CPAP therapy for the elderly

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Josiah

CPAP therapy for the elderly

Post by Josiah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Even though I know that age is a risk factor for OSA, the age of most of the forum members doesn't seem to get mentioned very much. I will be turning 83 in a week and I was wondering if elderly OSA sufferers seem to do well on CPAP therapy?
Josiah

Lucyhere

Re: CPAP therapy for the elderly

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 pm

You aren't allowed to use the word, "elderly". Aside from that, people of any age who have apnea do well getting more oxygen. It's all about breathing successfully and we breathe at every age, or we are no longer on the planet. Happy almost b'day by the way!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Time to resurrect one of those blasted infinite, open-loop, recirculating polls?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58295#p548606
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 pm

OH MY! I logged in here to find out about my dad's recent prescription for a home sleep study, to see this thread! How appropriate. I'd like to the know the same thing. My dad is having second thoughts about having the test done. I have encouraged him to do it.

I've been on treatment for about 2 years and have seen a gradual increase in my feelings of well being and better health. It's not all attributed to cpap, as I have improved my A1C, changed diet and lost weight, but, still......sometimes, I feel so good that I scare myself! lol

My dad is 80 and quite active. He still does a lot more physically in a day than many people half his age, does yard work, household chores, repairs, church services, visits friends, etc. He had a quadruple bypass in 1999, 4 stents over the years and is doing great heart wise, we think. His chemical stress test in 2016 was clear. SO, he has suffered from feeling tired for a few months Thyroid med adjusted and doctor doesn't think it's that. Prescribed an AT HOME STUDY, to rule it out, because he has a large neck and doctor thought his airway looked small.

So, daddy is now saying that he's not going to go through with it. That it's a waste of time. I try to pick my battles with my parents. Should this be one? ANY COMMENTS are welcomed.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:49 pm

Last edited by jnk... on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:55 pm

Josiah wrote:Even though I know that age is a risk factor for OSA, the age of most of the forum members doesn't seem to get mentioned very much. I will be turning 83 in a week and I was wondering if elderly OSA sufferers seem to do well on CPAP therapy?
What's the alternative?

Josiah

Post by Josiah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 pm

SunnyBeBe wrote:OH MY! I logged in here to find out about my dad's recent prescription for a home sleep study, to see this thread! How appropriate. I'd like to the know the same thing. My dad is having second thoughts about having the test done. I have encouraged him to do it.

I've been on treatment for about 2 years and have seen a gradual increase in my feelings of well being and better health. It's not all attributed to cpap, as I have improved my A1C, changed diet and lost weight, but, still......sometimes, I feel so good that I scare myself! lol

My dad is 80 and quite active. He still does a lot more physically in a day than many people half his age, does yard work, household chores, repairs, church services, visits friends, etc. He had a quadruple bypass in 1999, 4 stents over the years and is doing great heart wise, we think. His chemical stress test in 2016 was clear. SO, he has suffered from feeling tired for a few months Thyroid med adjusted and doctor doesn't think it's that. Prescribed an AT HOME STUDY, to rule it out, because he has a large neck and doctor thought his airway looked small.

So, daddy is now saying that he's not going to go through with it. That it's a waste of time. I try to pick my battles with my parents. Should this be one? ANY COMMENTS are welcomed.
Tell your dad you know one octogenarian who is gung ho to begin CPAP therapy.
Josiah

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:02 pm

SunnyBeBe wrote:. I try to pick my battles with my parents. Should this be one? ANY COMMENTS are welcomed.
I have parents in their 80s and one thing I am realizing is that I have to let them make their own decisions.

Let him decide what he wants for his life and health. Tell him the pros, but leave it at that.

There has to be dignity with age, and let him have the dignity to make the call.

If he is anything like my dad, it has to be his call.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Arlene1963 wrote:
SunnyBeBe wrote:. I try to pick my battles with my parents. Should this be one? ANY COMMENTS are welcomed.
I have parents in their 80s and one thing I am realizing is that I have to let them make their own decisions.

Let him decide what he wants for his life and health. Tell him the pros, but leave it at that.

There has to be dignity with age, and let him have the dignity to make the call.

If he is anything like my dad, it has to be his call.
Wow. Nicely said.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm 75 and my wife is 72 and we are both on BIPAP.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 pm

At this point in his life you need to start laying the groundwork for getting him to sign a power of attorney while he still can. Instead of picking your battles, start thinking about making him confident in your decisions concerning his affairs.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Josiah

Post by Josiah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:27 pm

SunnyBeBe wrote:OH MY! I logged in here to find out about my dad's recent prescription for a home sleep study, to see this thread! How appropriate. I'd like to the know the same thing. My dad is having second thoughts about having the test done. I have encouraged him to do it.

Remind him that OSA is a serious risk factor for coronary disease, stroke and dementia. I took the at home sleep study and it was really easy. As an octogenarian I'm entirely ready to admit I'm not as sharp as I used to be, and I'm delighted when my son's express concern about how I'm living my life and I welcome their suggestions.
Josiah

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:18 pm

70 is fast approaching (and no, I am not elderly, just well seasoned). I hope I'm still around in my 80s to use my CPAP.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Old?? Not allowed here. Most of us here are 'older'. Get the test. Not harmful and you will find out a lot. If you have sleep apnea, you need to correct it.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:08 pm

AMESS wrote:Old?? Not allowed here. Most of us here are 'older'. Get the test. Not harmful and you will find out a lot. If you have sleep apnea, you need to correct it.
The Pot and the Kettle. Physician heal thyself. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire