Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
xxyzx

Re: Worst night yet

Postby xxyzx on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:21 pm

MoodyMolly wrote:
Hopeful50 wrote:I don't know about Dreamstation, but with the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset that I use, you need to tell the machine which kind of mask you-re using - FFM, Nasal, or Nasal Pillows. I wonder if that would make a difference for you?

It does have a setting for mask type, but I'm not sure what it means. It has a mask setting of 1-5, the manual says it adjusts the level of air pressure relief based on the specific Philips Respironics mask. The DME just skipped over the mask setting, leaving it turned off. She didn't say anything about it. Maybe it's because I'm not using a Philips mask, and the mask setting is brand specific?

=====

then the mask package should have said the number to use
or there should be a table in the user guide
else google for your mask and the setting nr.
IF I ever say anything incorrect somebody will post true facts to prove it. But when my posts are accurate they will always attack me personally. You can decide whether my post is correct or not by looking at which they did. [color=#FF00FF]

Bertha deBlues

Postby Bertha deBlues on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:25 pm

xxyzx wrote:
MoodyMolly wrote:
Hopeful50 wrote:I don't know about Dreamstation, but with the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset that I use, you need to tell the machine which kind of mask you-re using - FFM, Nasal, or Nasal Pillows. I wonder if that would make a difference for you?

It does have a setting for mask type, but I'm not sure what it means. It has a mask setting of 1-5, the manual says it adjusts the level of air pressure relief based on the specific Philips Respironics mask. The DME just skipped over the mask setting, leaving it turned off. She didn't say anything about it. Maybe it's because I'm not using a Philips mask, and the mask setting is brand specific?

=====

P10 nasal pillows are made by Resmed. The Resmed packaging will not tell you which setting to use for a Dreamstation.

The Dreamstation, made by Philips Respironics, will not tell you which setting to use for a Resmed product.

I have used Nuance Pro nasal pillows, made by PR, and they are labeled X2 for use with a Dreamstation, so that's what I use for my Resmed P10 nasal pillows.
Last edited by Bertha deBlues on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Pugsy

Postby Pugsy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Mask Resistance setting on a Respironics machine is not the same thing as the mask type selection on the ResMed machine.

For non Respironics masks you can set it to 0 which is off or try to find a Respironics mask with same resistance as the ResMed....and resistance is NOT the same thing as vent rate.

SleepyHead defaults to a ResMed leak threshold number and it doesn't work so great for a Respironics machine. Go to Preferences/CPAP tab and adjust the 24 L/min threshold to something more in line with a Respironics threshold. Maybe around 60 L/min. Respironics never gives us an exact threshold number because the threshold varies with the mask and the pressure but 60 L/min should get you close.
Making this change will correct the statistic likely telling you that you are having a lot of leaks but you really aren't.

And yes, some people who use a full face mask end up needing more pressure to get the job done than they might need with a nasal mask.
Not everyone of course but enough to know it happens fairly often.

Your minimum pressure isn't sufficient to get to where the machine needs to go in a timely manner to better hold the airway open.
Your AHI is likely going to remain high until your pressure settings are more optimally adjusted and it's the minimum pressure that is the most critical pressure setting.

Additional Comments: Backups..AirCurve 10 ST, S9 Adapt, PR S1 Bipap #760

xxyzx

Postby xxyzx on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Bertha deBlues wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
MoodyMolly wrote:

=====

P10 nasal pillows are made by Resmed. The Resmed packaging will not tell you which setting to use for a Dreamstation.

The Dreamstation, made by Philips Respironics, will not tell you which setting to use for a Resmed product.

I have used Nuance Pro nasal pillows, made by PR, and they are labeled X2 for use with a Dreamstation, so that's what I use for my Resmed P10 nasal pillows.

=======

then pick the closest mask type and use that number
IF I ever say anything incorrect somebody will post true facts to prove it. But when my posts are accurate they will always attack me personally. You can decide whether my post is correct or not by looking at which they did. [color=#FF00FF]

xxyzx

Postby xxyzx on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Pugsy wrote:Mask Resistance setting on a Respironics machine is not the same thing as the mask type selection on the ResMed machine.

For non Respironics masks you can set it to 0 which is off or try to find a Respironics mask with same resistance as the ResMed....and resistance is NOT the same thing as vent rate.

SleepyHead defaults to a ResMed leak threshold number and it doesn't work so great for a Respironics machine. Go to Preferences/CPAP tab and adjust the 24 L/min threshold to something more in line with a Respironics threshold. Maybe around 60 L/min. Respironics never gives us an exact threshold number because the threshold varies with the mask and the pressure but 60 L/min should get you close.
Making this change will correct the statistic likely telling you that you are having a lot of leaks but you really aren't.

And yes, some people who use a full face mask end up needing more pressure to get the job done than they might need with a nasal mask.
Not everyone of course but enough to know it happens fairly often.

