Can cpap cause neck problems?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rainmom17

Can cpap cause neck problems?

Post by Rainmom17 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:52 pm

I'm curious about anyone's experience with neck problems possibly from cpap. I have always carried a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders, although haven't needed any physical therapy or anything. Until now. As the months have passed (5 months), my neck has become more achy and my range of motion is reduced. I was mostly a side sleeper before cpap and am even more of one now, trying to avoid rolling onto my back. I use a relatively thin pillow, as a thicker one hurt my neck more and caused more apnea events. I had a head to toe neurological exam last week and she didn't find any problems except she is going to have me get physical therapy to help me with my balance. If that doesn't help, she'll have me get an MRI of my neck. (For some reason I'm having problems with dizziness, poor balance, and unsteadiness on my feet.)
Anyone else have neck problems like this that may be related to cpap? I've wondered if the weight on my face from the mask is causing me to do something that irritates my neck.

Uncle_Bob

Re: Can cpap cause neck problems?

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:22 pm

Rainmom17 wrote: (For some reason I'm having problems with dizziness, poor balance, and unsteadiness on my feet.)
And your post is about your neck? I've had your symptoms and it was all about anxiety, just something to consider.
Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:18 pm

Are you unconsiously (or consciously) keeping your head or neck stiff to keep the mask in place? There are special pillows for side sleepers with cutouts for the mask to fall into... Bed Bath & Beyond sell them (among other places).

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:48 pm

And your post is about your neck? I've had your symptoms and it was all about anxiety, just something to consider
Definitely a possibility! I do battle anxiety, and it seems to show up in different ways. I haven't had this particular long-lasting neck problem before, but I've had plenty of anxiety before. So either it (anxiety) is manifesting in a different way, or it's something else. I am mostly wondering if other cpap users have had increased neck pain while on therapy.
Are you unconsiously (or consciously) keeping your head or neck stiff to keep the mask in place?
Good question. Sleep apnea has definitely taught me that we do a lot while we're sleeping that we have no idea about. I don't think I'm holding it differently on purpose. But could be subconscious. At this point, I mostly don't mind putting on the mask and I sleep most nights without thinking about it at all. But that doesn't rule out the possibility of me doing something weird to accommodate the mask. I will look for a pillow like that.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:00 am

I would definitely look into getting another pillow. I was having similar symptoms (years before BiPAP) and changing my pillow (from thinner to thicker to keep my neck more aligned) helped tremendously. I understand your challenges, so a CPAP pillow may help.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:26 am

Rainmom17 wrote: As the months have passed (5 months), my neck has become more achy and my range of motion is reduced... I had a head to toe neurological exam last week and she didn't find any problems except she is going to have me get physical therapy to help me with my balance... (For some reason I'm having problems with dizziness, poor balance, and unsteadiness on my feet.)
My neck (history of bulging disks) is very affected by headgear and masks, and by my sleeping pillow. Simply can't tolerate a strap around the lower head/upper neck. And any mask that requires me putting my head in any position other than what comes natural is not an option. That's why I stick with the Tap Pap mask - no headgear and it is incredibly stable. Hopefully physical therapy can ward off a worsening problem for you.

As to your other symptoms, are you experiencing actual dizziness like room spinning or are you equating being off balance with being dizzy? Are you on any meds or supplements that could be suspect for balance issues? I have had periods of time with being off balance, unsteady, and having a sense I was falling when I wasn't, but the symptoms resolved after going off the problematic meds. Since you're working with a doctor I presume they've already evaluated you for inner ear or neurological issues.

knothead

Post by knothead » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:41 am

MrsRinPDX wrote:I would definitely look into getting another pillow. I was having similar symptoms (years before BiPAP) and changing my pillow (from thinner to thicker to keep my neck more aligned) helped tremendously. I understand your challenges, so a CPAP pillow may help.
+1

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 am

When I was first starting cpap, I used to tense up my neck and shoulder area, with the mask on - causing a stiff neck in the morning. Eventually, when I got used to it, I did relax and this disappeared. I also got a contour pillow (not a specialty cpap pillow). That really helped a lot, too. Some therapy for your neck may help.
I can't comment on the dizziness/balance issue - did not experience that.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:21 am

For neck problems .............A home made neck physio - take two tennis balls put them in a sock and tie the sock tight. Put them on your pillow and lay down on your back with the apex of your head just slightly hanging over. Lie flat (don't fall asleep) for up to 15 minutes. It gives a little stretch to tight muscles and may relieve some of your discomfort.

For dizzyness ....... google the Epley maneuver or the Semont maneuver. I found the Semont maneuver easier to follow, it has less steps. It works by allowing free floating particles to be relocated.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:39 am

The dizziness...have you been tested for BPPV or Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo??
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20370055

Does your vertigo seem to be directly related to cpap use? Meaning worse when you wake up in the AM and goes away with the day and gone by bedtime and only to return the next morning? If so there may be some Eustachian tube dysfunction going on that is aggravated by the pressure leaking into the inner ear where it shouldn't be going.

