Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
xxyzx
 
Posts: 4555
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:42 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby xxyzx on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:00 pm

TASmart wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
Mark55 wrote:Yea,...I thought a hypopnea was overly shallow breathing, or a very low respiration rate?


Actually a hyponea is more like a baby OA that hasn't grown up to be a full grown obstructive apnea.
Has nothing to do with shallow breathing or not.

There are certain criteria that need to be met to earn a flag....they all have to last at least 10 seconds.

Obstructive apneas have the additional criteria of at least an 80% reduction in air flow caused by the airway tissues collapsing and narrowing the airway.
Hyponeas are reductions in the air flow of at least 40% (50%...depends on which brands criteria) to the 79%...caused by the same narrowing of the airway from the airway tissues collapsing.
Has nothing to do with big breaths or shallow breaths..

Now someone could maybe be a shallow breather in conjunction with a hyponea but it isn't the shallow breathing that causes the hyponea flag....it's the reduction in air flow from the obstruction or partial obstruction caused by the airway tissues collapsing and narrowing the airway.

Hyponeas are very important and not to be pooh poohed off as "only a hyponea". They can be just as damaging to the body and to the sleep quality as a full grown OA. That's how come they are part of the AHI and the diagnosis criteria and why the auto adjusting algorithm take them into account when they are deciding how to respond what is going on.

Other than the flag name there really isn't all that much difference between an OA flag of 25 seconds with a reduction of 81% than one with a 78% reduction lasting 25 seconds and getting a hyponea flag.

=======

how ironic after 3 people say i am FOS and you verify that shallow breathing is normal

hypops are only bad when the lower the spo2
low spo2 kills cells
it also increases the heart rate and cause cause death

they are annoying when they cause arousals or RERAs and can disturb sleep
but that wont damage your health if you sleep longer to make up for it

==========

This is incorrect. Hypopneas are considered part of the AHI because they can and do negatively impact health. You cannot just sleep longer to overcome the effects of hypopnea or RERA because you are continually aroused. You cannot get into deep restorative sleep when you are constantly arroused. This is why RERA are of concern for some Doctors. They believe that just the slight rousing from non-scorable events is damaging to the quality of life and by causing some level of arousal your response to respiratory-related arousals is sufficient to cause some of the issues such as increased blood pressure, and daytime sleepiness.

=====

do you read the comments and even try to understand them before you spout off with your lies and nonsense?

I said hypops can impact health by disturbing sleep
i said they can be dangerous if they lower spo2
wtf are you blathering about

if your cells are not damaged you CAN sleep longer to get enough good sleep

yes RERAs are a problem
they cause you to need more sleep to stay healthy
but with more sleep nothing bad happens at all
IF I ever say anything incorrect somebody will post true facts to prove it. But when my posts are accurate they will always attack me personally. You can decide whether my post is correct or not by looking at which they did. [color=#FF00FF]

xxyzx
 
Posts: 4555
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:42 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby xxyzx on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Pugsy wrote:
xxyzx wrote:how ironic after 3 people say i am FOS and you verify that shallow breathing is normal


Read again and try to understand what I wrote.
No where did I say anything about shallow breathing being normal....no where...and I sure as hell didn't verify what you said.

xxyzx wrote:hypops are only bad when the lower the spo2


No, this is not true. They are bad for the same reasons that obstructive apneas and central apneas are bad and oxygen levels may or may not be part of it. Ever wonder why they are part of the AHI in a diagnosis??? Maybe it's because they are sort of important despite what you think.

========
taking things out of context is tasmarts patented dirty trick

hypops are only BAD when tehy lower spo2
they are problems because they disturb sleep
but you can make up for bad sleep with more sleep time
you cant fix dead cells from low oxygen

They are in AHI because they needed a simple statistic for OA to determine if medicrap gives you an xpap

all apnea and hypops are only BAD when they lower spo2
otherwise they are just annoyances

AHI is a meaningless statistic and doctors say so
RDI is meaningful and so is desats level
IF I ever say anything incorrect somebody will post true facts to prove it. But when my posts are accurate they will always attack me personally. You can decide whether my post is correct or not by looking at which they did. [color=#FF00FF]

zonker
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby zonker on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 pm

as far as i knew, i wasn't seeking help for my sleep. my original complaint was that my nose would stop up during sleep. if i laid on my left side, the left nostril would plug up. same with the right side.

fortunately, my GP was interested enough to ask questions. one of them was how often did i get up in the middle of the night to pee? (i had no idea at the time that this was a symptom of sleep apnea.) he then had me do a breath test to see how deeply i could suck in air.

at the end, he said he wasn't sure, but suspected i had sleep apnea. i had no idea what he was talking about! but explained the dangers that i could face and recommended a sleep doctor.

so, i wasn't even seeking help for any sleep "problems", but in the end, i'm glad i got the diagnosis and am now working on the treatment.

