Synthetic cannabinoid reduces sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TASmart

Synthetic cannabinoid reduces sleep apnea

Post by TASmart » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:22 pm

Noticed the news feed that a synthetic cannabinoid has some potential in treating sleep apnea. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 230117.htm

I looked at the referenced journal article and seems like the best results were about a 50% reduction in AHI. Personally, I see this a threat to effective treatment of SA, because partial treatment by a drug is likely to be cheaper than treatment via xPAP. and knowing the heavy reliance of the US medical community on pharmacological treatment, I fear that a pill based treatment will be the preferred method, to the detriment of those who achieve better treatment with a xPAP.

Thoughts?
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Goofproof

Re: Synthetic cannabinoid reduces sleep apnea

Post by Goofproof » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 pm

TASmart wrote:Noticed the news feed that a synthetic cannabinoid has some potential in treating sleep apnea. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 230117.htm

I looked at the referenced journal article and seems like the best results were about a 50% reduction in AHI. Personally, I see this a threat to effective treatment of SA, because partial treatment by a drug is likely to be cheaper than treatment via xPAP. and knowing the heavy reliance of the US medical community on pharmacological treatment, I fear that a pill based treatment will be the preferred method, to the detriment of those who achieve better treatment with a xPAP.

Thoughts?
What have they been smoking? Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:30 pm

My thoughts? Where can I get some?

Not so much from the sleep apnea treatment side of things though but more for "will this help me sleep better" side of things because I have been battling insomnia (sleep maintenance) recently and it's a battle that is kicking my ass.
I am ready to try anything and everything in hopes of just winning a battle every now and then in my own insomnia war.

I do see your point and concerns though and they are very valid concerns.
I haven't had time to read the literature though so I don't even know what was said. Just my own personal opinion based on too many nights with crappy sleep (not enough hours of sleep...wake up way too early and can't go back to sleep) and I know it isn't related to OSA therapy. Something else is going on. Just can't put my finger on what.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:33 pm

My thoughts is that it allows you to sleep deeply enough to sleep on your side soley (not move), and that's it... full stop - I get the same effect from alcohol if I drink enough... my AHI will take a dive. and Medical MJ would be just as good. Completely pointless money grab by big pharma. It makes me ill to think about. My suggestion is get high CBD oil from hemp if you are interested.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:35 pm

I have to admit that I hope a viable alternative will one day be found to XPAP.

That said, I really don't like the sound of dronabinol.

Last time this was discussed here I did a bit of reading up on it, and the side effects don't sound very appealing.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/dronabinol-side-effects.html

What I find interesting is this snippet from the article:

The drug treatment was a new approach in that it targeted the brain rather than the physical problem of collapsing airways. This reflects the new belief that sleep apnea is not just a physical problem but may be caused by multiple factors. One of those is poor regulation of the upper airway muscles by the brain, said co-lead author Dr. Phyllis Zee.

And this:

"The drug targets the brain and nerves that regulate the upper airway muscles. It alters the neurotransmitters from the brain that communicate with the muscles. Better understanding of this will help us develop more effective and personalized treatments for sleep apnea."
Last edited by Arlene1963 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:40 pm

If this turns out to be a viable and safe alternative, I'd go for it in a NY minute.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:46 pm

I would be very hesitant about trying anything synthetic when the natural stuff probably works just as well if not better. If the Feds would just pull their heads out and legalize all natural substances, we would all have a lot more choices, and in many cases safer choices.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:50 pm

If they could only come up with a pill to force the brain to allow you to adapt to XPAP... But I'm sure the CAN'Ts would find it hard to swallow, pun intended, Too Big, Wrong Flavor, Don't like the Shape or Color! Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Goofproof wrote:If they could only come up with a pill to force the brain to allow you to adapt to XPAP... But I'm sure the CAN'Ts would find it hard to swallow, pun intended, Too Big, Wrong Flavor, Don't like the Shape or Color! Jim
The xPAP I adapted to quite easily. The fact I have been given no settings or machine that works for me has nothing to do with a CAN'T.

The fact that they don't make a FFM that will work for me is also not a CAN'T - it's a THEY DON'T.

My mouth blowing open has not been solved yet, but is a work in progress - or was a work in progress. I'm not using the machine currently because I am waiting for the "experts" to tell me what settings work for me.

Sheesh, give it up already...
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:57 am

MaxINTJ wrote:
Goofproof wrote:If they could only come up with a pill to force the brain to allow you to adapt to XPAP... But I'm sure the CAN'Ts would find it hard to swallow, pun intended, Too Big, Wrong Flavor, Don't like the Shape or Color! Jim
The xPAP I adapted to quite easily. The fact I have been given no settings or machine that works for me has nothing to do with a CAN'T.

The fact that they don't make a FFM that will work for me is also not a CAN'T - it's a THEY DON'T.

My mouth blowing open has not been solved yet, but is a work in progress - or was a work in progress. I'm not using the machine currently because I am waiting for the "experts" to tell me what settings work for me.

I never give up, I don't support "CAN'T". I take it you don't put you tongue to the roof of your mouth and suck a vacuum on your mouth, doing this over and over whenever you can. Training your brain not to mouth breath or blowfish. This method has worked for many here, but it does require effort... Most thing do. Jim

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:00 am

Goofproof wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:

I never give up, I don't support "CAN'T". I take it you don't put you tongue to the roof of your mouth and suck a vacuum on your mouth, doing this over and over whenever you can. Training your brain not to mouth breath or blowfish. This method has worked for many here, but it does require effort... Most thing do. Jim
So Jim, instead of saying I can't drive due to my sleep issues, I should keep trying? I am not asking the question by the way to be a smart a--- but to make a point.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:47 am

49er wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:

So Jim, instead of saying I can't drive due to my sleep issues, I should keep trying? I am not asking the question by the way to be a smart a--- but to make a point.

