CMS 50D+ accurate?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
USMCVet

Re: CMS 50D+ accurate?

Post by USMCVet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Since I have gotten my machine last Tuesday I've used it every night all night and for every night except one where I used it for 2 hours and had to stop because of rainout and noticed difference. I have my heated tube with humidifier at Max now without issues. I think I have therapy dialed in so now its a waiting game.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:10 am

I took some more data last night. I also was taking it a few times during work and sitting there and consistently was getting readings in 93ish range while everyone else was getting 98 or 99 so I do think it is accurate.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:17 am

It's known to be a relatively accurate device for home use. Don't compare daytime (awake) results to asleep ones though - they won't be the same, won't tell you anything much to help using Cpap etc. Your numbers look fairly good, almost all normal or close to it.
Last edited by Julie on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 am

A little late chiming in on this and I've never had a 50D+, but...

I had the 50F (wrist model) and because of my situation, I have to have occasional tests through the DME. To see how accurate mine was, I used them both on the same night (mine & the one from the DME) and checked the results. They were pretty consistent. They were consistent enough that my doctor accepted my reports instead of ordering a test from the DME.

cchild2

Post by cchild2 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:12 am

My SpO2 results look similar to yours. 95-97 waking, 90-93 sleeping, by memory.

One night I ate supper after a 4 day fast - I felt very hot like my metabolism was kicking while trying to sleep and my O2 was much lower as well. I'd like to repeat that.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:53 pm

USMCVet wrote:Holding breath knocked it down to 96 from 98. Walking upstairs knocked it down to 90 though and when I put it on after coming up from basement it was 89 with some shortness of breath.
33 y/o former smoker with exposure to asbestos and recently had chest x-ray which was clear.
Thank you for your Marine service from a USAF Retiree. I don't know your medical history. I have Copd and Apnea. I also have a history of former smoking and asbestos exposure. if you're worried about Mesothelioma like i was, it really doesn't have anything to do with actual Copd and isn't inside the lungs. Mesothelioma is a cancer that affects the lining on the outside of the lungs, heart and or abdomen. I'm still worried about it coming along because my dad worked in the production of asbestos ceiling tile, i worked for a short period in the same company. i also worked a few months on a great lakes freighter hauling taconite and who knows what i was exposed to in the military. the family is also at risk with asbestos because they breath it from you, your clothes, vehicle, etc.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:39 pm

greatunclebill wrote:
USMCVet wrote:Holding breath knocked it down to 96 from 98. Walking upstairs knocked it down to 90 though and when I put it on after coming up from basement it was 89 with some shortness of breath.
33 y/o former smoker with exposure to asbestos and recently had chest x-ray which was clear.
Thank you for your Marine service from a USAF Retiree. I don't know your medical history. I have Copd and Apnea. I also have a history of former smoking and asbestos exposure. if you're worried about Mesothelioma like i was, it really doesn't have anything to do with actual Copd and isn't inside the lungs. Mesothelioma is a cancer that affects the lining on the outside of the lungs, heart and or abdomen. I'm still worried about it coming along because my dad worked in the production of asbestos ceiling tile, i worked for a short period in the same company. i also worked a few months on a great lakes freighter hauling taconite and who knows what i was exposed to in the military. the family is also at risk with asbestos because they breath it from you, your clothes, vehicle, etc.
That's the thing that worries me is that I have no diagnosed respiratory issues unless you count sleep apnea.
Thank you for your service!

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:38 pm

USMCVet wrote:
greatunclebill wrote:
That's the thing that worries me is that I have no diagnosed respiratory issues unless you count sleep apnea.
Thank you for your service!
go to a pulmonologist or a better board certified pulmonologist and have the standard workup which includes 6 minute walk, x-ray and the breathing workup where they measure breathing and lung capacity with room air, medicated air and straight 02. Walking upstairs knocked it down to 90 though and when I put it on after coming up from basement it was 89 with some shortness of breath does not sound normal to me.

the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:53 pm

It's weird though because I tried it a few more times and can't reliably get same result. When sitting at work I was taking it and usually was around 93 to 94% and had other try it and they were 99 to 98% .
Beginning of January I go back to sleep center. Was thinking of asking them to give me professional sp02 sensor to hook up to my machine. Not sure if it would be good to wait till appointment or call earlier so they have data for next appointment. Also not sure if I should even ask them or if I should ask VA to provide that equipment for me.

Bottom line my mission is to feel better. After just over a week I have gone from completely exhausted and in a fog to really tired. So things overall are definitely getting better.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 am

I thought the 50f wrist oximeter was pretty accurate, maybe 1 below another one that I had.

My 50f died right after I read this post, so it lasted about 3 years.

Walmart has them for $85 free shipping.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:19 pm

USMCVet wrote:It's weird though because I tried it a few more times and can't reliably get same result. When sitting at work I was taking it and usually was around 93 to 94% and had other try it and they were 99 to 98% .
Beginning of January I go back to sleep center. Was thinking of asking them to give me professional sp02 sensor to hook up to my machine. Not sure if it would be good to wait till appointment or call earlier so they have data for next appointment. Also not sure if I should even ask them or if I should ask VA to provide that equipment for me.

Bottom line my mission is to feel better. After just over a week I have gone from completely exhausted and in a fog to really tired. So things overall are definitely getting better.
you should not get the same o2 result every time. every time you breathe, move or think your pulse, blood pressure and o2 will go up and down. Your o2 rate has nothing to do with the person standing next to you. your meter is fine.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:00 pm

So who is best to mention it too? Sleep doctor, RT, or PCP?

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 pm

USMCVet wrote:So who is best to mention it too? Sleep doctor, RT, or PCP?
what specialty is your sleep doctor? pulmonologist, ent, neurologist, other? you should probably start over with your pcp. tell him everything about your daytime o2 numbers and see if he will send you to a good board certified pulmonologist. write it all down and tell him all of your concerns.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:09 pm

My sleep dr. Is actually a nurse practicioner FNP-C. I called up a VA number tonight and they gave me the same advice to contact PCP so they can kind of orchestrate everything.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:58 am

So i took another reading last night this time for over 5 hours. I plan to call my primary care team tomorrow to see what they think. Still looks like I have hypoxemia during the night even when using APAP.