SoClean CPAP Cleaner: Comments?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kiralynx

SoClean CPAP Cleaner: Comments?

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm

My brother-in-law is apparently dealing with repeated infections, and was wondering if the SoClean CPAP Cleaner https://www.soclean.com/soclean/ might help.

I know zilch about it. Apparently uses Ozone.

If the commentary from my nephew is to be believed, my BIL's CPAP would benefit more by simply being cleaned regularly.

Anyway, my sister asked me to ask about it, since she doesn't do much online.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Goofproof

Re: SoClean CPAP Cleaner: Comments?

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Kiralynx wrote:My brother-in-law is apparently dealing with repeated infections, and was wondering if the SoClean CPAP Cleaner https://www.soclean.com/soclean/ might help.

If the commentary from my nephew is to be believed, my BIL's CPAP would benefit more by simply being cleaned regularly.

Been here 9 years and you haven't seen any of the dozens of posts about the So Clean NO CLEAN scam. they don't clean, and it doubtful if they kill anything unless you beat a germ with it, and you even then have to hit them just right. The Will remove about $ 300 dollar of your germ laden Obama dollars out of your billfold. Jim
Last edited by Goofproof on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Cleaning is more effective, the device is mostly effective to harvest revenue from OCD sufferers. Note their ads--SCARE TACTICS.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:18 pm

The So Clean doesn't "clean" like we think or in the terms most of of think of as cleaning.
It zaps any germs or bacteria on the equipment with ozone so it kills (or supposedly does) but for actual dirt, grime, facial oils, etc....you still have to manually wash the equipment and even the SoClean directions will tell you this and they will happily sell you some cleaner for that purpose.

So if we are to believe that the ozone kills the germs....you essentially will still have equipment with facial oils, dirt, grime etc on it but supposedly no germs or bacteria would be able to multiply in that environment.

Any germs or bacteria on our equipment will gather those germs from someone in the household who handles the equipment...so the germs and bacteria are "our" germs anyway and those same germs are going to be on pretty much everything in our household.

Does the use of the ozone actually kill all those bugs...I don't know. I don't think I have ever seen actually studies published by a non biased group that does cultures to check for effectiveness of the supposed killing of the germs...even if it did I don't know that it is necessary given that these are our germs anyway and most likely all over the house as it is.

At any rate unless someone had a severely compromised immune system I don't know that I would spend the money to have something do what I could do with soap and water because you still have to use the soap and water (or similar manual cleaning) anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sc4922

Post by sc4922 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Kiralynx wrote:My brother-in-law is apparently dealing with repeated infections, and was wondering if the SoClean CPAP Cleaner https://www.soclean.com/soclean/ might help.

Does your brother-in-law use a heated humidifier? If so, how often does he change the water? When I started using CPAP 10 years ago, I would leave the water in the chamber for a few nights, and I kept getting sinus infections. I now change the water (always using distilled water) every night and have two water chambers that I alternate. I haven't had any problems since I started doing that.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Your nephew is spot on. The machine is for suckers.... There've been extensive discussions, including info from someone that works on commercial ozone sterilizers, who said that the socrap doesn't make enough ozone to sterilize anything, but it DOES make enough to degrade the plastics and silicone in your mask, machine and hose.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:44 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Been here 9 years and you haven't seen any of the dozens of posts about the So Clean NO CLEAN scam. they don't clean, and it doubtful if they kill anything unless you beat a germ with it, and you even then have to hit them just right. The Will remove about %300 dollar of your germ laden Obama dollars out of your billfold. Jim
I saw 'em. I never bothered to read them because I didn't figure I needed to shell out for a gadget to do something I could do myself.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Pugsy wrote:
At any rate unless someone had a severely compromised immune system I don't know that I would spend the money to have something do what I could do with soap and water because you still have to use the soap and water (or similar manual cleaning) anyway.
That's what I thought. And pretty much "Why pay them to theoretically do something I have to do myself, anyway?"

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:52 pm

sc4922 wrote:
Does your brother-in-law use a heated humidifier? If so, how often does he change the water? When I started using CPAP 10 years ago, I would leave the water in the chamber for a few nights, and I kept getting sinus infections. I now change the water (always using distilled water) every night and have two water chambers that I alternate. I haven't had any problems since I started doing that.
I believe he does -- they're out in the desert Southwest. I like that thought about having two humidifier chambers so you can sanitize one and let it dry completely while using the other. I'll pass that suggestion along to my sister.