User avatar
TASmart
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Eugene, OR
Gender: Male

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby TASmart on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:12 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
xxyzx wrote:how ironic after 3 people say i am FOS and you verify that shallow breathing is normal


Read again and try to understand what I wrote.
No where did I say anything about shallow breathing being normal....no where...and I sure as hell didn't verify what you said.

xxyzx wrote:hypops are only bad when the lower the spo2


No, this is not true. They are bad for the same reasons that obstructive apneas and central apneas are bad and oxygen levels may or may not be part of it. Ever wonder why they are part of the AHI in a diagnosis??? Maybe it's because they are sort of important despite what you think.

========
taking things out of context is tasmarts patented dirty trick

hypops are only BAD when tehy lower spo2
they are problems because they disturb sleep
but you can make up for bad sleep with more sleep time
you cant fix dead cells from low oxygen

They are in AHI because they needed a simple statistic for OA to determine if medicrap gives you an xpap

all apnea and hypops are only BAD when they lower spo2
otherwise they are just annoyances

AHI is a meaningless statistic and doctors say so
RDI is meaningful and so is desats level


This is flat out wrong and potentially deadly. In the absence of distractions apnea, hypopnea and possibly RERA are more than annoyances that can be overcome by sleeping more. The issue is that all forms of sleep-disordered sleeping cause sleep deprivation and may cause oxygen deficiency. Note that your favorite whipping boys, sleep doctors and insurance companies and medicare all use AHI as an indicator of the need for PAP, with and without desaturation. Sleep deprivation alone is a health risk, no matter what you claim.

_________________
Machine Mask 
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Beware XXYZX - He is not as knowledgeable as he thinks he.

User avatar
Pugsy
 
Posts: 41144
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA
Gender: Female

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby Pugsy on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:18 pm

xxyzx wrote:all apnea and hypops are only BAD when they lower spo2
otherwise they are just annoyances


No, that's just your opinion.
Are you actually saying that someone with an AHI of 60 something is just having an "annoyance" because the O2 doesn't drop?
I have a good friend with AHI if 66 and her oxygen levels never dropped during her in lab sleep study. I guess she didn't need CPAP by your opinion.

xxyzx wrote:They are in AHI because they needed a simple statistic for OA to determine if medicrap gives you an xpap

all apnea and hypops are only BAD when they lower spo2
otherwise they are just annoyances


You know you come up with some ridiculous opinions but this one ranks right up at the top for being asinine.
Just because you have this opinion doesn't make it so.

_________________
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Backups..AirCurve 10 ST, S9 Adapt, PR S1 Bipap #760

User avatar
tooter
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:00 pm
Location: SW Florida
Gender: Male

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby tooter on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Why does the owner of this site put up with the crap the xyz guy puts out????????????

_________________
Mask: AirFit™ F20 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: S9 Elite @ 11
Fixed pressure at 11

Lucyhere
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:45 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby Lucyhere on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm

tooter wrote:Why does the owner of this site put up with the crap the xyz guy puts out????????????



Many of us are wondering the same thing! ?????
Resmed Vpap Auto - 7/11
Airfit P10

*Read between the lines and then decide who to take advice from.

zonker
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby zonker on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:27 pm

tooter wrote:Why does the owner of this site put up with the crap the xyz guy puts out????????????


the owner of this site, johnny goodman, is a libertarian. he doesn't believe in rules. he's posted many times that we should just behave ourselves. it's his belief that things will work out.

mind you, it's not the way *I* feel about things.

but, it's not *MY* forum......

User avatar
TASmart
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Eugene, OR
Gender: Male

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby TASmart on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Without a doubt, things will work out. But the credibility and usefulness of the forum will suffer. Good contributors will leave, and the more lunatic fringe will prevail. Such is life.

_________________
Machine Mask 
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Beware XXYZX - He is not as knowledgeable as he thinks he.

Lucyhere
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:45 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby Lucyhere on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:32 pm

TASmart wrote:Without a doubt, things will work out. But the credibility and usefulness of the forum will suffer. Good contributors will leave, and the more lunatic fringe will prevail. Such is life.




And the lunatic fringe will be guiding newly diagnosed people on this cpap journey? There is something very wrong with this picture.
Resmed Vpap Auto - 7/11
Airfit P10

*Read between the lines and then decide who to take advice from.

User avatar
WearyOne
 
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:30 pm
Location: USA
Gender: Female

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby WearyOne on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:21 am

Pugsy wrote:
xxyzx wrote:all apnea and hypops are only BAD when they lower spo2
otherwise they are just annoyances


No, that's just your opinion.
Are you actually saying that someone with an AHI of 60 something is just having an "annoyance" because the O2 doesn't drop?
I have a good friend with AHI if 66 and her oxygen levels never dropped during her in lab sleep study. I guess she didn't need CPAP by your opinion.

xxyzx wrote:They are in AHI because they needed a simple statistic for OA to determine if medicrap gives you an xpap

all apnea and hypops are only BAD when they lower spo2
otherwise they are just annoyances


You know you come up with some ridiculous opinions but this one ranks right up at the top for being asinine.
Just because you have this opinion doesn't make it so.



Good grief, how much more ridiculous can he get?!? [Don't anyone answer that; I'm afraid of the answer!]

He's the master at thinking his opinions are facts.

