Dentist: I know you guys understand

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
snuginarug

Dentist: I know you guys understand

Post by snuginarug » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:56 am

I know you guys will understand how awful going to the dentist can be if they ignore the fact that you have sleep apnea and you end up suffocating the entire time. GOOD NEWS! I talked to my dentist before he started and he was really nice and very accommodating and helpful. He tipped my chair back the minimum required and let me take breaks. He was just great about it. And I know you guys will understand my extreme relief and happiness. Hooray!

If you go to the dentist and have trouble breathing, tell them about your apnea. Don't suffer in silence!

Marillion

Re: Dentist: I know you guys understand

Post by Marillion » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:17 am

Are you sleeping when you are in the dentist's chair? Sleep Apnea only occurs when you are fully asleep...

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 am

Marillion wrote:Are you sleeping when you are in the dentist's chair? Sleep Apnea only occurs when you are fully asleep...
+1 That's why it's called sleep apnea.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:10 am

Nitrous Oxide cures all my dental problems!!

snuginarug

Post by snuginarug » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:12 am

You know, I thought about that. I guess technically this would be "dentist chair apnea." The same thing that makes my throat collapse and causes apnea incidents at night while sleeping also makes my throat close up when I am tipped back and told to hold my mouth open. My tongue obstructs my breathing. So I will, from here on out, refer to it as "dentist chair apnea."

EDIT: Dentist, who knows more about this than I do, says this is common among those with sleep apnea. He's seen it before.

Marillion

Post by Marillion » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:40 am

This sounds more like anxiety to me. But it seems like you and your dentist have found a way to cope with it, so that is good.

snuginarug

Post by snuginarug » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Well, actually, for a while I thought it was anxiety too, just assumed it was. But I paid close attention during a really bad episode when they actually had my feet higher than my head. It was my tongue blocking my throat making breathing impossible. It was not anxiety. And I don't know why my dentist would say that is common if it is not actually happening for me. Like I said, my dentist knows more about this than I do, and he was fully convinced, due to his past experience with other sleep apnea sufferers, that this was more than simple anxiety but an actual problem. So, no, it wasn't anxiety. But my dentist and I did find a way to work around it, mainly by not tipping me upside down.

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:32 pm

I know exactly what you are talking about because I can shut off my own breathing by tilting my head too far back. So, having your air reduced or non-existent is SCARY! I had to ask before my eye surgery how far back I was going to be laying. They totally understood and showed me before-hand how far back I would be titled in the chair. They were well aware that I had sleep apnea. Maybe it's not technically "sleep" apnea, but it's a reduction in air!
Last edited by Sleeping Ugly on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Guest wrote:Nitrous Oxide cures all my dental problems!!

+1 on the NO. Had two crowns done last week. I hate going to the dentist and NO makes it bearable. No problems with not being able to breath. Never said anything to the dentist about sleep apnea because I knew I wouldn't be asleep. Just never occurred to me and it was fine.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 pm

My dental student only reclines me as far as I am comfortable.
They are now becoming more aware that breathing difficulties can be caused by extreme tilt.

HDCowboy

Post by HDCowboy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:40 pm

I have a hard time breathing out my nose when my mouth is open, and then they got there hands and tools in there and filling the back of your throat with water and I have to start kicking my legs to get their attention to call for a time out every once in a while to breath and keep from drowning! LOL!
ResMed AirCurve 10 V-Auto / ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:07 pm

I hold up my hand when I need a break.

HDCowboy

Post by HDCowboy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:49 pm

Yeah that works also at times, but when all eyes are in your mouth you have to create a bit more motion sometimes to get their attention!
ResMed AirCurve 10 V-Auto / ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows