ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
treydawgmt
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm

ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by treydawgmt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 pm

Hello,

I have a ResMed S9 Autoset CPAP that I (with the assistance of this group) setup a few years ago. Overall it works pretty well. I use the Climate control hose, and when I plug it in it tells me the climate hose is connected. I use this primarily at the fire station, which has some poor sleeping scenarios in general. Usually very dry, either VERY hot or VERY cold, and not often a lot in between. I'm trying to make sure all I need to do for those hose to work is plug it in? I get humidified air for sure, but occasionally at least, I get a TON of water in my hose and nose, even when using the heater. This happens much more frequently when the room is cold (probably 62-65) than when it is warm (70-75). I thought this was the main benefit of the heated hose? I use almost an entire chamber of water most nights also. Anything I can do, look at, etc?

Thanks!

_________________
MaskHumidifier
Additional Comments: Sleep Mapper Data Uploader

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 6707
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:40 pm

treydawgmt wrote: I get a TON of water in my hose and nose, even when using the heater.
Is your hose running down from your mask to your machine so that any excess condensation in the hose runs back into the humidifier tank instead of the mask?

treydawgmt wrote:I use almost an entire chamber of water most nights also.
Have you tried adjusting the humidity control down by 0.5 per night to see if the problem goes away and you still get enough humidity to keep the nasal passages from drying? (Some of us don't even use a humidifier.) The proper setting is going to depend on the ambient humidity and temperature in the bedroom and variables of your own bodily functions.

BTW, do you get dry mouth at night?

treydawgmt
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by treydawgmt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:47 pm

My hose frequently goes all sorts of ways. It's usually lying on the floor at the station that is colder, as the beds make it harder to raise it. Maybe I'll have to put a hook to hook the hose above my head?

I adjust frequently, but do need quite a bit of humidity. I get dry mouth if it's not high enough, and even then sometimes get dry mouth with it set around 5.5/6.5.

_________________
MaskHumidifier
Additional Comments: Sleep Mapper Data Uploader

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 6707
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:16 pm

treydawgmt wrote:My hose frequently goes all sorts of ways. It's usually lying on the floor at the station that is colder, as the beds make it harder to raise it. Maybe I'll have to put a hook to hook the hose above my head?
Confused by what you mean?? If you run part of the hose higher than your mask, you increase the chance that "rainout" will run into the mask. I place my machine about a foot lower than the top level of my mattress and run the hose up from the machine directly to the mask. (This helps direct any rainout back to the humidifier tank instead of the mask. Not using a humidifier, I do it because the lower machine position also reduces the quiet hum of the machine blower.)

treydawgmt wrote:I get dry mouth if it's not high enough, and even then sometimes get dry mouth with it set around 5.5/6.5.
This sounds like you are breathing through your mouth for at least part of the night. It would also explain why the humidifier is consuming so much water - it's going out through your mouth.

I recommend you deal with the mouthbreathing. You could be losing the therapeutic pressure level and having breathing events while the mouth is open. Solutions include chin strap, cervical collar and taping the mouth closed. You can also try training to keep the mouth closed - place the tip of the tongue on the roof of the mouth just behind the front teeth. Please ask questions if interested.

treydawgmt
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by treydawgmt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:36 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
treydawgmt wrote:My hose frequently goes all sorts of ways. It's usually lying on the floor at the station that is colder, as the beds make it harder to raise it. Maybe I'll have to put a hook to hook the hose above my head?
Confused by what you mean?? If you run part of the hose higher than your mask, you increase the chance that "rainout" will run into the mask. I place my machine about a foot lower than the top level of my mattress and run the hose up from the machine directly to the mask. (This helps direct any rainout back to the humidifier tank instead of the mask. Not using a humidifier, I do it because the lower machine position also reduces the quiet hum of the machine blower.)
Sometimes it's above me, sometimes part of the hose is above me and part on the floor, sometimes it is all on the ground. I've never much paid attention to correlation to hose position and water. Makes sense now that you say that.
ChicagoGranny wrote:
treydawgmt wrote:I get dry mouth if it's not high enough, and even then sometimes get dry mouth with it set around 5.5/6.5.
This sounds like you are breathing through your mouth for at least part of the night. It would also explain why the humidifier is consuming so much water - it's going out through your mouth.

