cheaper version of this?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nineteencats

cheaper version of this?

Post by nineteencats » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:50 am

I need a chin strap that also goes across my mouth to keep my lips closed. The closest thing I could find was this:

http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/?page_id=2

Anyone seen something like it for less than FIFTY-NINE DOLLARS?

Please note, I'm not asking for a critique of this thing. I've rigged several dogleg versions of my own over the last few months, and figured out that this is what I need. I just can't see paying sixty bucks for it. If it comes down to it, I could make the thing myself for $10 in materials and a couple hours of my time, but I'm hoping there's something in the under-$30 range somewhere that I just haven't found yet.

Thanks!

Julie

Re: cheaper version of this?

Post by Julie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:03 am

Try a 2" piece of 3M micropore tape (any pharmacy) horizontally across your lips... comes off fairly painlessly and many here use it - or blue painters' tape.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am

For $59, the ultimate chin strap can be expected to be used for a fairly long time.
Once it finally wears out, you could use your sewing skills to DIY, using it for your pattern.
Or just order another--many say they are well worth the cost.
How much would you pay for a pillow? Matteress?
Just learn to say to yourself, " I am worth it."
Because you ARE.

nineteencats

Post by nineteencats » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Julie wrote:Try a 2" piece of 3M micropore tape (any pharmacy) horizontally across your lips... comes off fairly painlessly and many here use it - or blue painters' tape.
Tried it. No worky. Thanks for playing.

nineteencats

Post by nineteencats » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:09 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:For $59, the ultimate chin strap can be expected to be used for a fairly long time.
Once it finally wears out, you could use your sewing skills to DIY, using it for your pattern.
Because you ARE.
Sigh. You speak truth, chunky. I wish I had the $60. Guess it will have to wait.

nineteencats

Post by nineteencats » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:10 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:For $59, the ultimate chin strap can be expected to be used for a fairly long time.
Because you ARE.
Also, just curious, who are these many who say they are well worth the cost? Here on this forum? Would not mind seeing some reviews of the thing before I go sell my ass down on the corner.

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Can't remember which forum I saw this on, but someone used a headband from a dollar store, wore it across the mouth and cut slits in the sides to fit it over the ears. Also saw where someone did something similar, but hooked the headband to the mask frame to keep it from slipping. I have not tried this myself.
Edit: Jay Aitschee describes using the headband here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112758#p1086296
Last edited by Bertha deBlues on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:50 pm

User TedVpap uses it.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Bertha deBlues wrote:Can't remember which forum I saw this on, but someone used a headband from a dollar store, wore it across the mouth and cut slits in the sides to fit it over the ears. Also saw where someone did something similar, but hooked the headband to the mask frame to keep it from slipping. I have not tried this myself.
Edit: Jay Aitschee describes using the headband here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112758#p1086296
hey, nineteencats! i use the above and highly recommend it. scunci brand is what i use. cheap enough to be tossed BUT also, they can be washed and dried to get some of their spring back.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Chinstraps/mufflers aside, I would consider using a chin up strip.
Tape is much less confining than a "face quilt".
The chin up strips come in a "U" or boomerang shape, which allows mouth breathing,
but makes it awkward enough to eliminate it full time.
I made my own out of wide painter tape.

nineteencats

Post by nineteencats » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:25 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Chinstraps/mufflers aside, I would consider using a chin up strip.
Tape is much less confining than a "face quilt".
The chin up strips come in a "U" or boomerang shape, which allows mouth breathing,
but makes it awkward enough to eliminate it full time.
I made my own out of wide painter tape.
The problems I had with tape were twofold:

1. Since I use my CPAP every night, I have to rip the tape off my lips every morning. After a couple of days my lips were red and sore, as was the skin all around my mouth where the tape adhered.

2. I have acne-prone skin, and even after trying several different brands / types of surgical tape, I would break out wherever the tape stuck to my skin.

These chin up strap thingys look like they would present the same problem(s).

Right now I'm using a variation on the stretchy headband thing -- I have an old pair of Spanx leggings that was destined for the goodwill pile before I had my moment of genius. I cut off a section of the leg that's wide enough to cover the whole bottom of my face, then cut a hole in the middle of the back to thread my hair thru to keep it in place while I put my chin strap on, then the mask goes on. This seems to work tolerably well in terms of keeping me from leaking anywhere during the night; my only complaint is that I now have new and different creases in my face when I wake up, and I'm at an age now where my skin doesn't just spring back into shape. Any Ladies of a Certain Age on here with ideas on how to deal with that? Even a long shower or bath won't get rid of them. Maybe I should just get one of these https://tinyurl.com/ycs2g4ub and be done with it!

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 pm

If you use the 'right' tape it shouldn't hurt at all... and chin straps don't keep your lips closed.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 pm

nineteencats wrote: Maybe I should just get one of these https://tinyurl.com/ycs2g4ub and be done with it!

That is kinda HOT ( I assume it's great as long as the room is freezing? )
Does it come with instructions?
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:10 am

Julie wrote:If you use the 'right' tape it shouldn't hurt at all... and chin straps don't keep your lips closed.
For some people there is no "right" tape. I have tried medical (mircopore I think) and painters tape and they do not stick worth a crap. I suppose I could go the Gorilla tape route but I really don't want to be "waxing" my face every morning.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

nineteencats

Post by nineteencats » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Julie wrote:If you use the 'right' tape it shouldn't hurt at all... and chin straps don't keep your lips closed.
*sigh*

Did you even read the original post?