Supply replacement without insurance,....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mark55

Supply replacement without insurance,....

Post by Mark55 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 am

I was just wondering how often you folks that go it alone replace your expendable items like masks, hoses, humidifier tubs, etc.

Seems like they should last a lot longer than the insurance replacement intervals if halfway taken care of. I can see the nasal pillow itself needing replaced most often, or so it would seem.

I'm working myself up to getting back on track with therapy after getting a self purchased machine. Should have started back a week or so ago, but I put it off because I am taking this week off, and didn't want to ruin my otherwise decent sleep.

I did manage to find a new F&P Brevida mask like I have been using for 40 bucks on Amazon, so I have another whole setup plus my 'old' one that is still working just fine. I have a brand new Amira View with med/large cushions also, but I can't get the darn thing to seal on me no matter what tricks I try.

If this works out, I might not even bother going back through my insurance to get set up with another doctor and DME supplier with a new machine. I know it sounds weird to most of you, but I don't like being monitored by anyone,.....much less a crappy DME that you can't get in touch with.

Just looking for suggestions on replacement schedules from those with lots more experience than me.

OkyDoky

Re: Supply replacement without insurance,....

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:46 am

Have one backup of everything then just replace it when it no longer works.

I've used a P10 for many months by monitoring for leaks with Sleepyhead and cleaning it occasionally. On the P10 the headgear is the weakest link due to stretching but can be washed and dried to resize a few times. Haven't needed to change my heated hose for 2 years now. The humidifier tank is cleaned wit a vinegar solution when I notice any buildup.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:48 am

Extending the life of expendables is quite common.
Careful and timely cleaning will help, including face as well as silicone.
Headgear wear out quicker if used too tight and/or not cleaned often enough.
Some consider it a challenge to use a mask or cushion for as long as possible.

Tater52403

Post by Tater52403 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 am

Not sure on the frequency of replacement of supplies. But did want to slip in and mention Amara View is the most comfortable mask Ive tried. It took me about 2 months to get a good seal. None of the tips or videos helped I had to find my own way. Mine came down to as simple as cleaning mask and face within 15 min of going to bed.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 am

Some of it varies depending on your experience and the level of "PITA" you have to deal with, that and what your willing to go through/put up with...

If your insurance is good and you have a reasonable deductible that you easily hit each year I would go gung ho and get every stitch of gear your allowed by law. No more and no less. If I already found my faithful mask of choice that I know I like I would stockpile seals and parts and extra hoses etc... If you later, like me have to go alone for years or so with out resupplie, you can fall back on your "stash"

If the DME is being a useless pain in the backside I'd throw them to the curb, call your insurance company and they should be able to provide you with a list of DMEs that they work with and you can call them up and see who will be willing to work with you.

It's one of those things... DMEs or any business that provides a product of some sort should be willing to work with someone who has insurance if only because that should secure a bit of repeat business with little additional work on thire part.

I think a lot of DMEs are just poorly managed and you need to do a little homework when you start working with one. Also be ready to walk with your business if they can't work with you as a costomer.

More to the point of your initial post. Going on your own with no financial support/insurance.

From my own experience most of the gear we use will way way outlast the manufactures suggested replacement schedule. You can use hoses for years as long as they remain clean and don't leak. Head gear can be washed and there things you can do to shrink them down a bit. I don't have a lot of experience in that regard but there is info in the forum of people who have tricks and methods to make their supplies last.

Masks seals can be heated or washed in special ways to restore them back to their like new qualities at least a few times.

At that point it's just a mater of finding good deals online or from a provider like cpap.com. personally I would make sure you have at the very least one extra of everything you need in case you have a failure of Some sort. Hose breaks, mask hits the tile floor and cracks etc... You want to avoid anything that could cause you to be with out your XPAP for any linghth of time.

After that it's just a mater of what your budget can afford and if your still in search of the perfect mask and are willing to pay etc...

Hope others are able to chime in with advice on keeping their gear in tip top shape longer then normal.

Rest well

Gryphon

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:57 am

You can often find mask parts and sometimes complete masks on eBay or Craig's list. I have found complete masks on eBay when they were listed as "mask frame", but the picture showed a complete mask still in the sealed bag. Most components will last much longer than what the suppliers say. I am still using my hose and water reservoir that are almost two years old. I use full face masks, and get at least three months out of a cushion before it starts leaking too much. I keep spares of everything on hand, but since my wife uses the same set up as I do, I only need to keep one of each on hand and order supplies only when we need them. I get all of my supplies free of charge, but that is no reason to be wasteful.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:23 pm

Gryphon wrote:Some of it varies depending on your experience and the level of "PITA" you have to deal with, that and what your willing to go through/put up with...

If your insurance is good and you have a reasonable deductible that you easily hit each year I would go gung ho and get every stitch of gear your allowed by law. No more and no less. If I already found my faithful mask of choice that I know I like I would stockpile seals and parts and extra hoses etc... If you later, like me have to go alone for years or so with out resupplie, you can fall back on your "stash"

If the DME is being a useless pain in the backside I'd throw them to the curb, call your insurance company and they should be able to provide you with a list of DMEs that they work with and you can call them up and see who will be willing to work with you.

It's one of those things... DMEs or any business that provides a product of some sort should be willing to work with someone who has insurance if only because that should secure a bit of repeat business with little additional work on thire part.

I think a lot of DMEs are just poorly managed and you need to do a little homework when you start working with one. Also be ready to walk with your business if they can't work with you as a costomer.

More to the point of your initial post. Going on your own with no financial support/insurance.

From my own experience most of the gear we use will way way outlast the manufactures suggested replacement schedule. You can use hoses for years as long as they remain clean and don't leak. Head gear can be washed and there things you can do to shrink them down a bit. I don't have a lot of experience in that regard but there is info in the forum of people who have tricks and methods to make their supplies last.

Masks seals can be heated or washed in special ways to restore them back to their like new qualities at least a few times.

At that point it's just a mater of finding good deals online or from a provider like cpap.com. personally I would make sure you have at the very least one extra of everything you need in case you have a failure of Some sort. Hose breaks, mask hits the tile floor and cracks etc... You want to avoid anything that could cause you to be with out your XPAP for any linghth of time.

After that it's just a mater of what your budget can afford and if your still in search of the perfect mask and are willing to pay etc...

Hope others are able to chime in with advice on keeping their gear in tip top shape longer then normal.

Rest well

Gryphon
My situation was really a result of my own actions, not my insurance company, or financial circumstances. In a nutshell, I was dispensed a machine and assigned to Crapria as the DME provider. I was never fitted properly with a mask, (basically told to pick one and live with it) and due to that, along with a hurricane evacuation/loss of power in September, I was non-compliant in terms of usage for my 90 day period.

My sleep doctor is impossible to get in touch with, and never even set up a follow up appointment for me. I spent a solid week of my lunch hours trying to get in touch with someone at Crapria,......no human ever picked up. They finally started leaving messages for me when the billing department wanted me to pay on my own, or turn the machine in, and to let me know that I was NON-COMPLIANT of course. Gee,....wonder why I was non-compliant? No doctor, and no human at the equipment supplier to help me adapt to this huge change.

In the end, all I really needed was help in finding a suitable FFM to use with the machine. The Brevida I was using worked great in terms of comfort and leakage, but I started having problems with mouth leaks, and after trying pretty much all of the suggested fixes, realized I am going to need a FFM to succeed. They initially told me I would only be able to get another mask after 3 or 6 months had passed (don't remember which for sure), but I had to be compliant within 3 months. Obviously that didn't work out for me, so I turned in the machine after a talk with my insurance company. They suggested finding another sleep doctor, and getting a new machine through another DME provider,....basically starting over.

Knowing this could take months again, I fell upon a decent deal for a new machine of the same type I had from Crapria and bought it. I figured it could be my back-up if I went through the process again.

I have good insurance with a low deductible ($500.00), and I easily fulfill it every year due to some other health issues. Just thought I would lay out my story again for those that hadn't read it previously. This is how I ended up where I am today,....weighing my options, and trying to decide if I want to start the hassle of trying to find a good sleep doc/DME all over again.