Your minimum pressure isn't sufficient to get to where the machine needs to go in a timely manner to better hold the airway open.
Your AHI is likely going to remain high until your pressure settings are more optimally adjusted and it's the minimum pressure that is the most critical pressure setting.

===========

isnt the airway supposed to be kept open at the lowest epap value ?

has nothing to do with how fast the machine is as the minimum pressure is enough to keep the airway open when set properly

Bertha deBlues

Postby Bertha deBlues on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:44 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Bertha deBlues wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
MoodyMolly wrote:

=====

=======

then pick the closest mask type and use that number

That is exactly what I said. The closest mask type is X2.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Pugsy

Postby Pugsy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:49 pm

xxyzx wrote:has nothing to do with how fast the machine is as the minimum pressure is enough to keep the airway open when set properly

It has everything to do with it if the minimum is too low and it takes too long to get to where it needs to be to hold the airway open.
That's why wide open settings of 4 to 20 in apap mode doesn't always work so great.
Works fine if a person only needs maybe 8 or 9 cm to prevent the airway from collapsing but doesn't work so great if 14 cm is needed.
They can't go from 6 cm to 14 cm in the blink of an eye.

xxyzx

Postby xxyzx on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Pugsy wrote:
xxyzx wrote:has nothing to do with how fast the machine is as the minimum pressure is enough to keep the airway open when set properly

It has everything to do with it if the minimum is too low and it takes too long to get to where it needs to be to hold the airway open.
That's why wide open settings of 4 to 20 in apap mode doesn't always work so great.
Works fine if a person only needs maybe 8 or 9 cm to prevent the airway from collapsing but doesn't work so great if 14 cm is needed.
They can't go from 6 cm to 14 cm in the blink of an eye.

========

if you need 8 to keep the airway open then it should be set 8-20 never lower than 8 for epapmin
the minimum is supposed to be large enough to keep it open
not do a soso job and hope a big blast of air will open it again

Pugsy

Postby Pugsy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Yeah well....her doc has the minimum set too low and that's the problem and taking his own sweet time increasing it.

MoodyMolly

Postby MoodyMolly on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Bertha deBlues wrote:
MoodyMolly wrote:

I also use a P10 nasal pillow with a Dreamstation CPAP. Nasal pillows are X2 resistance (or you can turn it off), which you access from the My Setup menu.

As for changing the pressure: Press the round white button on the front to turn on the display, then press and hold the round white button and the ramp button at the same time until the display changes to the clinician's menu. From there, you can change things like pressure. Turn the round button to select what to change, then press the button, which allows you to make adjustments up or down. Turn the round button to the desired setting, then press the round button to set the change. I hope this helps.

Awesome! Thank you!! Do you think my doctor will get mad at me for changing the settings on my own? I'm sure he'll see the change when I bring in my sd card to my one month follow up appt. :D

MoodyMolly

Postby MoodyMolly on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Pugsy wrote:Yeah well....her doc has the minimum set too low and that's the problem and taking his own sweet time increasing it.

Yeah, exaclty... :x He hasn't gotten back to me after I sent him a message asking to increase the minimum 5 days ago. I'm thinking about just increasing it myself, but I wonder what he would say at my follow up appt when he sees the data from the machine saying it's higher than he prescribed it?! :oops:

Julie

Postby Julie on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Relax, we all change our settings and if your MD is so antiquated and egotistical, change doctors! You want to be in control of your therapy, just as young children calibrate their blood sugars in diabetes, and the worst thing you could do is stay ignorant and incapable of taking care of your OSA.

Bertha deBlues

Postby Bertha deBlues on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:39 pm

MoodyMolly wrote:
Bertha deBlues wrote:
MoodyMolly wrote:

I also use a P10 nasal pillow with a Dreamstation CPAP. Nasal pillows are X2 resistance (or you can turn it off), which you access from the My Setup menu.

As for changing the pressure: Press the round white button on the front to turn on the display, then press and hold the round white button and the ramp button at the same time until the display changes to the clinician's menu. From there, you can change things like pressure. Turn the round button to select what to change, then press the button, which allows you to make adjustments up or down. Turn the round button to the desired setting, then press the round button to set the change. I hope this helps.

Awesome! Thank you!! Do you think my doctor will get mad at me for changing the settings on my own? I'm sure he'll see the change when I bring in my sd card to my one month follow up appt. :D

Don't know the answer to that one, but my doctor was okay with it after I showed him a few Sleepyhead printouts. He seemed impressed that I took the initiative and wanted to be actively involved.

I didn't even realize I could change the settings myself until I found help online, and by that time the rental period for my machine was over and I owned it free and clear. I then decided that if it was mine, I was allowed to make changes.

Julie

Postby Julie on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Last edited by Julie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

xxyzx

Postby xxyzx on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 pm

MoodyMolly wrote:
Bertha deBlues wrote:
MoodyMolly wrote:

======

i would hope if you show him the before and after data from sleepyhead he will not be upset
especially when the newer one has a lower AHI etc

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)