How does an ASV work?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: How does an ASV work?

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Oh...PR thinks that the ResMed algorithm is "better" because it is more responsive...or more quick to react.
I have owned both the Respironics 960 and the ResMed S9 Adapt....so both ASV machines and the ResMed is quicker to react and I was able to use less pressure starting out the night (and all night) with the ResMed because of its faster/quicker response.
It's simply more aggressive....but that's not to say that the Respironics algorithm is crap...it's not.
And I could see where some people might do better with taking things a bit slower.

PR just likes the more aggressive approach...and it suits his needs better so he likes ResMeds the best.
So do I for that matter but I can actually use both brands....I just like the more aggressive algorithm a little better myself but the end result or goal for both brands...each meets their goals. They just go about it in a little different manner.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:37 am

Pugsy wrote:PR just likes the more aggressive approach...and it suits his needs better so he likes ResMeds the best.
Exactly, I've seen SO many data reports from people who're having problems sleeping, not getting rest, clearly disturbed breathing, and the respironics machines are just sitting there, sucking their thumbs, not helping. All in the name of "being less disturbing"? I call it "not being as advanced."

Also: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99737&p=927976#p927976

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:02 am

xxyzx wrote: the ASV is just a bipap with a back up rate in case you stop breathing due to centrals (snip)

ASV self titrates
the machine is not that complicated
No. It is not. It does not self-titrate. And yes, it is a complex machine.

Mine was set incorrectly at first. It did not correct itself. There are a number of combinations which can be utilized depending on what is being treated.

The simplest setting is from EPAPMin (Exhalation pressure minimum) to EPAPMax (Exhalation Pressure Maximum) which gives a range of exhalation pressures, depending on what is required. Sitting on top of that range is PSMin and PSMax, (Pressure Support Minimum and Maximum) which creates a range of inhalation pressures.

There is also auto-backup, timed backup, breaths per minute, tidal, minimum vent -- this is taken from the set-up menu on my 960.

It is not "just" a bipap with a back-up rate.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:12 am

palerider wrote:
mangos21 wrote:also, any difference between respironics ASVs and resmed ASVs? Krakow seems to exclusively rx resmed's
because they're better.
I think I would have to disagree with you on that, Palerider.

I've used three different Respironics ASVs. The original, which had a setting just for EPAP and then a Min and MaxIPAP. My 960, which allows for a range of EPAP, plus pressure support on top of that range to give a range of IPAP, and the Dreamstation ASV.

I will note that there were changes in the algorithms between my original Beastie and the 960 -- I needed a slightly higher EPAP on it, so set a range. I also noted a difference between the 960 and the Dreamstation -- my 960 had the 2.xx software. When I got it back from Accurate Biomed, they'd upgraded it to the latest software, and there was no significant difference between it and the Dreamstation.

I will acknowledge that I have not had the opportunity to try a Resmed ASV. After all, if what you have works, and works well, why try to fix what ain't broken?

So I don't know if it is, indeed, "better" than a Respironics. But my Respironics machines have done well by me for nine years.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Kiralynx wrote:
palerider wrote:
mangos21 wrote:also, any difference between respironics ASVs and resmed ASVs? Krakow seems to exclusively rx resmed's
because they're better.
I think I would have to disagree with you on that, Palerider. ....I will acknowledge that I have not had the opportunity to try a Resmed ASV. After all, if what you have works, and works well, why try to fix what ain't broken?

So I don't know if it is, indeed, "better" than a Respironics. But my Respironics machines have done well by me for nine years.
The resmeds that I've taken apart are built better than the respironics I've taken apart, there are many reports of build quality failures in the respironics system one line. (burning humidifier connections, etc).

Resmed invented the ASV, and, (I believe) has a better algorithm that works better for more people.

Does that mean that you can't be very well served by your respironics? of course not. And, like you say, if it's working fine for you, why change?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:54 am

Kiralynx wrote:
palerider wrote:
because they're better.
I think I would have to disagree with you on that, Palerider.

I've used three different Respironics ASVs. The original, which had a setting just for EPAP and then a Min and MaxIPAP. My 960, which allows for a range of EPAP, plus pressure support on top of that range to give a range of IPAP, and the Dreamstation ASV.

I will note that there were changes in the algorithms between my original Beastie and the 960 -- I needed a slightly higher EPAP on it, so set a range. I also noted a difference between the 960 and the Dreamstation -- my 960 had the 2.xx software. When I got it back from Accurate Biomed, they'd upgraded it to the latest software, and there was no significant difference between it and the Dreamstation.

I will acknowledge that I have not had the opportunity to try a Resmed ASV. After all, if what you have works, and works well, why try to fix what ain't broken?

Kiralynx and Pugsy,

I’ve been using the Respironics BiPAP autoSV Advanced for quite a while.

I have been wondering if I am missing out on any BiPAP ASV technological advances with with the Dreamstation machine. It looks like you’ll have had the opportunity to try them both out. Do you prefer the Dreamstation BiPAP ASV over the older Respironics autoSV Advanced machine?

Thank you,
TheWino
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 am

Thewino wrote: I have been wondering if I am missing out on any BiPAP ASV technological advances with with the Dreamstation machine. It looks like you’ll have had the opportunity to try them both out. Do you prefer the Dreamstation BiPAP ASV over the older Respironics autoSV Advanced machine?
I probably won't be having the opportunity to try the new DreamStation ASV to compare it to the System One 960 ASV. Sorry.
From what I have read the way the Respironics ASV works didn't change though. Just some minor cosmetic changes along with a couple more minor settings changes with humidifier humidity selection choices. I don't know that these minor changes alone would be enough to impact the therapy itself.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bdz

Post by bdz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:45 pm

I have centrals and do I ever love it when I feel my ASV kick in if my breathing hesitates. Usually I don't feel it at all, only if I have a major hesitation in my breathing

Additional Comments: Luckily the Oracle is not flimsy. Bought several. Thanks to JDS74, I have lots of inner flaps.
Peace begins with each of us as individuals

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:53 am

Thewino wrote:I’ve been using the Respironics BiPAP autoSV Advanced for quite a while.

I have been wondering if I am missing out on any BiPAP ASV technological advances with with the Dreamstation machine. It looks like you’ll have had the opportunity to try them both out. Do you prefer the Dreamstation BiPAP ASV over the older Respironics autoSV Advanced machine?
To the best of my knowledge, neither Respironics or Resmed changed the operating parameters of their ASV machines between the current and previous models... just the shape.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 am

palerider wrote:To the best of my knowledge, neither Respironics or Resmed changed the operating parameters of their ASV machines between the current and previous models... just the shape.
That's my thoughts also.
The basic guts of how the machines go about their business (the working algorithms) didn't change...just the packaging and a few very minor comfort type of options.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Thewino wrote:
Kiralynx and Pugsy,

I’ve been using the Respironics BiPAP autoSV Advanced for quite a while.

Thank you,
TheWino
Given that my 960 ended on the floor in a motel, I had occasion to go back to my old Beastie. Which was just an ASV, not an ASV Advanced. I did notice a difference in the depth of breath I could take -- the 960 was smoother than the old one. When I got the Dreamstation, I noticed that the algorithm was much smoother than I remembered from my 960. However, my 960's software version was the 2.xx, and when I got it back with the 3.xx software update, I couldn't really tell any difference between the two.

So I don't know whether to suggest you go to the Dreamstation or not. I can tell you that Sleepyhead does not work with the Dreamstation ASV, but does work with the 960, if that's a factor in your consideration.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5