I should add that I am blessed to not have to worry about coming up with the money out of pocket, although nobody really wants to spend money they don't have to when you have good insurance, and are paying dearly for that.

I appreciate the info from everyone.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 pm

I have never bought a machine using my insurance or DME. Long story there which I won't go into right now.
But I do use a DME for my insurance allowed mask stuff when I can and if they have what I want. Once mask every 6 months is allowed...couple of months ago I used that allowance to buy a full face mask for someone in need because I didn't need anything myself...and it had been over a year since my last mask purchase. My copay was still considerably less than online prices for that particular full face mask.

I only get stuff as I need it and this stuff will last a long, long time with common sense care.
I have a S9 heated hose that I finally retired...it had been through 4 different S9 machines and had well over 10,000 hours on it...probably closer to 15K hours.

Water chambers....I dropped one last month and broke it...I had a spare on hand...so I ordered a new water chamber online as it ended up costing me just a couple dollars more than my insurance copay if I had gone through my DME...and I had it by Monday (dropped the other one on a Friday night).
So now I have one spare...that's all I need. In 8 years that is the first water chamber accident I have ever had.

The cushion of any mask is going to be the item with the shortest life potential and even those can have their lives extended with common sense care.
A lot will depend on your facial oils and whatever you do as part of your cleaning routine. The more skin your mask touches the more chance of facial oils getting into the silicone. I use a nasal pillow mask..not much skin to touch and my skin is not oily....I get months and months and months of life from one nasal pillow....and I might wash it once a month if I happen to think about it.
Full face mask cushions will have more skin to silicone contact so more chance of facial oils impacting the life of the mask cushion...just something you will have to sort out.
The mask frames...with common sense care they will/can last years.

Hoses...will last years with common sense care.

I try to keep one spare of the hose, water chamber and my primary mask on hand for emergencies like when I dropped the water chamber.

The main advantage to using a DME is finding the right mask if the DME will allow a person to exchange masks...some will and some won't.
My DME has a very generous mask swapping policy and it pertains to newbies as well as cpap veterans like myself.
You get a mask and you have 60 days to swap the mask for something else...and there's no limit to the number of swaps within that 60 day period.
They do require a physical swap though even though the swapped out mask end up in the trash. Just their rules to prevent someone using the 60 day period to accumulate inventory and go selling stuff on EBay or craigslist.
I did use that swapping once...they talked me into trying a mask just to try it (I pretty much knew it wasn't a good idea) and it didn't work out so I took it back and got another mask in the model that was my primary mask at the time.
The headgear on my old mask was getting pretty tired and stretched out...it was probably 2 years old at the time. Time for a new one anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Mark55 wrote:I was just wondering how often you folks that go it alone replace your expendable items like masks, hoses, humidifier tubs, etc.
I replace things when they wear out, not on any artificial schedule set by people that want to sell me things.

Filters when they're dirty,
hoses if they get a leak (and that'll happen a lot LESS if you're not washing the heck out of 'em),
mask parts when they break,
headgear when it's stretched too much,
cushions when they don't seal anymore....

I've got spares of everything, but I just don't feel the need to throw out perfectly good stuff.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:30 am

Haven't used insurance since the first few months of machine rental. When deductible reset in the new year I just bought two machines on my own. Dreamwear was a $60 upcharge. I bought a replacement shipped for that so using insurance would just cost me more. I went a year before changing mask and it didn't feel any better than the year old one. Almost end of the year again and haven't filled my deductible. Full face likely requires more replacements. Dreamwear is easy to clean and indestructible.
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Pugsy wrote:I have never bought a machine using my insurance or DME. Long story there which I won't go into right now.
But I do use a DME for my insurance allowed mask stuff when I can and if they have what I want. Once mask every 6 months is allowed...couple of months ago I used that allowance to buy a full face mask for someone in need because I didn't need anything myself...and it had been over a year since my last mask purchase. My copay was still considerably less than online prices for that particular full face mask.

I only get stuff as I need it and this stuff will last a long, long time with common sense care.
I have a S9 heated hose that I finally retired...it had been through 4 different S9 machines and had well over 10,000 hours on it...probably closer to 15K hours.

