Does anyone give their mask a five star?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleeping Ugly

Re: Does anyone give their mask a five star?

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:40 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Even my best mask could use some improvement.
Maybe if I had a perfect face . . .
Hey, that's it! We've been going at this all wrong! We need to try to get a perfect face!
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 am

AMESS wrote:If so, please name your mask and reasons why. TY
Dreamwear Nasal Pillow 5 stars out of 10 stars

FlexFit FFM (-5) stars out of 10 stars

Amara View 1 star out of 10 stars
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 am

I'm very happy with my mask, a P10. I've used many masks, since diagnoses in 2002. This has been the very best - for me a 5! I have used it since it came out. And - yes - I "sleep like a baby" , almost every night, even with arthritis pain!
Again, I am disappointed that the first response, almost, to this post was so nasty! I don't care who the OP was! Oh well, sadly, - it's the nature of this forum.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:22 am

Hawthorne wrote:I'm very happy with my mask, a P10. I've used many masks, since diagnoses in 2002. This has been the very best - for me a 5! I have used it since it came out. And - yes - I "sleep like a baby" , almost every night, even with arthritis pain!
Again, I am disappointed that the first response, almost, to this post was so nasty! I don't care who the OP was! Oh well, sadly, - it's the nature of this forum.
Really though, there cannot be a "perfect CPAP mask". "Perfect CPAP mask" is an oxymoron.

It's a mask. It's not a natural part of your body. It can never be perfect. It will always be alien.

Rating them should be on a least awful scale, not a good, better, or best scale.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 am

You are correct, in that, no mask is perfect for everyone. This one is perfect for me, right now.
After all these years, a cpap mask seems like a natural part of my body, when i put it on to sleep. I would not sleep well, if at all, without it and my machine, after all these years. I would be very conscious that something was missing! The very few times I have had to sleep without it have made for a miserable night and, an even more miserable next day!!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:45 am

Hawthorne wrote:You are correct, in that, no mask is perfect for everyone. This one is perfect for me, right now.
After all these years, a cpap mask seems like a natural part of my body, when i put it on to sleep. I would not sleep well, if at all, without it and my machine, after all these years. I would be very conscious that something was missing! The very few times I have had to sleep without it have made for a miserable night and, an even more miserable next day!!
I'm glad it's working well for you.

If some miracle doesn't happen in the next several weeks, I'm going to use all my CPAP masks for skeet practice....

Time for cup of coffee #5 >.<

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 am

I've been using a large Forma since 2011 and it's the perfect mask for me. I know a lot of people hate the the Forma but it works for me and that's all that counts. I've tried a lot of masks and I always come back to the Forma. People will say if it's perfect for you why try other mask, cause that's the nature of the the beast were always looking for something better.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

duluth_trader

Post by duluth_trader » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:41 am

MaxINTJ wrote:It's not a natural part of your body. It can never be perfect. It will always be alien.
Yes. Just like underwear.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:51 am

duluth_trader wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:It's not a natural part of your body. It can never be perfect. It will always be alien.
Yes. Just like underwear.
Yes, just like underwear. If it's totally uncomfortable or prevents you putting pants on, it's never ever going to be a 5.

My underwear does not interfere with anything I do - CPAP masks do.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 am

I think for most of us it's more a matter of genetic luck. Most mask manufacturers are going to be designing their masks based on common faces. Also they're all perfectly semetric. Most of us have lot's of little differences that may help or hinder getting a good fit. As technology improves the types of interfaces change and we see more and more masks that can adjust better to our faces.

Like with the latest option with the new air 20 that uses an extra layer of memory foam. I can imagine later down the road well see newer ideas and technology that could help with fit. Maybe even a nanotech gell that could remold it self to our faces for a custom fit.

As Pugsy said there is no perfect mask. At least not yet. Do your best to find the best mask for you. Then with all the knowledge you gained from that initial search keep in mind when you see new masks introduced. Don't obsess and keep buying masks but if you think there is a chance to improve on what you have, try it and if it doesn't work as well as what you have now you can send it back.

