Poll: What Mask type do you use?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What type of mask do you use?

Nasal Pillows?
42%
Nasal Mask?
20%
Full Face Mask?
34%
Other if I'm missing something?
5%

Total votes: 106

Arlene1963

Re: Poll: What Mask type do you use?

Post by Arlene1963 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:17 am

I bought a Dreamwear mask and it has arrived. I've just tried it on and done the mask fit on the machine ..... hmmm ..... I really like the way it feels, very different and I can see how this could work very nicely indeed.

Thanks Grace and Max for your comments about the Dreamwear, that's what made interested in trying it out.

LOL I can't believe I am actually excited about a new mask! Crazy.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:42 am

Arlene1963 wrote:I bought a Dreamwear mask and it has arrived. I've just tried it on and done the mask fit on the machine ..... hmmm ..... I really like the way it feels, very different and I can see how this could work very nicely indeed.

Thanks Grace and Max for your comments about the Dreamwear, that's what made interested in trying it out.

LOL I can't believe I am actually excited about a new mask! Crazy.
Hi Arlene1963 ~~~

I can't wait to hear about your experiences. I think I recall that you've got good numbers and that you are feeling good results from your therapy which is AWESOME! So this might just be only about comfort. (Nothing wrong with that in *my* book)

I'm really interested in HOW it feels different to you since I really haven't had much other mask experience.

Like MaxINTJ I like the feeling of freedom and the hose being at the top of my head. I was one of those little girls who always practiced my posture and walking with things balanced on my head ~~~in 6 inch heels. I only wear my ponytails high because it feels good "straight up". IDK, I guess I just like that "invisible string" they used to teach us about that runs through the body and out the top of your head and keeps us aligned.

In my short lived first mask experience, I immediately had a sensation that the hose in front was "pulling" and may cause neck pain. (though that was probably unwarranted).

I hope you enjoy that total freedom by doing some "hand dancing" moves tonight before sleep ... or old cheerleading clap routines ...LOL! Think some of the "Pulp Fiction" moves

Wishing you a luxuriously comfortable sleep tonight, Arlene! I'm guessing the biggest difference will be if you can make friends with the vent? Personally I feel reassured by that little airstream? But have read that many just resent it. There's always a learning curve with all masks of course but I really do wish you WONDERFUL SLEEP!
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Grace~~~ wrote: Hi LSAT. I did puzzle over this for a while and decided to just go with the specific truth that "Pillow Mask" <the word(s)> definitely wasn't a choice and both DreamStalker and SewTired used the phrase. It does seem to describe the Dreamwear better?

The *NASAL* pillows seem more like things you put in your nostrils *to me*. Or sounds that way.

The nasal MASK sounds like something hard with a tube attached that covers your nose.

...but a pillow mask does seem more like the dreamwear cushion?
I got my Dreamwear mask yesterday. For comfort, it is more like a pillow mask.
However, breathing through it definitely feels like breathing through a true nasal mask, not through pillows.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:34 pm

The Dreamwear headgear comes with 2 different cushions. The original was nasal cushion. Then they came out with gel pillows. So, depending on what cushion you get, the Dreamwear is either a gel pillow or nasal mask. I tried it with the original nasal mask, and it dislodged when I side slept. With the gel pillow cushion, it seems to stay in place better.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:24 pm

Cardsfan wrote:The Dreamwear headgear comes with 2 different cushions. The original was nasal cushion. Then they came out with gel pillows. So, depending on what cushion you get, the Dreamwear is either a gel pillow or nasal mask. I tried it with the original nasal mask, and it dislodged when I side slept. With the gel pillow cushion, it seems to stay in place better.
Hi Cardsfan~~~

I've never tried anything nasal that just sits on or near your nostril. Nor have I tried any full face mask. I was told there were only three types and I chose 'over the nose'. I have almost forgotten it now. I hope I never have to do that again, but I do worse all the time, so I suppose I could? If I ever feel I have enough money to try something wild and crazy (Does Matt Lauer have a mask chest in his office?) I would like to try a full face mask. For fantasy I would like to try that 'total face' one like The Sheriff wears, and for the "princess and the pea - I must be comfortable" ~~~ I think I'd like that cloth type? Circadiance?

Does the dreamwear vent the same with the pillows?

I know exactly what you mean about the cushion dislodging. It doesn't happen to me often as my fingers and my "breath of life vent" take care of that without my brain. (or my eyes) ... It's pretty cool to have that tactile sensation available as a guide. I'm totally serious when I say that I really like that little vent.
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:27 am

Grace~~~ wrote: Hi Arlene1963 ~~~

I can't wait to hear about your experiences. I think I recall that you've got good numbers and that you are feeling good results from your therapy which is AWESOME! So this might just be only about comfort. (Nothing wrong with that in *my* book)

I'm really interested in HOW it feels different to you since I really haven't had much other mask experience.

I really do wish you WONDERFUL SLEEP!
Grace, I am happy to report a wonderful night's sleep with my new mask.

I've tried a lot of different masks ... I like experimenting with different ones to see which feel the most natural and comfortable. Most important is how well I sleep with it on, and the leak rate. Last night's 95% leak rate was 2.4 which I consider to be excellent. So the Dreamwear passed with flying colours.

