"My Pillow"

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jay Aitchsee

Re: "My Pillow"

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Jay Aitchsee wrote: Hmm. I suppose one could throw in a piece of foam, memory foam, or buckwheat in for the bottom layer.
It does open a world of opportunity for modifications with the way the pancake pillow has room for any number of things besides just what they ship with the product.

One example that comes to my mind is maybe a small buckwheat hull pillow on the bottom and a layer or two of something else for the people who like the support that buckwheat offers but the noise of the hulls is annoying.
The hulls don't particularly annoy me with the noise but I can see that some people with sensitive hearing might be annoyed.
I dunno, I may just have to get one. Anything that presents a "world of opportunity for modifications" is hard to pass up

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:29 pm

"Pancake" pillow; from what I understand, thin layers of down alternative,
that can be removed and rearranged to suit the user.
A bit spendy, IMO, but a brilliant scheme--now if someone would sell a pancake mattress . . .
---but with custom selected densities and materials for the layers.
Maybe more practical as a DIY?

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:03 pm

I felt like I really dodged a bullet when I actually picked up a My Pillow in a store. OMG. I would have been furious if I had paid money for something that felt like that. I would think it could be easily replicated with peanut packing material in a pillow case. It was substandard on so many levels. I wouldn't even take one if it were free, but, to each his own.

I'm searching for a luxury pillow like those that my cousin bought about 6 years ago from a Bed/mattress store. I was with her and I still don't know the type. The store has lost its records. (Sigh) And she now has dementia. On with my search. It was heavy, but, not too heavy. It didn't seem like memory foam, but, wasn't down. Both of hers got tossed, (long story), but, I pray that I can find one like the ones she had. With mattresses and pillows, I feel somewhat like The Princess and The Pea. lol My last favorite that is okay, not great is bamboo. It's okay, but, I want something more substantial.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:27 pm

chunkyfrog wrote: ...now if someone would sell a pancake mattress . . .
---but with custom selected densities and materials for the layers.
Maybe more practical as a DIY?
Already available - but, if you want pricey, youve got it. Bought one of these last year and it works wonderfully.
The bed - scroll down to see how it is arranged https://reverie.com/products/mattresses The mattress uses cylinders of differing densities of latex arranged in a matrix to provide differing levels of firmness to various parts of the body.
In going back to the Reverie website, I found they now have an adjustable pillow much like the "Pancake Pillow" - its firmness adjustability come from two inserts, each made from a filling of differing densities of natural latex, either or both can be added to the pillow - but it costs a lot more than the Pancake.
https://reverie.com/sweet-slumbertm-4-in-1-pillow

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Definitely DIY time for a new pillow.
(frog clearing off sewing table)

glarnold

Post by glarnold » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Just my two cents - I tried the "My Pillow" nearly two years ago, and could not believe how well it held my head. We got a medium and a firm. The firm was a little too firm. We removed some of the stuffing, and have a very good cpap pillow for the RV. The medium was "just right." There are a few tricks to use it. I'm a side sleeper and a mouth breather, and use the Quatro Pro FFM or its brother. I've found that when I place my head onto the pillow, and lean heavy on it, it creates a perfect cushion for the head and neck, and wraps around the ffm to seal completely. My absolute favorite of the many I've tried so far.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 pm

When you say it wraps around your FFM completely, wouldn't that block the vents? That's one of the things I'm having a hard time with regarding pillows - finding a position in which I'm comfy but I'm not blocking off the vents.

glarnold

Post by glarnold » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:24 am

No. It doesn't block anything. It simply supports the mask at the level it's on your face.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:38 am

I have found that in most pillows, you have to hang the mask over the side of the pillow, when side sleeping. The "cut-out" pillows help, but you still need to hang over the side.

Sheriff

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:30 am

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1