking a ridiculous amount of newb questions and your patience and kindness (especially in contrast to an inept respiratory therapist) is appreciated more than I’ll ever be able to say. THANK YOU!

also, yes there’s an SD card. Though I’m not sure how much I’m supposed to be messing with the loaner. I’m supposed to bring it back next week and they analyze all the data. But they didn’t tell me I couldn’t look at it in the interim so... what do I do?

TedVPAP wrote:Welcome to the forum.
I also love using pillows.
Although adjusting to PAP can be a challenge, remember; if you can adjust to sleeping without oxygen, you can adjust to sleeping with PAP.
Thanks! And - very very good point
chunkyfrog wrote:My first time was awkward, weird, and messy.
Oh, were we talking about cpap?
Oh you...

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Berks wrote:... I am beyond grateful for it and that I found this forum. I know I’m asking a ridiculous amount of newb questions and your patience and kindness (especially in contrast to an inept respiratory therapist) is appreciated more than I’ll ever be able to say. THANK YOU!

also, yes there’s an SD card. Though I’m not sure how much I’m supposed to be messing with the loaner. I’m supposed to bring it back next week and they analyze all the data. But they didn’t tell me I couldn’t look at it in the interim so... what do I do?
We are here because we have all have all been there.
If you have an SD card, you do not have to mess with the settings. But there is something very powerful about seeing your raw data. Summary data is abstract; seeing every breath helps you understand what is going (or not going) on.
The three links below will help you see and share what is going on.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 pm

You can look at the data on the SD card at any time. No one will know that you looked unless you tell them.

Besides...it's a loaner. You aren't going to be buying a machine from them anyway.
And there's no law that says that the patient can't look at their data...and there's no law that says you can't change things either.
They to to make out like there is but there isn't.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Berks

Post by Berks » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 pm

checking out these links now...

who knew all of this existed. an entire world I've been completely oblivious to and now feel the overwhleming need to become an expert on ....

zinnia

Post by zinnia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:57 am

Hang in there! I'm new to C-Pap therapy too. I had a pillow mask and loved that it was small and comfortable but I couldn't get enough air. When I switched to the nasal pillow I felt relieved with more air but I had alot of leakage and now am experimenting with full face masks because my therapist thinks I am breathing through my mouth. I've been told that it is a mind/body change and that we will all get used to the mask as a part of us and be able to sleep and breathe without even thinking about it. I have progressed and have gone into this with a positive attitude that it will work. I know the benefits will pay off for you. It's been a bumpy road but I was told that this is all normal. Try different masks and see if you are more comfortable. All the best to you.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:27 am

zinnia wrote:Hang in there! I'm new to C-Pap therapy too. I had a pillow mask and loved that it was small and comfortable but I couldn't get enough air. When I switched to the nasal pillow
I'm not sure what you're talking about, because "pillow mask" and "nasal pillow" are the same.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:30 am

Berks wrote:checking out these links now...

who knew all of this existed. an entire world I've been completely oblivious to and now feel the overwhleming need to become an expert on ....
It’s great and empowering to become an expert in you own health and any assistance you can give others is greatly appreciated.

Jason

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Berks wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

My diagnostic test was one night at home with a monitor that was a watch attached to a finger monitor. Based on that they gave me the machine to take home which apparently has fixed settings for anyone (starting at a 4 and going up as needed based on your breathing or lack thereof).

I called to ask if there’s a way to adjust this and was told no. I explained I felt like I was suffocating and she kinda sounded surprised like there was no way I could feel that way because even at a 4 it’s more air and pressure than I’d be breathing without it. I was also told I shouldn’t be able to breathe out as that’s part of the point - but wouldn’t that mean I’m just rebreathing carbon dioxide??
Thats too bad.

Are you on the NHS?

Berks

Post by Berks » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote: Are you on the NHS?
I don't know what that is

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:00 pm

It helps if we know where you are.
NHS is National Health Service in Great Britain.
Their rules are somewhat different than here.

Berks

Post by Berks » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:05 am

Having a mini panic moment... Can someone just humor me and reassure me that I'm not rebrething in a bunch of exhaled Carbin dioxide and giving myself brain damage?

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 am

Berks wrote:Having a mini panic moment... Can someone just humor me and reassure me that I'm not rebrething in a bunch of exhaled Carbin dioxide and giving myself brain damage?
You won’t be breathing CO2 your mask has a vent on it where the air comes out. When you breath out the CO2 mixes with the air in the mask and blows out the vent. You won’t die or poison yourself.

Jason