Using a cpap when you have a cold..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: Using a cpap when you have a cold..

Post by Goofproof » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:17 am

Midnight Strangler wrote:
greatunclebill wrote:THere are times like this when you just can't use it. Just use common sense and don't worry about it.
Never for me. Never miss a night. CPAP is needed even more when I have a cold. Can't go without it. I had a bad flu with nasal congestion. Used CPAP every night. It was a blessing that reduced the severity and length of the flu.
The only reason not to use XPAP Every Night is you died before you got to your XPAP. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 am

On having cold/major congestion. I have periodic closing of one or both nostrils from congestion whether allergy or cold. This is what has worked for me since becoming a hosehead.
  • Repeating what others have said, gentle nasal rinse. I have the Grossan nasal irrigator but find Ocean spray in the can (not squeeze bottle) really helps. At least an hr before bed so saline can drain out of my sinuses...sounds gross but it works.

Hot steamy tea throughout the day helps. Too, lotta soup. Chicken soup with root veggies helps body deal with the pathogens. I eat coconut for its death-dealing effect on rhinoviruses dissolves outer membrane inducing death. Oh, avoid cold drinks as they facilitate movement of bugs from upper airways to lower (lungs). Sugar paralyses white cells for up to 12 hrs, so no sweets. If coughing a lot, try hot cocoa as Swedish studies show it to be more effective than most couch meds.

If using nasal pillows, get a hybrid mask for these times, that way you can breathe via nose or mouth without losing therapy air.

Humidity. I go up to setting 4.5 or 5, going less doesn't work for me YRMV.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

jjc155

Post by jjc155 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:31 am

Had a cold two weeks ago, used my CPAP as I normally would and think that it actually helped. Definitely got much better sleep than I would have with out it which I think probably equated to a faster recovery. Plus the added humidity def didn't hurt.

J-

klv329

Post by klv329 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Alternating nostrils with Afrin, and saline nasal rinse.

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 pm

The CPAP seems to keep my airway more open when I have a cold. I also use a BreathRite strip. That seems to help, too.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:24 pm

The more congested I am, the more relief I get from the cpap. The warm, moist air coming out of my nasal pillows lets me breathe much better with the cpap than without. I use cpap every single time I sleep - without exception.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Jbouc wrote:Hi... I have a cold and my nose is a tad plugged up.. I could not use the cpap last night.. any ideas ? I’m new using a cpap.
This is the only reason why I have a full mask. While I've not had problems using my nasal pillows with ordinary congestion, a full-on cold was a different story. I have 3 different full masks (included with the zero hour machine I bought from Craigslist) and they all suck for sleeping on your side, so be prepared to just sleep on your back.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)