I recommend you deal with the mouthbreathing. You could be losing the therapeutic pressure level and having breathing events while the mouth is open. Solutions include chin strap, cervical collar and taping the mouth closed. You can also try training to keep the mouth closed - place the tip of the tongue on the roof of the mouth just behind the front teeth. Please ask questions if interested.
None of my stats at all indicate any leakage, my numbers are great, and my wife thinks I don't sleep with my mouth open. Not saying I don't at all, but it doesn't point that way? I use very, very little water with my Phillips machine at home (I forget which one), so that also makes me think I don't. Unless maybe at work I sleep differently.

Thanks so far!

_________________
MaskHumidifier
Additional Comments: Sleep Mapper Data Uploader

User avatar
JimW159
Posts: 682
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:26 am
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by JimW159 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:40 pm

The first thing I notice is your stated problem unit is a ResMed S9 ClimateLine hose and your profile shows a PR 50 series humidifier. The two don't match - which humidifier do you have, PR 50 or ResMed H4i? If you no longer use the PR, perhaps you might update your profile.
Having said that, since you are not able to always bed down at the station in the same place each time, you need to establish a standard configuration for your machine when you are using it. Or, at least, an attempt. The ideal is for the humidifier to be able to produce humidified air that is warm enough to not easily produce precipitation enroute to you. Also the hose temperature should be high enough to maintain the same result. In doing this, the following may help:
1) The machine, humidifier and the hose path should be somewhat lower than your head when you are sleeping (the lowest point in the path should be the tank, not your lungs)
2) The hose should have a bight in its path that is higher than your head (think the opposite of a P-trap in a drain line - it has to shed, not hold, water preferably back to the tank)
3) The humidifier should be set at a temperature a few degrees above the area's ambient temperature (this and 4 are intended to minimize precipitation)
4) The hose should also be a few degrees higher than ambient

You already know how to deal with your turnout, now you need to establish a standard and practice for your turn-in.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: Brevida™ Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Primary mask = F&P Brevida BU ResMed P10 - Pressure = 9-17 On CPAP since 12/05/2008 Prior ID on CPAPTalk.com = JimW203
Last edited by JimW159 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 43840
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:40 pm

What humidity setting and hose air temp setting are you using with the S9?

Condensation in the mask or hose...sounds like you need to increase the hose air temp.
If you are using the automatic setting for humidity and hose air you may want to change it to manual so that you can set humidity and hose air temp separately.
Do you know how to do that?

Things to do to fight condensation...see this thread posts #2 and 3. You have several options.
viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

User avatar
zoocrewphoto
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 pm
Location: Seatac, WA

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:53 am

I have found that at home, I can use a cooler air temp which I prefer. But when I share a hotel room with my sister or sleep or at her place, I have to turn up the temp on my humidifier / heated hose. She keeps everything cooler, so I will get a horrible sound in the hose from water. I only have to do this when sleeping in cooler places than normal.

_________________
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: pressure range 11-17, also using Oracle mask
Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 6707
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:55 am

JimW159 wrote:2) The hose should have a bight in its path that is higher than your head (think the opposite of a P-trap in a drain line - it has to shed, not hold, water preferably back to the tank)
That's not necessary, and it might cause more problems.

The analogy to a P-trap is flawed. A P-trap is designed to hold water and trap gases. In the case of a CPAP hose, we want the gases (room air) to flow through the hose and the water (rainout) to flow back to the humidifier tank.

Depending on a variety of factors, sleep position(s) and sleep activity being the most important, a bight might help with hose management. But as far as rainout, a hose running continuously down to the machine is more effective.

Individuals should work out what works well for their own comfort and effectiveness.

