sleep vs wake breathing and effect of hypops ? question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: sleep vs wake breathing and effect of hypops ? question

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:27 pm

I am confused. What exactly are you speaking about?

I asked about your 18 second hypopnea - not what you believe you see - I asked about the actual data! I know how sleepyhead works and displays hypopneas - I was only interested what ResScan (that is the software from ResMed - not the company or other stuff) shows for that very hypopnea - not another one - that one especially.

What your ASV does when you roll over is normal behavior for it - it is actually supposed to do exactly that. Why it does that can be seen in the minute ventilation graph - or precisely the red line (or whatever color you picked) which reads something like: targeted MV.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 pm

So, I looked at my hypopneas in SH and ResScan. In SleepyHead, the durations ranged from 17 to 36 seconds. As guest noted, ResScan does not display or indicate duration. However, I suppose it is possible ResMed provides the duration as part of the detailed data exported. After all, they must compute it to see that it meets the 10 sec duration scoring criteria.
By examining ResScan reports, ResMed appears to flag apneas at the end of the event. Though not as easy to discern, it appears that hypopneas, likewise, are flagged at event end.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 pm

S9 is giving a length for hypopneas.

However - as stated - for the AirSense 10 I have never heard of anyone seeing something different than exactly 10 seconds in SH - which is a stron indication for: the AirSense 10 no longer cares for the length of a hypopnea.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Guest wrote:S9 is giving a length for hypopneas.
Not necessarily, SH could be computing the duration based on flow.
Guest wrote:However - as stated - for the AirSense 10 I have never heard of anyone seeing something different than exactly 10 seconds in SH - which is a stron indication for: the AirSense 10 no longer cares for the length of a hypopnea.
Or, it could be a bug in SleepyHead. I believe Mark was still working on incorporating the Airsense models when he quit. Palerider might know.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:05 am

actually I was not guessing on the SH part - I was simply telling.
.. but there is a very funny comment in the code on the part where the hyopopneas from ResMed are "read".

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:19 am

Interesting, Guest. You should have made it more clear from the start that you could read and understand the SleepyHead code.
From your comments, I take it that you 'know" the S9 and previous exported the duration of hypopneas, but you "think" ResMed no longer does for AirsSense models. Is that correct?

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 am

well, I wasn't aware that reading the code is a big deal - it's open source - anyone can read it and it's written in C++ - for coders that is basically like plain english (doesn't matter what you do or where you come from - everyone understands C at least to the level of understanding what it does or is meant to do)

I have seen a length (other than 10 seconds) for hypopneas on different models from the ResMed S9 series. So I "believe" whatever SH is doing there is correct.
So far I have never seen a hypopnea on any model of the AirSense 10 series that was not exactly 10 seconds long. Or in other words: on the SD-card there was always a 0 (zero) after a hypopnea - which indicates the durates for any other event. (like in: I actually looked at the raw-data of 3 to 5 AirSense 10 SD-Cards)
BTW: it is the same for RERAs - where it is quite unusual to last exactly 10 seconds!

Since ResScan is not showing the duration for RERAs or hypopneas for the AirSense 10 series at all, it lead me to believe that ResMed does no longer care for the duration (or does not trust its algorithm enough).

They do not respond to "hypopneas" anyway - so why bother? - made perfect sense to me. (again: AirSense 10 - I do not know and do not care how the S9 reacts)
(although calling it 'just' hypopnea itself is more like blasphemy - they only score obstructive hypopneas - which is like a very little percentage of the hypopneas - at least for me of course YMMV)

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:59 am

Guest, thanks for that.
I do question this comment, however.
Guest wrote:Since ResScan is not showing the duration for RERAs or hypopneas for the AirSense 10 series at all, it lead me to believe that ResMed does no longer care for the duration (or does not trust its algorithm enough).
To the best of my knowledge, ResScan does not show the duration of hypopneas for the S9, either. So there has been no change in ResScan reporting of hypopneas with the AirsSense models.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 am

thanks for the hint regarding the S9 and ResScan.

I am really biased towards / against ResMed - but they simply suck at presenting data or storing it in the first place.
However they do achieve great treatment - but if your problem is not only defined by flowlimitations you are stuck with having the greatest AHI (in their terms of events - which is virtually nothing!) but not feeling it.

Just one night on a different machine (even philips would be enough in most cases) would make the event chart explode. ... at least they have the For-Her - it's a start in the right direction - or the first step away from: flowlimitations are everything that matters + take the needed pressure and put a couple cmH2O on top of that and push it out to the patient.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:38 am

good morning sunshine! If you are late, at least stay quiet and try to keep up. (or read what happened in the meantime)

I was talking about AirSense 10 not AirCurve 10.
Your machine does something completely different to a CPAP. .. you have already been told about the targeted minute ventilation.

Any chance about actual data on the 18 second hypopnea? .. I tend to write that off as either user-error or imagination.
A Picture with the hypopnea in the middle (with a mouse-over so that we can see that value of 18) and zoomed to 2 or 3 minutes in the view would be enough as a first step.

(I did not understand what you tried to ask with python and imgur and so on - maybe you can make an actual question out of that?)

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 am

Guest, if you haven't seen it yet, you may be interested in AirView, Resmed's remote patient management system compatible with AirSense and AirCurve.

Overview

Scoring Guide

Report Guide

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 pm

xxyzx wrote:the actual question was where is the source code for the copy of SH that i am running
i wondered what it was written in and speculated python or c++
Is this question for REAL?
I can not post links - but that actually does not matter in this case. Where did you got - whatever you call "SleepyHead" - from? - please provide an actual link.
If you would have the real SleepyHead there would be simply no way you do not know where to get the source from - besides the fact that the link to the most current repository is just some inches below the actual download.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:46 pm

I can post links but I won't. Took me just a millisecond to go find the source code link...alphabet child isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is and I have no desire to enlighten him since he is such a non pleasant person to interact with.
But I have my doubts as to his ability to do anything with the code anyway. I think all blow and no go.

Guest wrote:
xxyzx wrote:the actual question was where is the source code for the copy of SH that i am running
I can not post links - but that actually does not matter in this case. Where did you got - whatever you call "SleepyHead" - from? - please provide an actual link.
If you would have the real SleepyHead there would be simply no way you do not know where to get the source from - besides the fact that the link to the most current repository is just some inches below the actual download.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Pugsy wrote:I can post links but I won't. Took me just a millisecond to go find the source code link...alphabet child isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is and I have no desire to enlighten him since he is such a non pleasant person to interact with.
But I have my doubts as to his ability to do anything with the code anyway. I think all blow and no go.

Guest wrote:

I had the same experience last time he asked, took me a minute to find, and I also had no desire to help him. He accused me of preventing the entire user base of his programming expertise. I think I did a favor.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 pm

xxyzx wrote: if i have too then i will fix it
and like i said in such case i will not provide the fixes to others who had no interest in helping me
interesting understanding of the GPL (that is the license of sleepyhead)

go to the official download page. get the real sleepyhead and right below it is the link to the current repository.
If you have the real sleepyhead, the older repository is linked on nearly every page if not you got yourself a virus.