As for cpap actually causing neck issues where there were none in the past? I had neck issues long before every needing cpap (old neck injury) and using cpap or positions involved didn't make them particularly any worse but I can see that some sleeping positions that we get into in an effort to accommodate the mask might make pre existing neck issue maybe worse.
Sleeping on a pillow weird can cause neck issues even without cpap being involved. It wouldn't be impossible for anything that messes with our sleeping position to affect the neck...with our without cpap or mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:07 pm

It is my belief that for some people it takes the body/brain time (1) to realize it can safely change positions during sleep with the PAP mask and tubing in place and (2) to figure out how to accomplish that. I chose to make it a point to change sleep positions any time I woke up when I was first starting out, in order to retrain myself that it was OK to do that "during" sleep with the mask on at all times. Hose-management solutions helped me to be able to turn either direction without the hose interfering. I found that if I tended to stay in one position, or just a few positions, all night, then that was hard on my muscles and could result in stiffness. If I use an APAP, then I don't have to worry about what position I sleep in, because the APAP adjusts to my needs in any sleep position.

My comments relate only to my muscles, not anyone else's. And if neck problems go beyond simple muscle issues, special measures (such as a neck brace) may be necessary for safety during sleep for anyone--PAP user or not--in my opinion.

I had months of problems with dizziness and balance when I started out with PAP. Changes in my resting blood pressure and blood pressure in relation to heart rate during exertion (good changes from PAP use, but changes nevertheless) even caused me some vasovagal syncope issues for a bit. In my case, what was happening made perfect sense to me, so I just held course. Others might be wiser to keep a doc more fully in the loop with all such changes in case the symptoms aren't associated with successful PAP use in their case.

PAP can have a myriad good effects on various health factors, especially if the OSA was particularly bad before treatment. But that is no reason for any patient to suggest to another patient that any changes in health symptoms should simply be ignored. Even if the likelihood is that the changes are related to health improvements from PAP, there is always the slight chance it is completely unrelated for the next person and is an important symptom of something else that shouldn't be ignored by others. But that's the rub with all public statements on specific symptoms anywhere, not just this board.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

scottalden

Post by scottalden » Fri May 20, 2022 6:29 pm

My answer to the OP is YES.

I am not a clinician. I am a longtime CPAP user who has struggled with this problem for years and found no solution.

I have tried all of the headgear from ResMed and Respironics, plus a variety of styles from other vultures. None work.

Chin straps force the jaw backward, causing injury.

Boil-and-bite oral appliances cause jaw tension and exacerbate TMJ.

No, it is not an air pressure problem.

No, loosening the straps is not the solution. Loosening the straps results in leaks. Tightening the straps causes excessive pressure on the cervical spine.

No, it is not an anxiety problem, and it is not an allergy problem.

It is a problem of pressure on the cervical spine caused by a strap being tightened around the back of the neck.

I am of the opinion that studies should be conducted to prove (or disprove) that standard straps for full–face cpap masks actually cause neck injury. If it is proven, then CPAP mask manufacturers might be galvanized to provide alternatives for fear of legal action.

I am convinced that the neck pressure caused by standard CPAP mask straps exacerbates existing neck injury.

At least one study by the Rowe Neurology institute finds a significant correlation between neck injury and sleep apnea:
https://www.neurokc.com/headache-articl ... neck-pain/

These results suggest that sufferers of neck injury account for no small number of people in need of sleep apnea therapy.

An old YouTube video by TheLankyLefty27 demonstrated a DIY solution by re-purposing an "anti–leak strap" made by a company called Pad A Cheek. Pad A Cheek states that this is not the intended use for their anti-leak strap. One comment beneath the video describes making a similar modification by cutting a chin strap in half and using it in the same way.

I am not affiliated with any of the above mentioned individuals, organizations or companies in any way.

Here is the YouTube video describing the DIY solution:
https://youtu.be/ed-jLAFfDJg

Here is the link for the anti-leak straps on the Pad A Cheek website:
https://www.padacheek.com/search-results-page/Anti-Leak

I know the OP is old so I ask for forgiveness if my reply is redundant or belongs in a different thread. Like many of us, I do not always operate at full mental capacity due to chronic sleep issues, and I am desperate for solutions.

Here's wishing everyone good fortune in the lifelong struggle for a simple good night's sleep.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri May 20, 2022 6:48 pm

scottalden wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:29 pm

It is a problem of pressure on the cervical spine caused by a strap being tightened around the back of the neck.
may i ask why you are using a mask with straps that tighten around the back of the neck?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri May 20, 2022 7:04 pm

Having been on this forum for 17 years, I have come to the conclusion that there are a number o people who can perform enough "mental gymnastics" to be able to blame this therapy for ANY perceived problems they may THINK they have.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 21, 2022 3:04 pm

Every time I have experienced discomfort in my neck,
range of motion stretches have helped.
I pay attention during my physical therapy.
Most of the time it is my own bad posture while using my tablet or phone.
Never my cpap.