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 6707
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:05 am

treydawgmt wrote:None of my stats at all indicate any leakage, my numbers are great, and my wife thinks I don't sleep with my mouth open. Not saying I don't at all, but it doesn't point that way? I use very, very little water with my Phillips machine at home (I forget which one), so that also makes me think I don't. Unless maybe at work I sleep differently.
High water consumption and this:
I get dry mouth if it's not high enough, and even then sometimes get dry mouth with it set around 5.5/6.5.
are indications your mouth might be opening. It could be for very short time periods. It takes five minutes or less of open mouth to dry it badly.

Personally, at this point, I would work on hose management and eliminating rainout. Dry mouth can be visited later if it is a significant problem for you.

treydawgmt
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by treydawgmt » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 am

Ok every, thanks for the replys so far. Sorry it took a bit, being at home with 3 kids it's much harder to reply then when at the fire station! Haha.

A few things. I have Sjogren's syndrome, which leads to dry mouth, so I'm not really that worried about dry mouth.

I have no clue how to change the heat settings for the tubing or anything like that. I probably need to do that. If someone could point me in that direction I'd appreciate it.

Last shift on Wednesday night I moved my machine to about 6" below the bed on a different shelf of the night stand. The machine was about 2 feet off the floor maybe. I had the hose drop to the floor and then come back up. Had water in the hose, but not much, and was able to disconnect the hose and shake it out. That happened only once. I'm sort of limited in my setups, so I'll have to move it, but the machine can be at bed level, about 6" below, or on the floor. I'll try some more, but if you've got any more ideas there too, I'll hear them!

Thanks again!

_________________
MaskHumidifier
Additional Comments: Sleep Mapper Data Uploader

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 6707
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:21 am

treydawgmt wrote:I have no clue how to change the heat settings for the tubing or anything like that. I probably need to do that. If someone could point me in that direction I'd appreciate it.
https://www.resmed.com/ja-jp/dam/docume ... ow_eng.pdf

treydawgmt wrote: I had the hose drop to the floor and then come back up. Had water in the hose, but not much, and was able to disconnect the hose and shake it out.
That's very good you have the machine 6 inches below the top of the mattress. I would try to avoid that any part of the hose is below the connection with the machine. As you experienced, that is where rainout gets trapped and doesn't flow back into the humidifier tank. On the other, hand if you get your setting for hose temp and humidity level optimized, the rainout should go away.

User avatar
chunkyfrog
Posts: 24227
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Nebraska--what does not kill us, makes us stronger

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:30 am

The Resmed hose cozy can be used on either the heated hose or the regular slimline.
I would use that if I could not keep the hose off the cold firehouse floor.
Also, thank you for your service.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Backup: Devillbiss Intellipap Autoadjust
I once was lost in apnea; but now I'm found--breathing easily all night long.
Medicare suppliers:
https://www.medicare.gov/supplierdirectory/search.html

treydawgmt
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by treydawgmt » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Ok,

So I'm hoping modifying the climate settings will help, because either I'm slow (quite possible) or I'm misunderstanding people. From my mask to my hose should be a continuous downward slope someone said. No loop above my head, and not on the floor. The problem is, my area is as wide as my bed and a half maybe, and this is a twin size bed. So I've got maybe 8" from the bed to the machine. I don't think it's possible to have the mask go in a continuous downward slope to the machine, unless I'm missing something.

_________________
MaskHumidifier
Additional Comments: Sleep Mapper Data Uploader

User avatar
Okie bipap
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:14 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma

Re: ResMed S9 Climate Hose Question

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:14 pm

My machine sits below the level of the mattress, and goes up over the head board, then down to my mask. My wife's machine is set up the same way. What you need is a hose management system that prevents dips in your hose, and possibly a hose cover. I have found I sometimes get water poling in the low spots in the hose when it sags. This is especially true when we are some place other than home. We each now use a hose boss to keep the hose elevated when we travel. We stick it on the headboard or wall at the head of the bed.

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ F20 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: IPAP 12-22, ps 4, Sleepyhead software