Dry throat and nose. What should i adjust?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
axxell6307

Dry throat and nose. What should i adjust?

Post by axxell6307 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:08 am

Dreamstation auto cpap with airfitn20.
Humidifier was set to adaptive and number zero.
Heat set to zero.

If on adaptive humidity, does the humidity setting number make a difference?

I'm thinking of putting it on fixed and number 3. What you think?

NightWatch23

Re: Dry throat and nose. What should i adjust?

Post by NightWatch23 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:32 am

I've never tried the adaptive. My RT recommended using fixed. Depending on the relative humidity at my location, I've found either 1 or 0 to be the best setting. Sometimes I've wished there was a 0.5 option. I think trying 3 seems reasonable if you're dry. If you get rainout, you can turn it down.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm not sure what the dreamstation settings mean, but I set mine to 8 out of 8, it's just dry as heck where I live, and the automated humidity doesn't seem to recognize that. To me at least the automated humidity setting is completely useless. With the humidity here, occaisionally even the highest setting isn't enough. I've actually considered doing something to reduce the surface tension of the water to increase the humidity even more. If you get it too high just turn it down. You sleep every night, so plenty of chances to test... having it too high isn't going to hurt. Also having a higher setting can mean setting the heated hose higher to prevent rain out, especially if you keep your house cool at night.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:37 pm

nicholasjh1 wrote:I'm not sure what the dreamstation settings mean, but I set mine to 8 out of 8, it's just dry as heck where I live, and the automated humidity doesn't seem to recognize that. To me at least the automated humidity setting is completely useless. With the humidity here, occaisionally even the highest setting isn't enough. I've actually considered doing something to reduce the surface tension of the water to increase the humidity even more. If you get it too high just turn it down. You sleep every night, so plenty of chances to test... having it too high isn't going to hurt. Also having a higher setting can mean setting the heated hose higher to prevent rain out, especially if you keep your house cool at night.

You might want to consider adding an additional in line humidifier

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... ifier.html

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
nicholasjh1 wrote:I'm not sure what the dreamstation settings mean, but I set mine to 8 out of 8, it's just dry as heck where I live, and the automated humidity doesn't seem to recognize that. To me at least the automated humidity setting is completely useless. With the humidity here, occaisionally even the highest setting isn't enough. I've actually considered doing something to reduce the surface tension of the water to increase the humidity even more. If you get it too high just turn it down. You sleep every night, so plenty of chances to test... having it too high isn't going to hurt. Also having a higher setting can mean setting the heated hose higher to prevent rain out, especially if you keep your house cool at night.

Interesting. Arizona is pretty dry too! do you have the double set up? How has that been?
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:19 pm

nicholasjh1 wrote:
Uncle_Bob wrote:

Interesting. Arizona is pretty dry too! do you have the double set up? How has that been?
I do not use a double setup I just use the HC150 instead of my machines humidifier when I go up 7000ft in altitude during the winter.