Your point is way off target, nothing to do with being smart anything, and nowhere even close to what Jim was referring to.

If you can't drive due to your sleep issues ... don't give up trying to resolve your sleep issues is the point he was making!
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:06 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
49er wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:

Your point is way off target, nothing to do with being smart anything, and nowhere even close to what Jim was referring to.

If you can't drive due to your sleep issues ... don't give up trying to resolve your sleep issues is the point he was making!
DS,

With all due respect, I should have given up on Pap therapy when I had the chance to have MMA surgery. It was not working in spite of my trying everything I could think of to succeed. Contrary to popular belief on this board, pap therapy is not for everyone no matter how hard they try.

Unfortunately, because I wasn't getting good quality sleep, I feel my immune system tanked and led to my getting lymphoma. I am not telling you this because I want your or anyone to feel sorry for me. I am just stating facts as I see them. Obviously, I don't have scientific proof of my claim although interestingly, someone on my lymphoma FB group had a similar situation. So we are N of 2.

Anyway, I started taking Temazepam full time in a desperate attempt to sleep on the machine which I deeply regret and am currently slowly tapering off of. I continue to use my machine because obviously not using it would be worse.

Actually, my point is not off target because one can spend their whole life trying to succeed at something to no avail. And as I have asked before on this board for which no has an answer, how long should someone try to succeed with pap therapy - 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 30?

49er

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:13 pm

49er wrote:

So Jim, instead of saying I can't drive due to my sleep issues, I should keep trying? I am not asking the question by the way to be a smart a--- but to make a point.[/quote]

I don't know how bad your sleep apnea effects your driving, do doubt it was affecting mine, only before I found out about sleep apnea, 10 years before.

People have been sleep driving and drunk and drug impaired driving, every since they invented the wheel. I was lucky, never wrecked or even had a close call. Only 12 years ago, did I learn of sleep apnea, long enough that I had it. When I did, Job One was to stop it from killing me and or others. No other option, find a problem, find a solution! The solution is XPAP, no need to whine, just do whatever you need to treat it. Without XPAP, I don't make it thru another heart attack. I ignored the first one at work, the second one was painless, but it was a killer, it left me with no options, but is also saved my life.

The Operation found my airway was closing off. After the hospital, I took the lab Sleep test, two weeks later I started CPAP, since I had no other option, I made it work. Mask moved around, F&P 431, farted Air half the night, readjusted it, lived with it, in 6 months when time to get new mask, got Comfort FF, less leaks, but hotter, moved around, but better. Got Encore Pro, tweaked my pressure. Sure I had problems like everyone, I delt with them and kicked CAN"Ts Butt. Nothing is perfect, it's up to you to make everything work, you can ask others to help, but in the end it's you that must make it work, either be following the advice of others, or finding your own path, there are many paths, some get lost, the secret is to keep moving forward.

I choose to make things work, maybe that's why I chose mechanics. (No I always wanted to find out how things worked, but I became a mechanic wnen I found out I couldn't keep paying others to keep my old cars running) And I liked driving too much, something had to give, I taught myself everything.
Jim

I was lucky I had good teachers, some had even earned a living making things.
not just book learning. One man I was fortunate to know and work beside, was the Best and Smartest man I ever knew, I watched him and picked his brain, he had a 8th grade education. My goal is to be as Honest and Good as he was. R.I.P. Durham Mason, You are Missed.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:36 pm

49er wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:
49er wrote:
Goofproof wrote:I never give up, I don't support "CAN'T". I take it you don't put you tongue to the roof of your mouth and suck a vacuum on your mouth, doing this over and over whenever you can. Training your brain not to mouth breath or blowfish. This method has worked for many here, but it does require effort... Most thing do. Jim

DS,

With all due respect, I should have given up on Pap therapy when I had the chance to have MMA surgery. It was not working in spite of my trying everything I could think of to succeed. Contrary to popular belief on this board, pap therapy is not for everyone no matter how hard they try.

Unfortunately, because I wasn't getting good quality sleep, I feel my immune system tanked and led to my getting lymphoma. I am not telling you this because I want your or anyone to feel sorry for me. I am just stating facts as I see them. Obviously, I don't have scientific proof of my claim although interestingly, someone on my lymphoma FB group had a similar situation. So we are N of 2.

Anyway, I started taking Temazepam full time in a desperate attempt to sleep on the machine which I deeply regret and am currently slowly tapering off of. I continue to use my machine because obviously not using it would be worse.

Actually, my point is not off target because one can spend their whole life trying to succeed at something to no avail. And as I have asked before on this board for which no has an answer, how long should someone try to succeed with pap therapy - 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 30?

49er
That's absurd! You can't treat lymphoma with CPAP. CPAP is for treating Sleep Apnea by using continuous (or auto-adjusting) positive air pressure to keep your airway open. Do you even have sleep apnea?

Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system and as with the majority of cancers, it's underlying cause is a gluco-toxic mitochondrial disorder. Research Otto Warburg, the science has been around for over 90 years. This is just the first link I got on a quick Google search but there are many more ...

A mitochondrial power play in lymphoma

You have to use the appropriate treatment for the specific health issue ... and drugs and surgery should be the very last options.

Temazepam: used to treat insomnia (trouble sleeping).
Side effects: Can cause paranoid or suicidal ideation and impair memory, judgment, and coordination. Combining with other substances, particularly alcohol, can slow breathing and possibly lead to death.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.