Negative Relative Humidity, foul air and using CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sigridonocturna

Negative Relative Humidity, foul air and using CPAP

Post by Sigridonocturna » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:12 am

Any suggestions for H2 get some sleep in much less than ideal? Weatherfolks out our way starting to chat about humidity, and what happens if we get to negative numbers for humidity. ( yeah, it has happened once before in recent memory) and negative dew point. This has been a frustrating time for me on this hose head journey. Presently rather uncomfortable. If I go out of doors, I risk at min laryngitis or @ max a full blown asthma flare up. Nose stuffed, ears so clogged, I couldn't hear myselfvwheezing!!
I had been attempting to keep data on temps, humidity, setting & water usage, just for my own comfort levels. Not very accurate. Interesting to note. Night's where RH overnight remains at 3 - 5 %, I need to refill the tank at least once. I may even have to drain the tubing a few times.

Tonight I changed the ramp to max, used the warming feature, and of course turned humidity of machine output to max. But I just can't sleep. Oh yeah, I need to add another field to my data matrix...clean air scores the pollution control district is too slow to issue alerts, for conditions changing by the hour. At least I was outside earlier, as winds shifting saw things changing, but I failed to take into consideration how or what would this do to me. ( hence the laryngitis, and because I went out for a second time, the flare up of asthma!)

Just hoping I can catch some zzz's.

LSAT

Re: Negative Relative Humidity, foul air and using CPAP

Post by LSAT » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:37 am

Sigridonocturna wrote:Any suggestions for H2 get some sleep in much less than ideal? Weatherfolks out our way starting to chat about humidity, and what happens if we get to negative numbers for humidity. ( yeah, it has happened once before in recent memory) and negative dew point. This has been a frustrating time for me on this hose head journey. Presently rather uncomfortable. If I go out of doors, I risk at min laryngitis or @ max a full blown asthma flare up. Nose stuffed, ears so clogged, I couldn't hear myselfvwheezing!!
I had been attempting to keep data on temps, humidity, setting & water usage, just for my own comfort levels. Not very accurate. Interesting to note. Night's where RH overnight remains at 3 - 5 %, I need to refill the tank at least once. I may even have to drain the tubing a few times.

Tonight I changed the ramp to max, used the warming feature, and of course turned humidity of machine output to max. But I just can't sleep. Oh yeah, I need to add another field to my data matrix...clean air scores the pollution control district is too slow to issue alerts, for conditions changing by the hour. At least I was outside earlier, as winds shifting saw things changing, but I failed to take into consideration how or what would this do to me. ( hence the laryngitis, and because I went out for a second time, the flare up of asthma!)

Just hoping I can catch some zzz's.
I don't know where "out our way" is, but, why not use a room humidifier along with maxing out your humidifier?

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:06 am

wrote:Weatherfolks out our way
Where do you live?

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:38 pm

Sigridonocturna wrote:Any suggestions for H2 get some sleep in much less than ideal? Weatherfolks out our way starting to chat about humidity, and what happens if we get to negative numbers for humidity. ( yeah, it has happened once before in recent memory) and negative dew point. ...
There is no such thing as "negative humidity" - as a percentage, by definition it can't go below zero. It is sort of possible to go above 100, but that generally is called fog!

It is possible for the Dew Point to go below zero. As I type its 0 degrees Celsius here (near Boston) so I'm pretty sure the dew point is in negative territory. (Checking Wunderground its -10 C. RH is 47%. I looked at Palm Springs, CA; its DP for the coming week is often as low -15C with RH below 10%. Even measured in Fahrenheit DP can get below zero in cold conditions.)

As others have said, a room, or console humidifier can be used to raise the RH about 15 to 20% so that the cpap humidifier can do the rest to the job. I usually start using mine when RH in the bedroom gets down to around 25%.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:29 pm

I need to get a room humidifier.
Our RH commonly gets down to 15, sometimes 12%.
The lowest I've seen is 7%.
At that point, my hair looks like I am holding onto a Van de Graaf generator.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:43 pm

"Tis the Season the Floor starts Creaking!" Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:14 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I need to get a room humidifier.
Our RH commonly gets down to 15, sometimes 12%.
The lowest I've seen is 7%.
At that point, my hair looks like I am holding onto a Van de Graaf generator.
Found a great one at Aldi....2 weeks ago...$20