My Dreamstation is out of control.....help please.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bucko

Re: My Dreamstation is out of control.....help please.

Post by bucko » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:52 am

USMCVet wrote:Weren't the Olympics recently held in China? Their air quality isn't as good as USA.
Air quality where I am is fine. Better than most cities in the US. I am not near any of those Chinese cities you read about.

bucko

Post by bucko » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:54 am

Julie wrote:Sleeping on your front is fine (been doing it forever, pre and post-cpap) but on your back is bad as it provokes many more apneas.
I can go back to the front ok. I am used to it from before. I'll also try it as well.

ShiftWorker

Post by ShiftWorker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:24 am

Hello Bucko,

I am a stomach sleeper myself, i have found that this even helps with mask leaks! I have also noticed that at times for reasons unknown to me that I will "tuck" my chin more than my normal sleep position, I think this ads to nights that my sleep is not good and I wake feeling not rested. I assume that when "Tucking my chin" gives me more obstructive events.

I would try the straight pressure described above to see if that helps with the CA's.
Any way just a thought I had while my "Kids" are sleeping so well.

P.S. I live near Denver and at an altitude over 5280. and need to use an ASV unit to control my CA events.

bucko

Post by bucko » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:33 pm

After several days here is what has happened........

I set min and max to 10.5. AHI was still very bad 16-17

Than I set 10.5/15. AHI went down to 7.29

I then set 10.5/16 and AHI jumped to 13.78

Now set it 10.5/14 And AHI went to 4.87 next night it was 5.58 (last night)

I will leave it here and test a few more nights to see where it goes.

Any thoughts?

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:51 pm

bucko wrote:After several days here is what has happened........

I set min and max to 10.5. AHI was still very bad 16-17

Than I set 10.5/15. AHI went down to 7.29

I then set 10.5/16 and AHI jumped to 13.78

Now set it 10.5/14 And AHI went to 4.87 next night it was 5.58 (last night)

I will leave it here and test a few more nights to see where it goes.

Any thoughts?
Those results are difficult to interpret -- they vary in ways I would not expect.

How does your mattress and pillow differ between China and your time in the US? Is your diet significantly different? Significantly more or less caffeine? Alcohol?

John

bucko

Post by bucko » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:38 am

There really is not any change in my eating, sleeping pattern. Only altitude has changed.

Is there something in the Dreamstattion setting concerning altitude that I don't find?

Suenyo

Post by Suenyo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:10 am

It would be helpful to post a couple of charts at the new pressure. also, check your filter for dirt.

How do you feel upon awakening? Any congestion?
Life is a dream…if I'm wearing my Resmed AirTouch F20 cushion and my Autosense 10 Autoset isn't being hijacked by some dung-eating state security troll.

bucko

Post by bucko » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:48 am

Suenyo wrote:It would be helpful to post a couple of charts at the new pressure. also, check your filter for dirt.

How do you feel upon awakening? Any congestion?
My filter is clean. Here are the last 2 days with the best pressure setting thus far.

https://app.box.com/s/95vcwk7wcngq5ltu8awu2wwwss0ar25a

https://app.box.com/s/4fmiyb7zn36e5v7xht8boksepywql1y3

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:53 am

I wonder if your body is now getting used to the difference in altitude and that is the variable here and not the pressure.
I don't understand how it might be affecting the obstructive stuff (and that's assuming the machine is flagging them correctly).
Maybe the machine is getting them wrong...it can happen. Maybe they were really central in nature despite the OA flagging and that we know would be common when going from lower altitudes to a much higher altitudes.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Suenyo

Post by Suenyo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Well, you have exceeded my knowledge level; your AHI is lower than mine, and these days I'm not making more than 3 hours at a time.

So, I hope it keeps going down. There is however, always the possibility of fine particulate matter blowing in from India...or, whatever is killing those antelopes in Kazakstan?

good luck
Life is a dream…if I'm wearing my Resmed AirTouch F20 cushion and my Autosense 10 Autoset isn't being hijacked by some dung-eating state security troll.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:37 pm

bucko wrote:There really is not any change in my eating, sleeping pattern. Only altitude has changed.

Is there something in the Dreamstattion setting concerning altitude that I don't find?

I have no clue as to what is affecting your AHI, but..........

All data-capable machines ( P/R or ResMed ) automatically adjust for altitude to the following:

P/R:
Altitude Compensation
This device automatically compensates for altitude up to 7,500 feet. No manual adjustment is necessary.

ResMed:
Operating altitude Sea level to 8,500’ (2,591 m)

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

bucko

Post by bucko » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:46 am

Well ok, thanks all for the suggestions. I will just have to call it normal for me and just wait until I get back to CA to enjoy decent AHI numbers.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:30 pm

You're right that the electric voltage is not an isssue. The DreamStation (and almost all CPAPs made recently) will adjust for that automatically.

Also, the altitude is within the range that the DreamStation should automatically adjust for. I don't think that it's possible that altitude adjustment can be turned off (either deliberately or by accident). Remember, however, that altitude adjustment only means that the same pressure is delivered at sea level as at your home location. It is possible that your needs might be different at different altitudes (no way the machine can guess that).

Since you ruled out dirty air there might be micro environmental issues such as your bed, bedding, or bed-wear, the ambient temperature or humidity in the room, mold or dust, etc. Also, does anybody smoke near the CPAP? IF you smoke at hime but stayed in a hotel that did not allow smoking, that could explain it!

Last edited by D.H. on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajack

Post by ajack » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:44 pm

I'd raise the min to 12 and open the max to 16, that should take care of most stuff, the cluster at 3:30 may still happen if it is positional time will tell and stuff can be done. dreamstations are slow to respond and like the min closer to the 95% pressure.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:33 am

I live a mile high as well. I have had a lot of issues with air escaping my mouth because of it, and it also makes my apnea worse since the regular pressure is lower... so things to try would be limit mouth air escape by useing a full mask or a nasal interface and taping (usually with a couple pin holes), or a wide cloth headband over the mouth combined with a chin strap. Another option would be higher pressure, but I'll let Pugsy deal with that because the machine stats are much better for determining if that well help, and so is Pugsy.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"