Taping!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Taping!

Post by Goofproof » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Not that Taping is a bad thing, Mouthbreathing is a bad thing. Just poking at having to do it. I don't I've trained my self to control it, some what to keep the level down under 40 LPM. If it stops working I use my FF Mask. I chech my data to make sure the leak stays under 40 LPM Total MASK vent rate and other leaks combined under 40 LPM. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

dcheddar

Re: Taping!

Post by dcheddar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 pm

That sure is true for many brands of tape out there.

For anyone considering taping, try CVS brand Gentle Paper Tape. It really is gentle.
I tape every night, and it doesn't irritate my skin at all.

If I don't use tape, I wake up many times each night with air rushing out my mouth.
I know taping is dangerous, but so is lack of sleep, so I take my chances.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:06 am

dcheddar wrote:That sure is true for many brands of tape out there.

For anyone considering taping, try CVS brand Gentle Paper Tape. It really is gentle.

If I don't use tape, I wake up many times each night with air rushing out my mouth.
I used taping to help me understand that it was mouth leaking which was disturbing my sleep. Then I switched to using the Ultimate Chinstrap which I have been using for 7 years.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

klv329

Post by klv329 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:27 am

Been using one strip if durapore tape for the lips and then strips of micropore around it. The durapore tape usually loses its seal, but it protects the lips.

AMK

Post by AMK » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:34 am

This is me. Also Bandaid brand paper tape is good.

coconur

Post by coconur » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:32 pm

klv329 wrote:Been using one strip if durapore tape for the lips and then strips of micropore around it. The durapore tape usually loses its seal, but it protects the lips.
If you've ever seen a woman pursing her lips after applying lipstick (or done it yourself) that's what I do before applying the tape. It makes an airtight seal, and keeps the tape off the actual lips.

I'm curious what some might think is so dangerous about taping. I've been doing it for nearly 10 years, and have yet to experience anything I thought was truly dangerous. Not trying to start a war, just really want to understand.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:38 pm

coconur wrote:
klv329 wrote:Been using one strip if durapore tape for the lips and then strips of micropore around it. The durapore tape usually loses its seal, but it protects the lips.
If you've ever seen a woman pursing her lips after applying lipstick (or done it yourself) that's what I do before applying the tape. It makes an airtight seal, and keeps the tape off the actual lips.

I'm curious what some might think is so dangerous about taping. I've been doing it for nearly 10 years, and have yet to experience anything I thought was truly dangerous. Not trying to start a war, just really want to understand.
I would call it dangerous if my hands were tied behind my back, but then I'd probably breath thru my nose. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:43 pm

coconur wrote: I'm curious what some might think is so dangerous about taping. I've been doing it for nearly 10 years, and have yet to experience anything I thought was truly dangerous. Not trying to start a war, just really want to understand.
Coconur, the only "danger" I've seen discussed here is people talking about vomiting in their sleep, then choking. I don't know how real the danger is, but have never experienced it myself.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:51 pm

I considered trying Frog Tape, but it didn't seem like a good idea.

bdz

Post by bdz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:00 pm

I take a bandaid, cut all but 1/4 inch on each side of the pad. The pad is what goes over my lips. It is placed vertically, of course. With the bandaid, along with my chin strap, I am fine. Can’t afford to have the tape on my lips.

Other times I have used a 1 1/2 strip of tape, put a 3/4 strip of tape over the area that goes over my lips.

Additional Comments: Luckily the Oracle is not flimsy. Bought several. Thanks to JDS74, I have lots of inner flaps.
Peace begins with each of us as individuals

coconur

Post by coconur » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:48 pm

Bertha deBlues wrote:
coconur wrote: I'm curious what some might think is so dangerous about taping. I've been doing it for nearly 10 years, and have yet to experience anything I thought was truly dangerous. Not trying to start a war, just really want to understand.
Coconur, the only "danger" I've seen discussed here is people talking about vomiting in their sleep, then choking. I don't know how real the danger is, but have never experienced it myself.
That would definitely be bad. I actually can't remember being that ill while using cpap, but you'd definitely want to get the tape off quickly if that happened.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:50 pm

coconur wrote:
Bertha deBlues wrote:
That would definitely be bad. I actually can't remember being that ill while using cpap, but you'd definitely want to get the tape off quickly if that happened.
12 years, never had that problem. Jim

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:51 pm

I used a 3m brand tape and never had any issues with it. I used a piece wider than my mouth so I could fold over one end to make a tab should I need to remove it quickly.

jsielke

Post by jsielke » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 am

TedVPAP wrote:

I used taping to help me understand that it was mouth leaking which was disturbing my sleep. Then I switched to using the Ultimate Chinstrap which I have been using for 7 years.
I have a bad reaction to certain tapes. I think I got a sensitivity when I had a chest tube in for a pneumothorax a few years ago and was REALLY taped up. I got red and blistered, so I avoid taping if I can. Also, not so good with beard and mustache. I broke down and ordered that Ultimate Chinstrap. It should arrive today, so will see how that works, compared to the cervical collar I have been using.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:57 pm

jsielke wrote:
TedVPAP wrote:

I have a bad reaction to certain tapes. I think I got a sensitivity when I had a chest tube in for a pneumothorax a few years ago and was REALLY taped up. I got red and blistered, so I avoid taping if I can. Also, not so good with beard and mustache. I broke down and ordered that Ultimate Chinstrap. It should arrive today, so will see how that works, compared to the cervical collar I have been using.
I suggest folding a clean sock in half and using that as a liner to absorb the drool. Then you only have to wash the chinstrap 2-3 times a year.
I made some changes to it to unsure the straps are not too long and the Velcro overlapped completely.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur