Xanax

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Newbie312

Xanax

Post by Newbie312 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:41 pm

I went to doctors today because I've been extremely exhausted lately and still waiting on sleep study results.
I have been getting 7 to 9 hours of sleep according to Fitbit every night but still exhausted. Dr today prescribed me 0.5 mg Xanax. Won't that just make things worse if I have sleep apnea?

Julie

Re: Xanax

Post by Julie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Quite likely... you should ask him for Provigil while you're waiting unless you are very anxious, nervous, etc.

Newbie312

Post by Newbie312 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:49 pm

I looked into that after reading about it on here but don't think it's right for me. I have hypertension as it is and have to go back to a cardiologist for an abnormal EKG.
Dr took me off amplodipine besylate for hypertension and put me on some beta blocker too. She told me the amplodipine could be making my heart race and preventing me from getting good sleep and the Xanax should help me sleep as well.
I even told her on occasion I wake up and not being able to breath for a few seconds.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Newbie312 wrote:I went to doctors today because I've been extremely exhausted lately and still waiting on sleep study results.
I have been getting 7 to 9 hours of sleep according to Fitbit every night but still exhausted. Dr today prescribed me 0.5 mg Xanax. Won't that just make things worse if I have sleep apnea?

I've take 0.5 mg Xanax. Hasn't made my sleep apnea worse. It is very addictive and should be used cautiously. If it turns out you do have sleep apnea and begin using the machine, hopefully you'll start feeling better and you can taper off the Xanax.

You'll probably have many questions so don't hesitate to come back and ask them. There are many knowledgeable people here who have been there done that, and will be glad to help you get off to a great start.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Newbie312 wrote:I went to doctors today because I've been extremely exhausted lately and still waiting on sleep study results.
I am SMH big time at the thought of the doctor prescribing a benzo to help you sleep when the problem is most likely due to sleep apnea. Personally, I would not take it but obviously, it is your decision.

When do you get the results of your sleep study?

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Quick story. Became more fatigued in my life once I started cpap. Found out (according to my doc) it was the temazapam that I took (off it now) for sleep causing it.

Newbie312

Post by Newbie312 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:37 pm

My follow up appointment for sleep study is the 27th so in 10 days. I'm going to try the Xanax to see if it makes a difference. She talked about later putting me on some other low dose thing but if CPAP gets me rest then I'm not going to take unnecessary medication.
So if I do get a CPAP I will definitely be looking for advice to maximize it's effectiveness.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Prescribing a medication before getting test results seems out of order to me if you haven't explicitly reported symptoms indicating a clear need for the med, especially a med known to be potentially problematic. Was your doctor interpreting your wake-ups with trouble breathing as anxiety? Those symptoms could be caused by sleep apnea, reflux, or who knows what else. While you're waiting on results and a plan going forward, maybe you could mitigate your nighttime episodes with some generic self help efforts. Sleeping with your upper body slightly inclined may be helpful if it is OSA or reflux. Avoid back sleeping if possible. If you tend to tuck your neck with side sleeping, a cervical collar or a c-shaped travel pillow worn backward can help keep things aligned and less prone to airway compromise. I know how scary it can be to wake up unable to breathe. Hope you get things sorted out soon.

Newbie312

Post by Newbie312 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 pm

So I took .25 mg Xanax tonight for sleep. Normally I wake up in 4 hours and have to try and get back to sleep. Tonight after taking meds I woke up after almost 3 hours. when I started to fall alseep I kept noticing myself snoring which I don't normally notice. I do feel more refreshed then usual but the problem is it seems harder to fall back to sleep.
Dr. Kept asking why I woke up and if I had nightmares and all that and I told her no. I told her I wake up for no specific reason and I'm not doing the things I enjoy or used to do because I have been so exhausted. I think she assumed anxiety maybe because I was so tired during appointment and my blood pressure was 172 / 100 and heart rate was around 124 bpm. I even explained I just got done drinking a ton of soda and that my normal resting HR is in 70's and blood pressure isn't usually that high either.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:51 am

Newbie312 wrote:So I took .25 mg Xanax tonight for sleep. Normally I wake up in 4 hours and have to try and get back to sleep. Tonight after taking meds I woke up after almost 3 hours. when I started to fall alseep I kept noticing myself snoring which I don't normally notice. I do feel more refreshed then usual but the problem is it seems harder to fall back to sleep.
Dr. Kept asking why I woke up and if I had nightmares and all that and I told her no. I told her I wake up for no specific reason and I'm not doing the things I enjoy or used to do because I have been so exhausted. I think she assumed anxiety maybe because I was so tired during appointment and my blood pressure was 172 / 100 and heart rate was around 124 bpm. I even explained I just got done drinking a ton of soda and that my normal resting HR is in 70's and blood pressure isn't usually that high either.
That is not a good sign and if I were in your situation, I would stop taking the drug, particularly since it is quite easy to get dependent on Benzos.

AMK

Post by AMK » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:22 am

Could you ask her about Trazodone for sleep?

Newbie312

Post by Newbie312 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:46 am

I just looked in trazedone and it looks like a longer term medication which is definitely not something I want.
I'm going to try the Xanax again for next 2 nights but after last night it seemed to make me get less rest.
I slept for about 3 hrs then woke up and couldn't fall back asleep for for about 3.5 hrs and slept for about another 2.5 hrs.

So all in all I slept for about 5.5hrs when I normally sleep for 7 to 9.
I'm still exhausted but going to try it for rest of weekend before calling back doctor with results.

If this doesn't make a difference I'm just going to go back to melatonin which helps me sleep longer . It just sucks because it seems no matter what I'm not rested. 9 days till sleep study results.

Speaking of which should I ask for auto cpap to do home titration study so I don't have to wait for another sleep study there?

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 am

Newbie,

I understand the frustration but playing "chase the perfect medication" without waiting to see what your sleep results are which will most likely lead to an apnea diagnosis is something you don't want to be doing. And taking Xanax, especially when you didn't have a good result the first time, is not the way to go since Benzos are very problematic for many people.

Just so you know, I didn't follow my own advice even when taking medication to sleep on the machine. I am now going through h-ll in trying to get off Temazepam in spite of tapering slowly. I just don't want anyone else to suffer.

If you haven't read Kteague's excellent post about things you do to lessen your apnea while waiting for your results, please read it again. She knows what she is talking about.

Yes, asking for an autopap to do a home titration study is a good idea if obstructive sleep apnea is your only diagnosis.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 am

As others have said, I can't see xanax as being a good combo with OSA, but it is often used to help people get to sleep. My ex gf went through a period where she had a bit of an anxiety issue, and was on it for a couple of years @ .25 up to 3X a day IIRC. It helped her quite a bit, and she came off of it with no issues, nor did she ever have any sides from it.

Some people have addictive personalities, and they will get hooked on anything/everything. If you are one of those types,....quit taking it now. If not, I would say it's between you and your doctor. If it's not even helping you sleep though, what's the point?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:46 am

I have found that alprazolam is still effective at half dosage, but without the morning carry-over.
Even a quarter tablet works for me, but I am already fairly mellow.
I only need alprazolam once or twice a year.