Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
Mark55
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: Central Florida
Gender: Male

FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Mark55 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:58 pm

I have been fighting to avoid going to a FFM, but I have reached the point where I think I need to try one again at the minimum. I love my Brevida as far as comfort, and it doesn't leak on me either, but the mouth leaks are ruining my sleep. I might go two or three days with everything near perfect, and boom,......mouth leaks that set my throat on fire.

I've tried a chinstrap, and it helps, but eventually my lips part and start leaking air. I added the hair 'thingy' that some of you folks use, and it cuts the leakage down a reasonable amount, but I can't stand having all that stuff on my face and wrapped around my head and neck.

I know this question has been asked many times, and I realize what works great for one,....can be a huge failure for another. I need a FFM that does NOT have the forehead support placement. The only other things I can add is I have already tried a hybrid (Amara View) and no go, and that my face is more narrow and long than it is round and full.

I'm looking at the AirFit F10 and F20 mainly, but would gladly take any suggestions to heart.

User avatar
Okie bipap
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:14 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma
Gender: Male

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Okie bipap on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:08 pm

I have tried both masks. For me, the F20 works better than the F10 because I have a very narrow nose bridge. If your pressure is not too high, the Air Touch F20 is very comfortable. The memory foam seal of the Air Touch cannot be washed, but can be wiped off daily with either a CPAP wipe or an alcohol free baby wipe. Baby wipes are much cheaper in the long run.

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ F20 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: IPAP 12-22, ps 4, Sleepyhead software

User avatar
Wulfman...
 
Posts: 5702
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 pm
Location: Nearest fishing spot
Gender: Male

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Wulfman... on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Mark55 wrote:I have been fighting to avoid going to a FFM, but I have reached the point where I think I need to try one again at the minimum. I love my Brevida as far as comfort, and it doesn't leak on me either, but the mouth leaks are ruining my sleep. I might go two or three days with everything near perfect, and boom,......mouth leaks that set my throat on fire.

I've tried a chinstrap, and it helps, but eventually my lips part and start leaking air. I added the hair 'thingy' that some of you folks use, and it cuts the leakage down a reasonable amount, but I can't stand having all that stuff on my face and wrapped around my head and neck.

I know this question has been asked many times, and I realize what works great for one,....can be a huge failure for another. I need a FFM that does NOT have the forehead support placement. The only other things I can add is I have already tried a hybrid (Amara View) and no go, and that my face is more narrow and long than it is round and full.

I'm looking at the AirFit F10 and F20 mainly, but would gladly take any suggestions to heart.


Why do you not want the forehead support?

For me, the forehead support helps keep the pressure on the top area of the cushion. I adjust it all the way forward (away from my forehead) and then the forehead support rarely touches my forehead. It's then easier to keep the tension in that area with upper headgear adjustments. Having it back any farther pulls the top of the cushion away from the top of my nose bridge and makes it prone to leaking in that area.
I tried a mask once that had no forehead support and I couldn't even make it through a nap. Horrible.


Den

.
(4) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 13 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

User avatar
Mark55
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: Central Florida
Gender: Male

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Mark55 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Why do you not want the forehead support?

For me, the forehead support helps keep the pressure on the top area of the cushion. I adjust it all the way forward (away from my forehead) and then the forehead support rarely touches my forehead. It's then easier to keep the tension in that area with upper headgear adjustments. Having it back any farther pulls the top of the cushion away from the top of my nose bridge and makes it prone to leaking in that area.
I tried a mask once that had no forehead support and I couldn't even make it through a nap. Horrible.


Den

.

I was titrated with a Mirage Quattro and my nose hurt for two or three days just from having it on four hours. I also had a blood red patch on my forehead and the bridge of my nose.

User avatar
chunkyfrog
 
Posts: 23400
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Husker country--Frost alert!
Gender: Female

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby chunkyfrog on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:44 pm

The forehead support presses on an area that is super sensitive in some people.
It can even trigger migraine or sinus pain.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Backup: Devillbiss Intellipap Autoadjust
I once was lost in apnea; but now I'm found--breathing easily all night long.

User avatar
Pugsy
 
Posts: 41546
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA
Gender: Female

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Pugsy on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Look at the ResMed AirTouch F20.
I got a chance to get my hands on one a couple of months ago just to see it and feel it and while I didn't get a chance to actually use it (wrong size for me) I thought it a very interesting full face mask and if I ever get my hands on a small size I would be willing to try it.
One of my main issues with full face masks is the pressure that they will put on my nasal bridge area and I was thinking that the foam cushion might be less annoying to me then regular silicone would be.

I don't want to try one bad enough to spend my own money on it though.... :lol: :lol: since I have yet to actually really need one in over 8 years of therapy and I have had the Amara View handy for the last 2 years in case I did.

My DME actually uses the AirTouch F20. Says he loves it and we discussed the 30 day replacement thing. He says that the cushions will last longer than 30 days with gentle care. The foam will start to break down if it gets wet which is why normal washing won't work.
He gets about 90 days before the foam starts getting hard and wanting to break down.
I am not sure but adding a Padacheek mask liner might even prolong the life further because it would help keep facial oils off the foam.
I mention this because I know for right now you are self pay and replacement part costs are a factor.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Backups..AirCurve 10 ST, S9 Adapt, PR S1 Bipap #760

User avatar
Wulfman...
 
Posts: 5702
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 pm
Location: Nearest fishing spot
Gender: Male

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Wulfman... on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Mark55 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
Why do you not want the forehead support?

For me, the forehead support helps keep the pressure on the top area of the cushion. I adjust it all the way forward (away from my forehead) and then the forehead support rarely touches my forehead. It's then easier to keep the tension in that area with upper headgear adjustments. Having it back any farther pulls the top of the cushion away from the top of my nose bridge and makes it prone to leaking in that area.
I tried a mask once that had no forehead support and I couldn't even make it through a nap. Horrible.


