CPAP Doesn't Work because nose is clogged

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Davidwirth

CPAP Doesn't Work because nose is clogged

Post by Davidwirth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 am

Ok so for years I have been having the problem of my nose stuffing up on one side when I go to sleep walk up flip sides then the clog goes to the other side. There is also when both sides clog up. This only happens when I lie down. Of course snoring is a big issue. I complained to Drs. they say you have allergies (no tests done they just looked at my nose one didn't even look at my nose). They send me to the sleep study and say yeah you have sleep apnea here is your cpap. How can the cpap work when my nose is clogged??!!! I end up falling asleep and then my mouth opens because I still can't breathe through my nose. The stuffed up is so bad that I can actually hold my finger on my nose to close the open passage and blow as hard as I can and there isn't even any movement on the other nostril. There is even times when it is completely clogged and it runs clear I try to blow my nose and can't get any air through yet it is still running. they give me the stuff to shoot up my nose...it doesn't work it. If I am laying down and shoot it I feel it running down my throat and it doesn't do anything if I am sitting up it runs back out my nose with no affect. Anyone have these symptoms or know a fix...I did have my septum repaired...I was able to breathe for about 6 months then it started back up again..Dr who did the job said yeah only other thing he could do would be reshaping the bone at the top of the nose but he said that the way mine was shaped it wouldn't do much good. The problem is snoring wife has had it and wants me back on CPAP but the CPAP isn't working.

Goofproof

Re: CPAP Doesn't Work because nose is clogged

Post by Goofproof » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:32 am

There are two solutions for that, you need a Full Face Mask, everyone does but resist to the max. Their loss, cutting down your options just makes life harder.

OTC Decongestants before bed works, I use Sam's Club's Member Mark Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride tabs 400 count cheap! Using XPAP helps keep the nose clear. I'm also a believer in Vit "C" caps 1,000 mg daily if well, up tp 3,000 it sick, it puts curl in your tail. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:35 am

The alternating clogged nasal passage at night is not all that unusual. Other than medications such as Flonase, or nasal rinses before bedtime, elevating the head of bed (to decrease nasal pressure) and a full face mask would be a way to work around the problem. Have you tried a FF mask?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am

Goofproof wrote:There are two solutions for that, you need a Full Face Mask, everyone does but resist to the max. Their loss, cutting down your options just makes life harder.
Jim
Why does nearly everyone assume a FFM is a valid option for EVERYONE? How about those folks try wearing the mask on the part of their head normally on the pillow tell me how comfortable that is?

Top of the head is the only place that:

A) Keeps the hose out of the way so you don't lay on it and it can't wrap around your neck.

B) Allows a person to sleep in ANY position other than standing on their head.

C) Doesn't require a padded brick to sleep on your side.

D) Doesn't require contortionist skills to sleep on your front.

and

E) Makes absolutely no difference to back sleepers.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 am

Max
While a FF mask is not my first choice, we are looking for solutions for the OP where they can use their CPAP. Many people do use FF masks without problems so I'm hoping the OP will be one of them.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:58 am

OkyDoky wrote:Max
While a FF mask is not my first choice, we are looking for solutions for the OP where they can use their CPAP. Many people do use FF masks without problems so I'm hoping the OP will be one of them.
My comment was directly to Jim making it sound like it's a choice for everyone.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Have you ever tried Breathe Right strips?
If used frequently, you may need to take your time removing them.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:04 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
Goofproof wrote:There are two solutions for that, you need a Full Face Mask, everyone does but resist to the max. Their loss, cutting down your options just makes life harder.
Jim
Why does nearly everyone assume a FFM is a valid option for EVERYONE? How about those folks try wearing the mask on the part of their head normally on the pillow tell me how comfortable that is?

Top of the head is the only place that:

A) Keeps the hose out of the way so you don't lay on it and it can't wrap around your neck.

B) Allows a person to sleep in ANY position other than standing on their head.

C) Doesn't require a padded brick to sleep on your side.

D) Doesn't require contortionist skills to sleep on your front.

and

E) Makes absolutely no difference to back sleepers.
New that was coming! If Full Face masks were given from the start, XPAP success rates would go from 50% to 75%, due to curing mouthbreathing problems, (generally ignored because people don't know their results could be null), most FF masks are cooler to wear. You really need both types of masks, but if you master a FF, you are good to go.

I used a FF mask for 7 years, due to congestion, trained myself to control mouth breathing, used a Comfort Gel Nasal mask for 5 years, slight mouth breathing, but leak rates under 40 lpm total leak. I use nasal 90 % of the time, but I have options, not a closed mind.

I'd also like to add my XPAP treatment is successful, I'd make sure I didn't put too much faith in advice on here that, haven't got their own treatment sorted out. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Davidwirth wrote:nose stuffing up on one side
Even the research docs don't completely understand the nasal cycle, but it is definitely a thing.

( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5053491/ )

It may seem like the root of some other-worldly problem, but it is best to ignore it and work around it to the extent you can, since as has been said, it is common--though, admittedly, perhaps not always as severe as what you are dealing with.

I am able to use nasal pillows by keeping my PAP pressure HIGH enough to overcome the sinus issues.

It also helps me to use nasal irrigation of the plastic-squeeze-bottle Neilmed sort when having more severe troubles.

( http://www.neilmed.com/neilmedblog/2010 ... rrigation/ )

I use it (though only occasionally) about an hour before bed so the salt water has time to drain away before I lie down and hose up.
Davidwirth wrote:they give me the stuff to shoot up my nose.
Depending on what it was, some of that stuff has a bad rebound effect that can make the problem worse for longer than it makes the problem better, once you stop using it.
NYT dudes wrote:Doctors call nasal stuffiness and blockage that are caused more by the treatment than the original problem rhinitis medicamentosa, a term coined in 1946.-- http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/14/health/14spra.html
Last edited by jnk... on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Goofproof wrote:New that was coming! If Full Face masks were given from the start, XPAP success rates would go from 50% to 75%, due to curing mouthbreathing problems, (generally ignored because people don't know their results could be null), most FF masks are cooler to wear. You really need both types of masks, but if you master a FF, you are good to go.

I used a FF mask for 7 years, due to congestion, trained myself to control mouth breathing, used a Comfort Gel Nasal mask for 5 years, slight mouth breathing, but leak rates under 40 lpm total leak. I use nasal 90 % of the time, but I have options, not a closed mind.

I'd also like to add my XPAP treatment is successful, I'd make sure I didn't put too much faith in advice on here that, haven't got their own treatment sorted out. Jim
Firstly, you forgot a "K"

Secondly, after almost 4 full months, 2 different machines, settings all over the place, a FFM, a hybrid, and a nasal mask, my lack of achieving xPAP Nirvana is NOT by choice.

I did manage to get to a point where I know I can get great data but very little crappy sleep, or crappy data with more crappy sleep. I'm currently doing the crappy data and crappy sleep along with daily headaches and feeling like a caffeinated zombie all day. Again, not my choice.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:58 pm

i second the recommendation from okydoky on flonase. it's readily available over the counter wherever you usually shop for such.

non habit forming, too.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:03 pm

And then there are a few of us for whom there is no full face mask designed to fit.
(even my stunningly beautiful, but non-standard face)
There was one--once; but it was discontinued immediately after I discovered it.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:26 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:And then there are a few of us for whom there is no full face mask designed to fit.
(even my stunningly beautiful, but non-standard face)
There was one--once; but it was discontinued immediately after I discovered it.
OK, yet another reason a FFM isn't the be all end all for everyone. It isn't a choice for some people no matter how many think it is.

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:00 pm

I use on occasion KAZ Steam Activated Inhalant that can be found at Wallmart for a couple bucks. A lifetime supply. Basically menthol Vicks Vapo Rub in a liquid form to be put in vaporizers. I just rub it just on the inside of the nose. It might just kill me, but if you can't sleep.
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
Why does nearly everyone assume a FFM is a valid option for EVERYONE?
You will find that forum members in general will recommend what they are using and works for them because that's all we have to go on to recommend most of the time. You have some bad experiences with the masks you have tried so you talk about how bad your experiences are...not everyone has had the same bad experiences you have had but all you really have to offer anyone is your bad experience.
It comes with the territory and some people are simply more hmmmmm vocal (might be the term) about their recommendations or thoughts.
Those people get to express their opinion just like you get to express yours.

The cold hard facts of life though....if you can't breathe through your nose and it forces you to mouth breathe A LOT...then a full face mask is pretty much the only choice available if someone wants to do cpap effectively. People gotta breathe somehow and if can't happen through the nose it's gonna happen through the mouth.

Since the OP in this thread hasn't apparently even tried a FFM...it's worth offering as an option.

There are other options ...like working on the nasal congestion as mentioned above. If it is the normal nasal cycle thing going on...that's a tough one to deal with.

Another option is to evaluate just how bad the mouth breathing might be impacting the therapy itself and make a decision as to which might be worse....full face mask or letting a little mouth breathing slide and maybe impacting the therapy and/or the sleep.

What I would do in this situation is ask the person how they wanted to proceed in dealing with the issue and then offer the options. That's the way I like to do things. I have always said it isn't my job to make a mask decision for someone...my job is try to help make whatever they want to do ....work for them. Other people are quick to try to make a mask decision for someone but while I don't do that...it's within someone else's rights to offer their own thoughts about the best way to proceed and they do it base on their own experience. We all do that.
If someone wants to try a full face mask then we try to find one that might suit their preferences and needs.
If someone wants to try to fix the nose first...then we try to fix the nose.
For me anyway...it all boils down to what the OP wants to try...not what I or anyone else thinks they should try.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.