Considering nasal pillows again... Taping suggestions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nicholasjh1

Re: Considering nasal pillows again... Taping suggestions

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:Try the mask I wear. It has pillows and covers the mouth so no lost therapy air breathing through nose or mouth. Click on mask listed below for details.
Thanks! I already have that mask at it has horrible mouth leak for me... I have a rather deep face and mouth, and long mouth, but thinner from side to side if that makes sense... so I have a lot of issues with side mouth leak.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 pm

robz wrote:3m Nexcare sensitive skin tape.....best of both worlds that I have found.....although, yes, keeping the face fairly clean shaven does help...I used to shave once maybe twice a week, now its about every other day if I want that perfect seal...
Got this and it's working pretty well. put the holes in it as well per someones suggestion and it helps with the cheek puffing.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm

zonker wrote:i'm slightly off topic, as you asked specifically about TAPE, but-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112758&st=0&sk=t&sd ... i#p1086296
Just ordered a set of these to try. Sounds perfect... Yes I get the lip sputter, and this should help avoid that, but also avoid cheek puffing and aeriophagia (which I got for the first time with a really good taping a couple nights ago. had to wake up 3 times to burp! putting a hole in the tape helped cheek puffing and aerophagia, but this may help even more. I'll report back.

haha. Just so everyone knows I'm a tester for work, I kind of can't help but keep testing for the best configuration!

Edit: BTW this is a link for head bands over the mouth instead of tape.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:52 pm

nicholasjh1 wrote:

Just ordered a set of these to try. Sounds perfect.
hope it works for you!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:03 am

zonker wrote:
nicholasjh1 wrote:

Just ordered a set of these to try. Sounds perfect.
hope it works for you!
First night, but so far so good, woke up feeling good, extremely low leak rate, never woke up to cheek puffing or lip sputter. Yeah! No aerophagia which I was getting from the tape not letting enough air out.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 am

nicholasjh1 wrote: First night, but so far so good, woke up feeling good, extremely low leak rate, never woke up to cheek puffing or lip sputter. Yeah! No aerophagia which I was getting from the tape not letting enough air out.
yay! so glad it works for you. tossing them in the laundry will extend their life somewhat. usually, i can get 6 to 8 weeks use out of them before they just get too stretched out to work well any more.

also, i don't think i mentioned, but i use the bands in conjunction with a soft cervical collar. with bands alone, i can get a slight bit of air through partially parted lips.

anyway, i'm so happy that the hair bands are seeming to solve your problem!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:26 pm

zonker wrote:
nicholasjh1 wrote: First night, but so far so good, woke up feeling good, extremely low leak rate, never woke up to cheek puffing or lip sputter. Yeah! No aerophagia which I was getting from the tape not letting enough air out.
yay! so glad it works for you. tossing them in the laundry will extend their life somewhat. usually, i can get 6 to 8 weeks use out of them before they just get too stretched out to work well any more.

also, i don't think i mentioned, but i use the bands in conjunction with a soft cervical collar. with bands alone, i can get a slight bit of air through partially parted lips.

anyway, i'm so happy that the hair bands are seeming to solve your problem!
Yep, I use a chin strap, to solve the other leak problem. I use a stretchy one (actually I've used hair bands to good effect before, though the wide ones you suggested would be too small for my head), currently I'm using 1 of my eye masks as the chin strap. my chin rests in the "mask" portion. The eye masks are leopard print so I look especially sheek .

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 pm

[quote="nicholasjh1" The eye masks are leopard print so I look especially sheek .[/quote]

oh, yes, SO very important when you have that certain someone spending the night!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

dwood003

Post by dwood003 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:18 am

I had problems when I started CPAP with nasal pillows, it wasn’t until I got software that I found the problem. The air was going in my nose and out my mouth. My solution was to tape my mouth, not that simple. 1st I tried a chin strap, tightened it so tight that I sheared off a fixed bridge. Thru trial and error and checking my software every day, I found what worked for me.
I remove my partial and place POLIGRIP denture adhesive strips between my lips, they are a little too wide, I trim them, so they stay out of my mouth. Run them under warm water till they are soft and sticky, place them on your bottom lip so they cross where they meet, then gently close lips.
Because I’m missing the front top 6 teeth the taping again thru trial and error is critical, its purpose is to prevent the strips from blowing out. I use 2 types of the 3M micropore, the blue one which comes of the skin easily and the clear tape overlapping around the edge about 1/8th of an inch. Lastly the chin strap, its purpose is to prevent the tape from being disturbed, just tight enough to keep it in place.
To much heated humidity will melt the strips, most of the time I use air over water with no heat.
In the morning wash face over sink with soapy cold water, strips should come off intact no mess.
Find out what works for you and stick with it.
Also 1st I shave, wash my face and apply Equate Anti-Wrinkle Cream. The cream keeps the skin soft and prevents strap marks. My cheeks never blow up probably because the chin strap goes on 1st and the head gear over it. In the morning after washing my face I apply the cream again, it has a Sun Screen; I’m in FL.

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Leaks can be complicated. Recently i had an injury the forced me to sleep in a recliner for several weeks. I used nasal pillows and had never had mouth leaks. But as soon as i got in thr chair my leaks went through the roof and i had to use a chin strap which I hated. As soon as i could lie down in a b d the leaks went away. Go figure.