CPAP and TSA screening

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mrcrayola

CPAP and TSA screening

Post by mrcrayola » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:16 am

Happy 2018, all. I will be traveling with my Dreamstation for the first time next week. All U.S., so no worries about voltages. I'm contemplating packing it in my suitcase, as I may already have two carry-ons. I presume some of you have done this before. I'm curious what your experience with TSA has been. Do they just automatically go through your suitcase or bag because they see it (and perhaps the hose) in their scans?

When you have carried it onboard, any TSA wariness?

Thanks much,

mc
Just an average joe on his way from here to there...

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Re: CPAP and TSA screening

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:36 am

Happy 2018 to you! For me, medical items should be packed separately to protect from damage or loss. I use a standalone CPAP carrying bag and take it on with my other carry on item(s). The airlines I use do not consider it as a carry on item, unless other non-medically needed items are present (clothing, sundry items, etc,,,). TSA concerns or interest in my CPAP bag and contents vary from airport to airport, inspector to inspector. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, but prepare for it to be inspected to be safe. Ask them to change to clean gloves if they will be physically touching your machine, mask, hose or other accessory equipment. Personally, I think this should be standard procedure for medical equipment, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Hope this helps.
John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:00 am

Carry on your machine in a separate bag and mark it as a medical device. According to FAA rules (DOT rule Title 14, CFR part 382) US airlines must not count it towards your carry-on limit or charge you for the bag. I purchased luggage tags with this information clearly marked. You can get them at some medical supply shops, or on ebay for about $5. Search for Carry-On Medical Device Bag Tag.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

sburke91

Post by sburke91 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:21 am

I carry my CPAP aboard just about every week, usually in my carry-on roller (using an IntelliPAP for years, and now an AirMini), but in its own bag when on longer trips where I needed additional space for clothing. I've never had an issue with the 3rd carryon. The TSA has never said a thing, and for the few FA's that notice, I just tell them that it's a medical device. One important note--the medical device rules are US only. Most international carriers honor them, but they don't have to.

I would NEVER recommend putting your xPAP in a checked bag--you have no visibility/control over what happens to it through the luggage and inspection stream.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:27 am

sburke91 wrote:...
I would NEVER recommend putting your xPAP in a checked bag--you have no visibility/control over what happens to it through the luggage and inspection stream.
Not to mention it is darn expensive to replace if lost or stolen.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

mrcrayola

Post by mrcrayola » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks, all. Appreciate your insights. I'll go the carry-on route and look into getting tags. @sburke91, I presume the AirMini works with variable voltages, correct? It'd be nice if there was a travel xpap that works off of USB.

Cheers,

mc
Just an average joe on his way from here to there...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:53 am

If I were flying with an Airmini, I would wear a fishing vest,
and have my cpap (and mask) on my person AT ALL TIMES.
Then, no matter what happens, I got my Precious.

sburke91

Post by sburke91 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:04 pm

mrcrayola wrote:Thanks, all. Appreciate your insights. I'll go the carry-on route and look into getting tags. @sburke91, I presume the AirMini works with variable voltages, correct? It'd be nice if there was a travel xpap that works off of USB.

Cheers,

mc
The power brick with the AirMini supports varying AC volatages and frequency rates. The PAP itself looks like it’s 24v, so requires a separate converter to run on 12V.

I don’t think you’ll ever see a CPAP that can run on normal USB—not enough current. USB-C could be feasible though.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:57 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:If I were flying with an Airmini, I would wear a fishing vest,
Unfortunately, it might look ever so slightly like a Syrian party vest . . .

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:11 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:If I were flying with an Airmini, I would wear a fishing vest,
Unfortunately, it might look ever so slightly like a Syrian party vest . . .
If you do buy a vest to use, make sure the buckles work, so you don't have to get out your box cutter, and cut the straps. Jim

Froggy could talk herself out of trouble, with Bullfrog, shes not got a use for 72 Virgins.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:49 pm

TSA people see dozens of these bags daily. They don't look twice, at least in the pre-Chek lane that I use. Do not pack it in checked luggage.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:26 pm

MrsRinPDX wrote:Carry on your machine in a separate bag and mark it as a medical device. According to FAA rules (DOT rule Title 14, CFR part 382) US airlines must not count it towards your carry-on limit or charge you for the bag. I purchased luggage tags with this information clearly marked. You can get them at some medical supply shops, or on ebay for about $5. Search for Carry-On Medical Device Bag Tag.
mrcrayola,
Happy traveling - be safe. As outlined above, the PAP bag doesn't count toward carryon. With reference to the tag, see viewtopic/t158020/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... l#p1207887 for a free one you can print out yourself and use either laminated or as an insert in a luggage tag sleeve that is clear on both sides.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:55 pm

I recently ordered medical id tags on eBay and received them within three or four days. Since my wife and I use the same model machine and have our sleep clinic appointments at the same time, I got a pink tag for hers, and a blue one for mine so it is easy to tell them apart.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:22 pm

Okie bipap wrote:I recently ordered medical id tags on eBay and received them within three or four days. Since my wife and I use the same model machine and have our sleep clinic appointments at the same time, I got a pink tag for hers, and a blue one for mine so it is easy to tell them apart.
Smart color coding! I bought mine on ebay too. I like that they were day-glow, fairly inexpensive and I could personalize the message/information on the back.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:02 pm

A few years back, I was on a flight that was cancelled at the mid-route hub. We had to stay the night, and, our checked luggage was unavailable to us.

A gent on the flight made the irate statement that both his cpap and his HBP meds were in his checked luggage.

The next day, when our delayed flight resumed, I was happy to see our passenger who had checked his essentials. He certainly learned a big lesson about not checking 1. xpap gear, and 2. meds.

As an aside, I learned not to put cell phone charger in checked baggage; and, I learned to only buy cell phones with common charging plug receptacles. (I bought an iphone shortly thereafter.)