RemZzzs mask liner fail - worse than no cpap at all

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Neicy

RemZzzs mask liner fail - worse than no cpap at all

Post by Neicy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:41 pm

This is my second attempt at using a mask liner with the Quattro FFM. First time with the small size mask, this time with extra small size mask. All I remember is repeatedly waking up with the bottom of the mask in my mouth and sliding it back to below my lip and trying to swallow and moisten my throat. Wish I had worn the oximeter because the headache when I woke up was proof that my O2 was in the gutter. Going to try the Pad-a-cheek instead.

But this is a perfect example of how large leaks can fool the machine into missing events - my AHI was most certainly NOT 0.48 as indicated. I feel like absolute crap today. Going back to no liner tonight with acceptable leaking but mask stuck to the bridge of my nose. Or maybe cut the liner and just use everything but the bottom?

Amara View (FFM) works great for leaks but the small cushion caused my left nostril to crack and bleed. Might try medium cushion as I really like that mask.

Just chalk it up to a lost night I guess.

PS. Would not have posted this before the rules change on this forum BTW

Additional Comments: 21/25 PS3 A work in progress.
Neicy
Non-treated AHI = 29 non-REM, 55 REM
Diagnosed Nov. 2011
Started CPAP Jan. 25, 2012

LSAT

Re: RemZzzs mask liner fail - worse than no cpap at all

Post by LSAT » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Sounds to me that the Q mask is too small if it is riding up on your lip...Have you tried a Med?
Last edited by LSAT on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Unfortunately an experiment that failed badly. It can happen to anyone for any number of reasons. I know I have had my share.
We learn from the bad experiments too so not a total failure....you learned just how bad things could be and what not to try again.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Neicy

Post by Neicy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:00 pm

LSAT wrote:Sounds to me that the Q mask is too small if it is riding up on your lip...Have you tried a Med?

Extra small size only rode up with the mask liner. Small size is a tad too large - leaks unless really strapped tight. This mask runs larger than the Ultra Mirage FFM, which fit great in a small but was less adjustable on the bridge of the nose.

Having a narrow bridge on the nose makes it hard to get a good seal. Also makes choosing eyeglass frames difficult too. Most styles slide right down my nose .

Neicy
Diagnosed Nov. 2011

Neicy

Post by Neicy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Pugsy wrote:Unfortunately an experiment that failed badly. It can happen to anyone for any number of reasons. I know I have had my share.
We learn from the bad experiments too so not a total failure....you learned just how bad things could be and what not to try again.
You got that right!

What really surprised me was how easily the AHI can be so wrong! Anyone looking at just that number would be totally mislead. Sadly that is what is looked at by the docs who quickly look at the stats at appointments when you have 5-7 minutes to discuss the last 3 months of treatment. That's how long I will have to tell him I have maxed out the machine at 20 most nights, am starting to have trouble exhaling even with EPR at 3, and want to go to a Bipap machine.

I am so envious of those who can be controlled on lower pressures and see <2.0 AHI and feel good most days.

Neicy
Diagnosed Nov. 2011

library lady

Post by library lady » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:15 pm

I started with a medium Quattro Air; decided it was too big so tried a small. That small one ended up in my mouth all the time, so I went back to the medium. After a week of experimentation, I found the right fit with my headgear, and the medium turned out to be the right size. One of the things that continued was the constant leakage, for which I experimented as well. Started with a Pad-A-Cheek, ended up going with RemZZZ which worked fine for me. I did find that the RemZZZ liner doesn't need to be tossed after each night's use. I could use it for three or four nights and wash it, though eventually they wear out. These days I make my own liners.. old t-shirts are great, and I found a pattern online that I downloaded. No sewing needed, nor more money spent on liners.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Have you tried the Resmed F20 mask? This is the first mask I have found that sealed well across the bridge of my nose. I also have a very narrow bridge.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Neicy

Post by Neicy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Okie bipap wrote:Have you tried the Resmed F20 mask? This is the first mask I have found that sealed well across the bridge of my nose. I also have a very narrow bridge.
Thanks for the suggestion - I have not tried that one.

Tonight I looked in the mirror and I now have a HUGE blister across the bridge of my nose . So it will be back to the Amara View until it is healed. Must have been friction of the liner against my skin from repeatedly sliding the mask down every time I woke up with it in my mouth. Or it's the type of material. And I have to go to work Monday with a bandaid on my nose? Just freaking wonderful

Neicy
Diagnosed Nov. 2011

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:19 pm

Neicy wrote:
Okie bipap wrote:Have you tried the Resmed F20 mask? This is the first mask I have found that sealed well across the bridge of my nose. I also have a very narrow bridge.
Thanks for the suggestion - I have not tried that one.

Tonight I looked in the mirror and I now have a HUGE blister across the bridge of my nose . So it will be back to the Amara View until it is healed. Must have been friction of the liner against my skin from repeatedly sliding the mask down every time I woke up with it in my mouth. Or it's the type of material. And I have to go to work Monday with a bandaid on my nose? Just freaking wonderful
Bandaid or Moleskin (Foot Care Dept) will protect nose.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:58 pm

When I developed a sore on the bridge of my nose, I used a Band Aid until it healed, then started using moleskin on my nose every night to keep the mask from rubbing.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:02 pm

My first nasal mask caused blisters on the skin on both sides of the nose. I used bandaids at night and Lansinoh ointment during the day. This helped to prep the skin to deal with the mask. The ointment is used by nursing mothers and found in the baby area.
When I switched to nasal pillows I had to use it again on the opening of the nostrils. After a few days the soreness is gone and never returned.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:57 pm

The Quattro is a dance with the devil. I tried multiple sizes and various liners. I could never get it to stop leaking. Mind you everyone is different but I always found that the liners made leaks worse.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:The Quattro is a dance with the devil. ....
Boy! That’s a true statement. My first mask that bucked me off every night for my first six months. I was almost one of the 50% failure rate.