I have a strong suspicion that, based on what my sister said, my BIL may not have been cleaning anything at all. Which would sure as heck explain the issues.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:58 pm

palerider wrote:
Your nephew is spot on. The machine is for suckers.... There've been extensive discussions, including info from someone that works on commercial ozone sterilizers, who said that the socrap doesn't make enough ozone to sterilize anything, but it DOES make enough to degrade the plastics and silicone in your mask, machine and hose.
As I noted earlier, I never bothered to read the discussions because I wasn't interested in the thingummy, not having $300 burning a hole in my pocket.

That it wouldn't degrade the plastics and silicone in mask, etc. does not surprise me.

My nephew can be an aggravation, but he's a good engineer. He chewed his Dad out for letting his equipment get dirty.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Kiralynx wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
Been here 9 years and you haven't seen any of the dozens of posts about the So Clean NO CLEAN scam. they don't clean, and it doubtful if they kill anything unless you beat a germ with it, and you even then have to hit them just right. The Will remove about %300 dollar of your germ laden Obama dollars out of your billfold. Jim
I saw 'em. I never bothered to read them because I didn't figure I needed to shell out for a gadget to do something I could do myself.
What I use is Puritans Pride Vit "C", timed release capsules, 1,000 mg and 500 mg. I take 1,000 mg daily, if I come down with a sore throat, I up it to 2,000 to 3,000 units daily spread out over the day. Never have seen a downside. I order online shipped to my door. I take a lot of their products. By 2 get three free, usually. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Pugsy wrote:The So Clean doesn't "clean" like we think or in the terms most of of think of as cleaning.
It zaps any germs or bacteria on the equipment with ozone so it kills (or supposedly does) but for actual dirt, grime, facial oils, etc....you still have to manually wash the equipment and even the SoClean directions will tell you this and they will happily sell you some cleaner for that purpose.

So if we are to believe that the ozone kills the germs....you essentially will still have equipment with facial oils, dirt, grime etc on it but supposedly no germs or bacteria would be able to multiply in that environment.

Any germs or bacteria on our equipment will gather those germs from someone in the household who handles the equipment...so the germs and bacteria are "our" germs anyway and those same germs are going to be on pretty much everything in our household.

Does the use of the ozone actually kill all those bugs...I don't know. I don't think I have ever seen actually studies published by a non biased group that does cultures to check for effectiveness of the supposed killing of the germs...even if it did I don't know that it is necessary given that these are our germs anyway and most likely all over the house as it is.

Those left behind dead germs, most of them came off you, unless a stray dog wore your XPAP, BAD DOG ! Will be food for the next germs you have in and on you! Without germs your imnune system won't work in the future, What doesn't kill us makes us stronger! Jim

DonO

Post by DonO » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:14 pm

I read all of the negative comments on this site, but decided to buy one anyway. I like it. It gives me a place to put my mask that is clean when not in use. Also, I do not have to change the water in my reservoir except when it runs out. If SoClean happens to zap a few cells of bacteria with Ozone, I'm OK with that. It starts running at 10 AM, there is no one in the bedroom during that time. The only thing I don't like about it is that I have to disassemble the hoses when I need to take the CPAP with me on a trip. Though, that only take a minute. BTW, I still use wipes to clean my mask every day. So, I do not depend only on the SoClean for cleaning.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:26 pm

DonO wrote:I read all of the negative comments on this site, but decided to buy one anyway. I like it. It gives me a place to put my mask that is clean when not in use. Also, I do not have to change the water in my reservoir except when it runs out. If SoClean happens to zap a few cells of bacteria with Ozone, I'm OK with that. It starts running at 10 AM, there is no one in the bedroom during that time. The only thing I don't like about it is that I have to disassemble the hoses when I need to take the CPAP with me on a trip. Though, that only take a minute. BTW, I still use wipes to clean my mask every day. So, I do not depend only on the SoClean for cleaning.
Isn't $ 300 a little high for a shoe box, did it come with Air Jordan's in it... JIm

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Kiralynx wrote:
palerider wrote:
As I noted earlier, I never bothered to read the discussions because I wasn't interested in the thingummy, not having $300 burning a hole in my pocket.

That it wouldn't degrade the plastics and silicone in mask, etc. does not surprise me.

My nephew can be an aggravation, but he's a good engineer. He chewed his Dad out for letting his equipment get dirty.
I wasn't trying to imply you should have read the other threads, I was just clarifying that there has been a lot of discussion, and a firm consensus.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.