Considering nasal pillows again... Taping suggestions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nicholasjh1

Considering nasal pillows again... Taping suggestions

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 am

So my only issue with nasal pillows is that I get mouth leaks due to the pressure differential. can anyone suggest different taping tricks? My problem with tape is I could never find tape that stuck to me skin very well... either too oily or too much stubble I guess... (except for duct, but then that tears my skin. Any suggestions? Can you eventually get used to duct tape? I tried various medical tapes from the pharmacy (paper & gauze), masking tape.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Pugsy

Re: Considering nasal pillows again... Taping suggestions

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 am

Man I don't know if I would want to have to resort to something like Gorilla tape just to keep my mouth shut unless it would also remove those pesky stubborn black hairs I am getting on my upper lip. That tape is pretty hard on the skin and can cause too much exfoliation.
I don't know what to tell you to try because I got lucky with cheap blue painters tape that I had laying around left over from painting the kitchen and I am the queen of tightwads and won't buy anything new if something I already have works fine.

What width and length of the tape you have tried ...have you tried?

Just how bad is the mouth leaking you are wanting to prevent? Is that mouth leaking waking you up?

I quit taping about 3 months into therapy because I realized that my mouth opening really wasn't happening all that much and large leaks weren't horrible and I was sleeping through whatever little mouth opening I might be doing.

I am assuming that your mouth opening isn't related to nasal congestion issues????

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ShinRyoku

Post by ShinRyoku » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 am

I use 3M Medipore H-Soft Cloth Surgical Tape. The roll I bought came perforated, which is a nice bonus so I don't have to cut it for the right size.

It sticks well enough to my lips, and I am able to peel it off my mustache and beard the next morning without much discomfort. Like Pugsy, I am starting to wonder if I need the tape anymore...
-Amin
Owner/editor: https://www.sleepapneagroup.com/
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Pugsy wrote:Man I don't know if I would want to have to resort to something like Gorilla tape just to keep my mouth shut unless it would also remove those pesky stubborn black hairs I am getting on my upper lip. That tape is pretty hard on the skin and can cause too much exfoliation.
I don't know what to tell you to try because I got lucky with cheap blue painters tape that I had laying around left over from painting the kitchen and I am the queen of tightwads and won't buy anything new if something I already have works fine.

What width and length of the tape you have tried ...have you tried?

Just how bad is the mouth leaking you are wanting to prevent? Is that mouth leaking waking you up?

I quit taping about 3 months into therapy because I realized that my mouth opening really wasn't happening all that much and large leaks weren't horrible and I was sleeping through whatever little mouth opening I might be doing.

I am assuming that your mouth opening isn't related to nasal congestion issues????
You are correct, just some bubbles that cause pressure equalization. but it was waking me up quite often. It's possible I might be able to get used to it after a long time I suppose, but I was using nasal pillows for several months and it was still waking me up pretty often. I could try wider painters tape or the 3m Stuff the ShinRyoku mentioned.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

stevezoller

Post by stevezoller » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm

I use Nexcare Sensitive Skin tape over my lips. Then a longer strip of 3M’s 2” Millipore tape over that. I have no issues with leaks nor skin pain with this combination. I also do a quick soap wash first to get any oil off. And I fold over the ends of the tape to make it easy to find a tab in the morning to pull off the tape.

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:33 pm

nicholasjh1 wrote:So my only issue with nasal pillows is that I get mouth leaks due to the pressure differential. can anyone suggest different taping tricks? My problem with tape is I could never find tape that stuck to me skin very well... either too oily or too much stubble I guess... (except for duct, but then that tears my skin. Any suggestions? Can you eventually get used to duct tape? I tried various medical tapes from the pharmacy (paper & gauze), masking tape.
I just picked up a roll at Walmart of: 1 inch width "Nexcare Sensitive Skin" tape. $6.92 per roll. I roll one edge a little back on itself to make a tab, if I ever have to pull it off in a hurry. I then just tape up my lips after pursing them a little tightly, and it sticks VERY well, and all night.

It's VERY sticky, but pulls off fairly easily without any sort of skin tearing/yanking/hurting.

My only suggestion, is if you are a drinker, do NOT ever tape your mouth shut after a night of drinking. Otherwise I have COPD (chronic bronchitis) and taping doesn't even bother me when I have to cough. Believe it or not, you CAN cough even with your mouth taped shut (practice it if you don't believe me). As long as it's a DRY cough that is...

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:46 pm

i'm slightly off topic, as you asked specifically about TAPE, but-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112758&st=0&sk=t&sd ... i#p1086296
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

robz

Post by robz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:20 pm

3m Nexcare sensitive skin tape.....best of both worlds that I have found.....although, yes, keeping the face fairly clean shaven does help...I used to shave once maybe twice a week, now its about every other day if I want that perfect seal...

cub4bearin

Post by cub4bearin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 pm

I use poligrip strips for dentures. Put it between lips and let it do the job. In the morning just wash it off with water.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:53 am

I have been using this for many years: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... paper+tape. It works great for me.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

dtgallagher15

Post by dtgallagher15 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:37 pm

I used to tape too, and I would use Nexcare waterproof medical tape. I did three vertical strips rather than one horizontal strip. Then for good measure I would put a hairband on my head over my mouth. And then chinstrap.

Recently, I bought two $0.97 Wilson mouth guards. The first I molded to my bottom teeth, and the second I balled up and stuck to the inside of the other mouth guard. It puts enough pressure on my tongue that I don't leak anything all night, and I don't need a chinstrap to keep my mouth closed since my tongue is always in the right position sealing my mouth.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:48 pm

dtgallagher15 wrote:I used to tape too, and I would use Nexcare waterproof medical tape. I did three vertical strips rather than one horizontal strip. Then for good measure I would put a hairband on my head over my mouth. And then chinstrap.

Recently, I bought two $0.97 Wilson mouth guards. The first I molded to my bottom teeth, and the second I balled up and stuck to the inside of the other mouth guard. It puts enough pressure on my tongue that I don't leak anything all night, and I don't need a chinstrap to keep my mouth closed since my tongue is always in the right position sealing my mouth.
What pressure do you use?
Please post a picture. TIA

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

robz

Post by robz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:42 pm

that's interesting.....would to see a pic as well.....would love to ditch chin strap as I have to really tighten up so much that It sometimes bothers my chin....

dtgallagher15

Post by dtgallagher15 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 pm

https://i.imgur.com/qWOtL4u.jpg

Note: the mouth guard doesn't cover my back molars, so don't get the wrong impression that the "tongue blocker" goes way far back there. It only holds my tong back about an inch or so.

It works on the principle that if you keep the tip of your tongue from getting close to your front teeth, it "scrunches" your whole tongue and forces the very back up. It works for me. My pressure had to go up from 12 to 13 though. Might be worth a try.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 am

Try the mask I wear. It has pillows and covers the mouth so no lost therapy air breathing through nose or mouth. Click on mask listed below for details.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.