Den

.

I was titrated with a Mirage Quattro and my nose hurt for two or three days just from having it on four hours. I also had a blood red patch on my forehead and the bridge of my nose.


Sounds like they had it WAAAAAAY too tight. I have a Quattro and like my UMFF, wore it fairly loose and had the forehead adjusted the same way.......all the way forward.

I was titrated with a Respironics Comfortfull 2. But about a year later, I identified which mask it was and purchased one to try. Three nights was all I could tolerate it before going back to my UMFF.


Den

.
(4) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 13 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

User avatar
Goofproof
 
Posts: 13309
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:16 pm
Location: Central Indiana, USA
Gender: Male

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Goofproof on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:23 pm

I use the ComfortFull Gel, as my goto FF mask. I tried Wolfmans, UMFF it could work, but I like the ComfortFull Gel. I second the idea you need the "T" bar, but don't keep it so tight your head cracks. Jim

I like the FF mask because it seems cooler.

_________________
Mask: ComfortGel Original Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: APAP @15 CM & CMS 50E PULSE OX O2 3L
Maturity is the ability to stick with a job until it's finished; the ability to do a job without being supervised; the ability to carry money without spending it; and the ability to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

User avatar
Mark55
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: Central Florida
Gender: Male

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Mark55 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:Look at the ResMed AirTouch F20.
I got a chance to get my hands on one a couple of months ago just to see it and feel it and while I didn't get a chance to actually use it (wrong size for me) I thought it a very interesting full face mask and if I ever get my hands on a small size I would be willing to try it.
One of my main issues with full face masks is the pressure that they will put on my nasal bridge area and I was thinking that the foam cushion might be less annoying to me then regular silicone would be.

I don't want to try one bad enough to spend my own money on it though.... :lol: :lol: since I have yet to actually really need one in over 8 years of therapy and I have had the Amara View handy for the last 2 years in case I did.

My DME actually uses the AirTouch F20. Says he loves it and we discussed the 30 day replacement thing. He says that the cushions will last longer than 30 days with gentle care. The foam will start to break down if it gets wet which is why normal washing won't work.
He gets about 90 days before the foam starts getting hard and wanting to break down.
I am not sure but adding a Padacheek mask liner might even prolong the life further because it would help keep facial oils off the foam.
I mention this because I know for right now you are self pay and replacement part costs are a factor.

I'm glad to read about the 90 days on the foam, as that recommended 30 day replacement schedule was ruling this one out for me.

I guess I should add that I have a goatee (if that makes a difference with a FFM), although I keep it trimmed close and neat.

User avatar
AMESS
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:58 am
Location: North Carolina
Gender: Female

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby AMESS on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:46 am

Yikes air fit 20 nasal. Killing my nose. Keep adjusting it but cannot get it right. Hurts.l Headgear good--but if you have a lot of hair, redoing it every day is a real pain. Looking for a similar mask with decent headgear, one that does not totally mutilate your hair. Add to it a chin strap and wala you end up looking like Cousin It.

luvsbluberries
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:46 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby luvsbluberries on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:39 am

Just so that you know, not all FFM's with a forehead piece even touch the forehead.

The F&P SimPlus is tightened on the bottom; the top strap is only adjusted enough to position the bar - NOT hold it against your skin (mine is a good inch or so away from my head). I don't even feel any pressure against the bridge of my nose from the cushion.

User avatar
Mark55
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: Central Florida
Gender: Male

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Mark55 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:01 pm

luvsbluberries wrote:Just so that you know, not all FFM's with a forehead piece even touch the forehead.

The F&P SimPlus is tightened on the bottom; the top strap is only adjusted enough to position the bar - NOT hold it against your skin (mine is a good inch or so away from my head). I don't even feel any pressure against the bridge of my nose from the cushion.

Thank you for this bit of info. I had looked at this mask before, but ruled it out due to the forehead bar. It's on sale cheap right now on the mother site.

luvsbluberries
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:46 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby luvsbluberries on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Good luck! I hope you like it as much as I do.

Did you see the fitting guide? It is important to measure from the spot where the bridge of your nose bends, to the bend between your lower lip and chin. My DME 'fitted me' with a Small... which went from mid-nose to the bend between lip and chin. :roll: Needless to say that did not work out well. Although I've found that the Small headgear + Medium cushion are the perfect combo for me. :lol: sigh. Like the princess and the pea.

User avatar
Hannibal 2
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:46 am
Location: London UK
Gender: Male

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Hannibal 2 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:06 am

Mark55 wrote:The only other things I can add is I have already tried a hybrid (Amara View) and no go


How long did you try the Amara View for and what were your issues? Also, what is your pressure set at?
Many here have found this to be an excellent mask, but a it does require some perseverance and critical adjustment to get it right.
It's arguably not great at high pressure, but for me, it is by far the best mask I have used even though I had some initial issues with it, just making sure you didn't give up on it at the first hurdle.
Also, it's very important to get the cushion size correct, this is measured differently to other FFMs.
Good Luck and hope you're sleeping better soon.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Air 10 ClimateLineAir, Buckwheat Pillow, SleepyHead Software,
"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine!
Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

User avatar
Sheriff Buford
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:01 am
Location: Kingwood, Texas
Gender: Male

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Postby Sheriff Buford on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:38 am

Dang... now you guys got me looking at the air touch F20.... last thing I need to do is buy another mask. Still... it looks interesting...

Sheriff

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: FitLife Total Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: I use both the Resmed F10 and Fitlife Total Mask. No humidifier.

Next

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: edfreeman and 37 guests