So what is different and what I really like is the unobtrusive design, most especially the cushion design (and not having nasal pillows). I was ready for a significant change and so decided on the original design not the variation with the gel pillows. It fits me well and did not dislodge when I slept last night. I'm using CPAP @9CM though so my pressure is not high, this might be an advantage.

I like the way the Dreamwear feels on my face, from the way it vents (I can feel the airstream when I hold my hand in front of it, and this is pleasant and reassuring) ... to the way it seems to contour to my face. The touch of silicone is light and feels cool (I prefer not to use the fabric mask liners that came with the mask)

I also way prefer the design with the hose mounted on the top and not from the front. I didn't realize just how much the hose interfered with movement until last night when it was all behind me. Even my Siamese cat came and snuggled in next to me, the first time since I started CPAP, so he likes this mask too!

Also, there were no bags under my eyes when I woke up this morning and no mask marks on my face. YAY. I look gorgeous!

So unless something changes, like it starts leaking really badly, this is going to be my new mask and will replace the P10.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Gorgeous Arlene1963 ~~~

It's amazing how happy I feel that an internet stranger slept well with a cpap mask ... but I do!

I feel really happy for your success and I hope it continues and that you continually improve and feel better and better.
Thank you so much for sharing.

As you mentioned, I also like the feel of the silicone and do not wear the included liner/ pads. They felt hot to me when I tried them. I am in sticky hot Florida and there is no way I could do this mask thing without keeping my bedroom like an icebox. I run a second window unit in addition of the central air just to really make sure there is no humidity. I'm assuming that's not an issue in Canada! LOL

(I've never even seen snow ... but I am really going to try to make a "snow trip" this winter. All of a sudden it seems important to me?)

I am happy the original cushion mask is not leaking. I have to think your nostrils are enjoying the freedom too. I've gotten really lax now about taking the dreamwear off and on. I pull it off and on like a catchers mitt. I do skip washing the entire frame for a night or two occasionally, but it's so easy to keep that nose cushion clean and oil free and minty. (I adore a drop or two of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap) Though when I wash / soak the entire mask I always feel really good about it. I like clean bedrooms and bedding and generally being able to sleep clean makes me very happy. (Though I will definitely get dirty if getting dirty is where the fun is at ) ... getting dirty only makes you appreciate scrubbing everything clean.

I found your comment about the hose really interesting. And you are not a particularly long time user? I wondered how people who have bonded / slept with their nose hoses for years would feel when that hose was just GONE? Would they miss it like a security blanket? I bet they would still reach out for the hose in their sleep? I know I still occasionally reach for the gear shift when driving and I finally gave up and bought an automatic more than five years ago. The human brain is such an amazing thing!

Thanks so much for the smile today Arlene1963 ~~~
Silly I'm sure, but positive news and success really means a lot to me lately.
In the face of adversity and obstacles, *I* say ...

"DEFY"!
~~~grace

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Because of this thread I'm going to try the dream wear nasal gel pillows.

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:53 pm

And I ordered the Resmed pillow mask from Cpap.com because of this poll and it will arrive the day after Christmas. I was/am using the ResMed N20 but have been having lousy leak rates lately so I am ready to try something new. I do hope I did not make a mistake by not buying the "for her" version. So for all you naysayers polls can have some benefit.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:40 pm

lathnos46 wrote:And I ordered the Resmed pillow mask from Cpap.com because of this poll and it will arrive the day after Christmas. I was/am using the ResMed N20 but have been having lousy leak rates lately so I am ready to try something new. I do hope I did not make a mistake by not buying the "for her" version. So for all you naysayers polls can have some benefit.
Thank you for sharing! This poll made me change mind from Amara view. My RT now told me to try the Dreamwear nasal cushion before the pillows and it has been great.
I agree with you about the naysayers. Seeing how most people use a nasal variant swayed me.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:40 pm

USMCVet wrote:
lathnos46 wrote:And I ordered the Resmed pillow mask from Cpap.com because of this poll and it will arrive the day after Christmas. I was/am using the ResMed N20 but have been having lousy leak rates lately so I am ready to try something new. I do hope I did not make a mistake by not buying the "for her" version. So for all you naysayers polls can have some benefit.
Thank you for sharing! This poll made me change mind from Amara view. My RT now told me to try the Dreamwear nasal cushion before the pillows and it has been great.
I agree with you about the naysayers. Seeing how most people use a nasal variant swayed me.
That would NEVER sway me.
I picked the best mask FOR ME right off the bat......before I even started therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
USMCVet wrote:
I picked the best mask FOR ME right off the bat......before I even started therapy.

Den

I'll bet you didn't rely on a public vote to find a mask, neither did I. I looked online to find what I thought might work, then spent the time to make it work. First one worked sort of, but second one worked better Corrected my mouth breathing (mostly) went with Nasal mask that works with FF fall back. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
USMCVet wrote:

Den

My rationale was if most of the great people here were using them then my odds of picking one that would work off the bat were better .
Worked out for me.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:45 pm

USMCVet wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
USMCVet wrote:

Den

My rationale was if most of the great people here were using them then my odds of picking one that would work off the bat were better .
Worked out for me.
When I started therapy, there weren't that many nasal pillows masks available.
I also got the impression that people with slotted nares were not a good match for nasal pillows. Round nares are better.
But, the main thing was I just couldn't visualize myself using that type of mask.

Glad it worked for you.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05