Water chambers....I dropped one last month and broke it...I had a spare on hand...so I ordered a new water chamber online as it ended up costing me just a couple dollars more than my insurance copay if I had gone through my DME...and I had it by Monday (dropped the other one on a Friday night).
So now I have one spare...that's all I need. In 8 years that is the first water chamber accident I have ever had.

The cushion of any mask is going to be the item with the shortest life potential and even those can have their lives extended with common sense care.
A lot will depend on your facial oils and whatever you do as part of your cleaning routine. The more skin your mask touches the more chance of facial oils getting into the silicone. I use a nasal pillow mask..not much skin to touch and my skin is not oily....I get months and months and months of life from one nasal pillow....and I might wash it once a month if I happen to think about it.
Full face mask cushions will have more skin to silicone contact so more chance of facial oils impacting the life of the mask cushion...just something you will have to sort out.
The mask frames...with common sense care they will/can last years.

Hoses...will last years with common sense care.

I try to keep one spare of the hose, water chamber and my primary mask on hand for emergencies like when I dropped the water chamber.

The main advantage to using a DME is finding the right mask if the DME will allow a person to exchange masks...some will and some won't.
My DME has a very generous mask swapping policy and it pertains to newbies as well as cpap veterans like myself.
You get a mask and you have 60 days to swap the mask for something else...and there's no limit to the number of swaps within that 60 day period.
They do require a physical swap though even though the swapped out mask end up in the trash. Just their rules to prevent someone using the 60 day period to accumulate inventory and go selling stuff on EBay or craigslist.
I did use that swapping once...they talked me into trying a mask just to try it (I pretty much knew it wasn't a good idea) and it didn't work out so I took it back and got another mask in the model that was my primary mask at the time.
The headgear on my old mask was getting pretty tired and stretched out...it was probably 2 years old at the time. Time for a new one anyway.
I don't see how I would get my insurance to pick up my supplies since I turned the machine in for non-compliance. They gave me the impression I would have to start over with a new doctor and DME provider with a new machine, and become compliant.

I didn't think to ask if they would cover my supplies with a self owned machine.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:49 pm

"I didn't think to ask if they would cover my supplies with a self owned machine."
You could ask your insurance this question, then probably get your doctor
to attest that you are using cpap, and benefit from it.
(Might need to submit data, proving compliance--sd card)
Insurance should be delighted they did not have to pay for your current machine.
You still might be able to stick insurance for your backup machine.
Your insurance should not be "married" to the DME--not legally, anyway.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:"I didn't think to ask if they would cover my supplies with a self owned machine."
You could ask your insurance this question, then probably get your doctor
to attest that you are using cpap, and benefit from it.
(Might need to submit data, proving compliance--sd card)
Insurance should be delighted they did not have to pay for your current machine.
You still might be able to stick insurance for your backup machine.
Your insurance should not be "married" to the DME--not legally, anyway.
I agree,....I just figured my being initially non-compliant lets them totally off the hook.
It's rather crazy that you have 90 days to become complaint, but you can only get a different mask every 3 to 6 months depending on company. That means if your choice doesn't work for you, it's impossible to be compliant in 90 days. For what it's worth, (which is nothing), I feel 90 days is a ridiculously short period of time to adapt to a life changing routine such as cpap, especially if you are having problems finding the right mask.

It is what it is though.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:28 pm

90 days is not enough for a lot of people--especially with unavailability of mask choices.
It does seem like the game is fixed.
All the more reason to FIGHT for your health.
I was told that my doctor could write a letter of medical necessity for a different mask,
over-riding the penurious insurance timing.
I was then able to stop using a mask that was trying to MOVE MY TEETH.
Use all the tools you can to make cpap work.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:35 am

Ask your insurance if they will still cover supplies with a self purchased machine based on the original sleep study diagnosis.

I never proved compliance at all...now my insurance is Medicare ...so there's no guarantee that yours will work like Medicare but if you don't ask the answer is always no.

The mask and other supplies have always been covered and I have never had to "prove" anything to Medicare. It's been 8 years now and I haven't seen the sleep doc since Aug of 2009 and I just got a new mask a couple of months ago along with a couple of other little extra spare items for my new AirSense machine that I bought privately in Aug.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.