CPAP Machine Shuts Off At Night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
donzi

CPAP Machine Shuts Off At Night

Post by donzi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:27 pm

I have new Resmed Airsense 10 that I have been using for a few weeks. I got it because my S9 was 7+ years old and I thought it was starting to fail because it would randomly shut off at night while I was using it. It would turn off, I would wake up not being able to breath because the air pump was off, and since I have the auto turn-on feature enabled, I would breath in a couple of times and the machine would start again. I would fall back asleep but it is not the most fun way to spend the night. It would do this once a week or so.

Now, the brand new A10 is doing the same thing. It did it twice last night. I can see it on the Sleepyhead charts, at the exact times when I thought it happened overnight. So it seems to me one of two things is happening. 1) the new A10 is defective. This is the same unit that I complained about being noisy in an earlier thread. Or, 2) I'm doing something in my sleep causing the machine to shut down. Is it possible I'm breathing shallow enough that the machine somehow thinks it should turn off? Should I be calling my doctor or calling my DME supplier for a new machine?

Thoughts and comments welcome!

Wulfman...

Re: CPAP Machine Shuts Off At Night

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:49 pm

donzi wrote:I have new Resmed Airsense 10 that I have been using for a few weeks. I got it because my S9 was 7+ years old and I thought it was starting to fail because it would randomly shut off at night while I was using it. It would turn off, I would wake up not being able to breath because the air pump was off, and since I have the auto turn-on feature enabled, I would breath in a couple of times and the machine would start again. I would fall back asleep but it is not the most fun way to spend the night. It would do this once a week or so.

Now, the brand new A10 is doing the same thing. It did it twice last night. I can see it on the Sleepyhead charts, at the exact times when I thought it happened overnight. So it seems to me one of two things is happening. 1) the new A10 is defective. This is the same unit that I complained about being noisy in an earlier thread. Or, 2) I'm doing something in my sleep causing the machine to shut down. Is it possible I'm breathing shallow enough that the machine somehow thinks it should turn off? Should I be calling my doctor or calling my DME supplier for a new machine?

Do your reports show massive leaking just before the shutoffs? It sounds like you have "Auto off" turned on ("SmartStart").

If you have lots of leaking, you'd want to turn that feature off so it will keep blowing air till your mask re-seals.

From Page 17 of the clinician's manual:

SmartStart™ Enable / disable the SmartStart feature.
If you enable the SmartStart feature, the device will start automatically when the patient breathes into the mask and then stop automatically when the patient removes the mask.
Off / On

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:10 pm

donzi wrote:I have new Resmed Airsense 10 that I have been using for a few weeks. I got it because my S9 was 7+ years old and I thought it was starting to fail because it would randomly shut off at night while I was using it. It would turn off, I would wake up not being able to breath because the air pump was off, and since I have the auto turn-on feature enabled, I would breath in a couple of times and the machine would start again. I would fall back asleep but it is not the most fun way to spend the night. It would do this once a week or so.

Shallow breathing won't make that happen, the only thing that would do it is if the machine sense almost no resistance at all to air flow. (ie, your mask is off)... even the fairly small resistance of a pillow mask is enough to keep the machine from shutting off if it's set to nasal or full face.

Turning off smartstart doesn't seem like a good idea, since then you'd have to wake up even more to restart the machine if there's something like power glitches turning it off. You could do like some folks do and set up a video camera to record yourself to see what's happening, or even sound recording, to see if you do hear a huge air leak.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

donzi

Post by donzi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:44 pm

I do have SmartStart turned on so when I go to bed I don't have to hit the on button. I didn't know it had a 'smart' shut off as well. I'll try with it off since I don't recall ever having a power glitch that turns it off so it seems worth the risk compared to this happening several time a night. In fact I went back through my charts and can see where it has happened up to 5 times in a single night without me even knowing about it. If it works I can play around with different mask settings.

I don't see any 'Large Leaks' in my Sleepyhead software before thus happens but I do see some Leak Rate spikes at that time. You are probably on to something.

Thanks!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:20 pm

donzi wrote:I do have SmartStart turned on so when I go to bed I don't have to hit the on button. I didn't know it had a 'smart' shut off as well. I'll try with it off since I don't recall ever having a power glitch that turns it off so it seems worth the risk compared to this happening several time a night. In fact I went back through my charts and can see where it has happened up to 5 times in a single night without me even knowing about it. If it works I can play around with different mask settings.

I don't see any 'Large Leaks' in my Sleepyhead software before thus happens but I do see some Leak Rate spikes at that time. You are probably on to something.

Thanks!
YES...Smart start also is smart off. If you stop breathing or pull off your mask to adjust for leaks, the smart start turns off. Same when you take off the mask in the morning, it automatically shuts off. (ResMed machines continue to run at a low speed even when you turn the unit off...this is to dry the hose.)

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Wait a minute, I have the machine coming back on after a power failure and it never shuts off with no one there (I at least know it won't for at least a half hour). I've tried to stop that with smart and dumb settings to no avail. So I don't think it is shutting off from a power glitch.
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW

jsielke

Post by jsielke » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:21 am

I had my machine shut off a few times also. Turned out my cat was stepping on it on the way to the bed! Fixed a plastic hinged lid to cover the button, and no more problem.

ASPROPAUL

Post by ASPROPAUL » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:28 pm

I have a Resmed Easy Breath Elite which is about 5 years old. It recently started to stop and immediately start again all the time and woke me up
I pressed 2 buttons at the same time to bring up more menu options, the small narrow button with 2 ticked boxes on it (small and hard to see the boxes) and the main large right button that you can turn. A new menu will appear with 4 icons on the left as menu choice options. You have got 4 icons on the left, go to Options, 2nd icon, then go to Smart stay and turn it off. Problem (whatever it was) solved. When you put the mask on simply press the on/off button which is the left button on the machine

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:14 am

You're responding to a 2 yr old post.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:31 am

As Julie says....zombie thread alert folks...someone just wanted to help and new to the forum and didn't realize the age of the thread.
I can't fix that side of things. Happens all the time.

A newbie posted something that they found helped them and wanted to offer it to others...no need to try to help the older posts. Save your fingers.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.