I think that there people out there who "fit the mold" who have faces that closely match the basic structure that manufacturers build to. Those are the ones who find a mask quickly or who took to cpap like a duck to water. But there plenty of people who are different. Like with every thing in life.

Try and find something that you can live with. Provided it works. Then once you have that if you don't love it start a calm and calculated search for something better. Take notes on fit and where it leaks. What worked and what didn't and why.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find something even better and maybe you won't. But make sure what you have now at least can treat you.

Wish you well in your search.

Rest well.

Gryphon

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 am

[quote="Gryphon"Try and find something that you can live with. Provided it works. Then once you have that if you don't love it start a calm and calculated search for something better. Take notes on fit and where it leaks. What worked and what didn't and why.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find something even better and maybe you won't. But make sure what you have now at least can treat you.
[/quote]

And if you find a mask that is relatively comfortable and doesn't leak, but doesn't work for you anyway?

For me, there are ZERO other masks to try. My first choice was the best choice - and the only choice.It just doesn't work for me.

Everything else SUCKS. I could try every single mask ever made and none of them would fit better than the Dreamwear, so I'm not even going to look.

The Flexfit, Amara View, and 2x Dreamwear will become skeet targets barring an unforeseen miracle.

That will be the best CPAP experience I've ever had.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 am

Not to sound insensitive but aside from the masks you listed which ones have you tried?

There hybrid masks, total face masks, fabric masks with no rigid parts, oral masks, etc....

Do you know that you need mouth coverage? This would rule out all the nose only based systems. But would still leave you with hybrid and cloth and total face options along with many FF masks.

I remember the pictures posted in this forum and elsware when the mask choices were very limited of all sorts of interesting tricks modifying headgear or inventing new things to modify what they had. Some of those odd ideas even influenced the manufacture to change or modify their designs. Necessity is the mother of invention. Everyone is unique some of us have an easier time with this and it's not all in our heads. Sometimes there is a physical difference or sleep position issue that makes things more difficult.

All I can offer is moral support during the struggle and ideas if you share what you've done so far, what didn't work and what your experience was like. IE: leak locations etc...

I remember from your earlier posts that you sleep on your stomach or side because of back issues. I know that the all fabric masks [although I don't have any direct experience with them] allow you to jam your face into the pillow more the the other more rigid options. Maybe that would be a possibility. Sounds like you need something more flexible that doesn't stick out so far.

Gryphon

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Gryphon wrote:Not to sound insensitive but aside from the masks you listed which ones have you tried?

There hybrid masks, total face masks, fabric masks with no rigid parts, oral masks, etc....

Do you know that you need mouth coverage? This would rule out all the nose only based systems. But would still leave you with hybrid and cloth and total face options along with many FF masks.

I remember the pictures posted in this forum and elsware when the mask choices were very limited of all sorts of interesting tricks modifying headgear or inventing new things to modify what they had. Some of those odd ideas even influenced the manufacture to change or modify their designs. Necessity is the mother of invention. Everyone is unique some of us have an easier time with this and it's not all in our heads. Sometimes there is a physical difference or sleep position issue that makes things more difficult.

All I can offer is moral support during the struggle and ideas if you share what you've done so far, what didn't work and what your experience was like. IE: leak locations etc...

I remember from your earlier posts that you sleep on your stomach or side because of back issues. I know that the all fabric masks [although I don't have any direct experience with them] allow you to jam your face into the pillow more the the other more rigid options. Maybe that would be a possibility. Sounds like you need something more flexible that doesn't stick out so far.

Gryphon
The masks listed are the ones I have tried. The only one I can sleep decently with is the Dreamwear, but my mouth blows open, dries out my mouth, and annoys the crap out of my wife - so I don't really sleep well some of the night - like when she shoves me.

The only cloth one I found is the SleepWeaver Anew, and it sticks out AT LEAST as far as the Amara View - maybe even further. And it still has the hose at the front so it can get in the way no matter how I sleep.