_________________
Mask: Hybrid Full Face CPAP Mask with Nasal Pillows and Headgear
Humidifier: PR System One 60 Series Heated Tube Humidifier with Heated Tube
Additional Comments: PR1 REMstar 60 Series Auto CPAP | SleepyHead Software | APAP: 9-10.5 [ CMS-50F Pulse/Ox

User avatar
WearyOne
 
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:30 pm
Location: USA
Gender: Female

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby WearyOne on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:33 am

TASmart wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
xxyzx wrote:how ironic after 3 people say i am FOS and you verify that shallow breathing is normal


Read again and try to understand what I wrote.
No where did I say anything about shallow breathing being normal....no where...and I sure as hell didn't verify what you said.

xxyzx wrote:hypops are only bad when the lower the spo2


No, this is not true. They are bad for the same reasons that obstructive apneas and central apneas are bad and oxygen levels may or may not be part of it. Ever wonder why they are part of the AHI in a diagnosis??? Maybe it's because they are sort of important despite what you think.

========
taking things out of context is tasmarts patented dirty trick

hypops are only BAD when tehy lower spo2
they are problems because they disturb sleep
but you can make up for bad sleep with more sleep time
you cant fix dead cells from low oxygen

They are in AHI because they needed a simple statistic for OA to determine if medicrap gives you an xpap

all apnea and hypops are only BAD when they lower spo2
otherwise they are just annoyances

AHI is a meaningless statistic and doctors say so
RDI is meaningful and so is desats level


This is flat out wrong and potentially deadly. In the absence of distractions apnea, hypopnea and possibly RERA are more than annoyances that can be overcome by sleeping more. The issue is that all forms of sleep-disordered sleeping cause sleep deprivation and may cause oxygen deficiency. Note that your favorite whipping boys, sleep doctors and insurance companies and medicare all use AHI as an indicator of the need for PAP, with and without desaturation. Sleep deprivation alone is a health risk, no matter what you claim.



Yep, as usually, he's flat out wrong in so many ways.

And make up for bad sleep with more sleep time? If someone is getting bad sleep, just getting more bad sleep isn't going to make everything all better. :roll: Not all bad sleep can be fixed.

And to the OP's question...I sought help because I was feeling so extremely horrible when I woke up every morning, plus often waking up with a headache, and occasionally jolting awake with a racing heart, and being exhausted all day. I told my GP my symptoms and that I wanted to get a sleep study, and he agreed, referring me to a sleep specialist. Had a sleep study, was diagnosed with moderate OSA with other stuff in there as well. Once on CPAP therapy, the headaches and racing heart thing stopped. And now instead of waking up feeling extremely horrible, I just wake up feeling horrible.

_________________
Mask: Hybrid Full Face CPAP Mask with Nasal Pillows and Headgear
Humidifier: PR System One 60 Series Heated Tube Humidifier with Heated Tube
Additional Comments: PR1 REMstar 60 Series Auto CPAP | SleepyHead Software | APAP: 9-10.5 [ CMS-50F Pulse/Ox

User avatar
Hopeful50
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Cupertino, CA
Gender: Female

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby Hopeful50 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:58 am

My diagnosis began with seeing a Neurologist for chronic migraine. She said most of her patients complain of headaches, and quite often sleep apnea turns out to be the culprit. So I did the split night sleep study in the lab, with an AHI of 28.

With my CPAP, my AHI now averages 0.5 - 1.5. But the headaches continue - it's been three years since I've had a headache-free day. :(

User avatar
49er
 
Posts: 5596
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 am
Gender: None specified

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby 49er on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:27 am

I had tapered off of a cocktail of psych meds I had been on for years and was having sleep problems. My sister suggested I might want to be tested for sleep apnea but I blew her off. I just thought I was experiencing withdrawal issues.

However, I changed my mind and was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea at the end of 2011. I thought this was going to be answer to my problems but unfortunately, I found out differently. Another post.

49er

_________________
Mask: SleepWeaver Elan™ Soft Cloth Nasal CPAP Mask - Starter Kit
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Use SleepyHead, Pressure is 13.6/9.6
Carmen Yulín Cruz‏Verified account @CarmenYulinCruz
The goal is one: saving lives. This is the time to show our "true colors". We cannot be distracted by anything else.

Holden4th
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:15 am
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Gender: Male

Re: What caused you to seek medical help,....

Postby Holden4th on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:49 am

My OSA diagnosis came from a series of unexplained medical events. I'd had a CABG at the beginning of 2013 and it was after this that I started to have fatigue issues during the day. After one particular event I was sent to hospital in an ambulance and of course, as a bypass patient, they checked me out very thoroughly over a 6 month period. I had holter monitors, ecg stress tests, a myocardial perfusion and various other routines to find out what was wrong with my body.

At my second to last meeting with the cardiologist at the hospital my cardiologist said my heart was working perfectly, blood sugar levels were good as were ESR levels. He asked me how well I slept and most importantly, how often I went to the toilet at night. From my responses he suggested a sleep study and contacted my GP. The rest is history.

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Goofproof and 40 guests