Why do some people still use CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Why do some people still use CPAP?

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:54 pm

EMPTY NOSE SYNDROME
look it up.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:29 pm

PhuqueU2 wrote:WOW! Paranoid much???
Not much. Maybe a little. But people who create alternate identities to do their dirty work for them may contribute to that little bit of suspicion.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:56 pm

OMG...33 posts already today and he's not done yet. He answers everyone. Pretty good for someone that just started with CPAP 6 months ago...NOT

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:58 pm

LSAT wrote:OMG...33 posts already today and he's not done yet. He answers everyone. Pretty good for someone that just started with CPAP 6 months ago...NOT
Mommy keeps feeding him. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:00 pm

LSAT wrote:OMG...33 posts already today and he's not done yet. He answers everyone. Pretty good for someone that just started with CPAP 6 months ago...NOT

Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm

kteague wrote:
PhuqueU2 wrote:WOW! Paranoid much???
Not much. Maybe a little. But people who create alternate identities to do their dirty work for them may contribute to that little bit of suspicion.
He's been here before...(sound out his name). He's one of those trolls that are afraid to let anyone know his real identity. This is his Altar Ego

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:07 pm

Lennyz wrote:sorry for like a rude/ignorant question, please be kind

what I mean is, is everyone not fit to be cured by surgery?

BTW I am new to CPAP and I feel like I can't live with it forever.

Again sorry for stupid/offensive question
Surgery is a solution for very few.
I pursued it simply for the benefit of reducing my xPAP treatment pressure. The evaluation concluded that there was no confidence that surgery would help; "could result in needing an increased pressure".

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:04 am

Lennyz wrote:sorry for like a rude/ignorant question, please be kind

what I mean is, is everyone not fit to be cured by surgery?

BTW I am new to CPAP and I feel like I can't live with it forever.

Again sorry for stupid/offensive question
The currently available surgery has a poor success rate, high cost, lots of pain and other problems, and a high rate of complications. IMHO, it's only a small step above quackery.

I DO have high hopes for some sort of surgical solution long term. I just don't think the current surgical procedures are good enough to consider for most people.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Btoeps74

Post by Btoeps74 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:07 am

Regrettably, I had the surgery. As mentioned, the pain was unreal and didn't subside for several weeks. One real issue I noticed is that before the surgery, I was able to use nasal pillows, but now am limited to full face masks as air just goes in through my nose and gets expelled straight out of my mouth.

AMK

Post by AMK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 am

Btoeps74 wrote:Regrettably, I had the surgery. As mentioned, the pain was unreal and didn't subside for several weeks. One real issue I noticed is that before the surgery, I was able to use nasal pillows, but now am limited to full face masks as air just goes in through my nose and gets expelled straight out of my mouth.
That is just horrible. So it didn't help your apnea at all?

Btoeps74

Post by Btoeps74 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:14 am

AMK wrote:
Btoeps74 wrote:Regrettably, I had the surgery. As mentioned, the pain was unreal and didn't subside for several weeks. One real issue I noticed is that before the surgery, I was able to use nasal pillows, but now am limited to full face masks as air just goes in through my nose and gets expelled straight out of my mouth.
That is just horrible. So it didn't help your apnea at all?
No unfortunately it didn't. I think at first maybe a little but not long. Luckily I don't experience some of the other things I've heard about like liquids coming out of my nose and such.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am

Here are my top ten reasons:

10. It is still considered by experts as the gold standard for effective long-term treatment of OSA.
9. Slightly pressurized air is about as harmless as any medical approach to anything.
8. It is noninvasive.
7. It is reversible.
6. It is adjustable.
5. The results can be accurately measured over time.
4. It is cheaper over the long-term compared to most other approaches.
3. It gives me something to talk about at cpaptalk.com.
2. It makes me feel like a record-setting test jet pilot every night.
1. Being alive (AND feeling alive) is a lot better than being dead (or feeling dead)--so I LOVE it!
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:33 am

jnk... wrote: 3. It gives me something to talk about at cpaptalk.com.
2. It makes me feel like a record-setting test jet pilot every night.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

ractar28

Post by ractar28 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 am

I had the surgery. There are drawbacks to the surgery itself. First, you can lose the ability to drink carbonated beverages. I've stood up with a mouth full of a drink... you know, last sip before you leave a restaurant, and had it come right out my nose. Funny, but a bit embarrassing. I did not have the carbonated beverage issue, but my surgeon did warn me of it. The surgery is HORRIBLY painful to recover from. For YEARS, I'd get a raw spot at the back of my palette. Now, when I get a head cold, I feel like crap, but sound completely normal. It doesn't help when trying to get sympathy, and since I'm a man, a cold is something that seems to require ICU (women just suck it up, men act like babies when they're sick).

I can't wear a nasal-only mask because my uvula is gone and the cpap pressure makes the air shoot out of my mouth as soon as I relax. Since I'm still wearing a cpap mask, I guess that tells you how the surgery went.

As for the cpap machine, make sure you have something that offers less resistance when exhaling. Respironics calls it "c-flex", but others have their own version. The one that I got through insurance was just a single, steady pressure and very hard to use -- so I didn't.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 am

My understanding is that most who get a palate surgery still eventually need to be on PAP down the road for good sleep. And I have also heard from some pros that using an auto effectively may become problematic for some who have had that kind of surgery, since the change in their anatomy may prevent some auto algorithms from detecting the changes in breathing quickly enough to prevent sleep-disturbing airway narrowing and closures deeper inside the airway. I have no firsthand knowledge of either of those points, though.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.