Pugsy, and all,....SleepyHead question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mark55

Pugsy, and all,....SleepyHead question

Post by Mark55 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:46 pm

Here is another central from last night. I am trying to learn to interpret some of this myself after watching a number of YouTube vids. Does this appear to be a 'real' central, or caused by an awakening segment? I'm thinking maybe the latter, but no sure by any means.

Julie

Re: Pugsy, and all,....SleepyHead question

Post by Julie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:52 pm

How much does it matter, being one only?

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Julie wrote:How much does it matter, being one only?
It was just a simple question, I am 'trying' to learn how to read these things myself.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:03 pm

I understand... didn't mean anything by it except to reassure.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:05 pm

Sometimes the difference is easy to spot...sometimes not.
To me this is one of the "sometimes not so easy to tell" department.
It's not real obvious awake breathing but there is that obvious change in respiration and big gulp.
This would be one that I would sit there scratching my head over and probably be on the fence about.
Probably leaning towards post arousal.....maybe.
I don't like these because they aren't nice and black and white for me.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Julie wrote:I understand... didn't mean anything by it except to reassure.
No problems.

Pugsy, thanks for the response. What do you make out of the flat line in the already low leak rate at the same time? I just noticed that change took place at approximately the same time as the flagged CA.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:31 pm

I have no idea what to think about that little weird spot in the leak line. Obviously related to that segment of breathing for some reason but I have no idea how or why.
Don't know if it is a SH blip (bug) or a machine blip...would need ResScan to verify and I don't know that I would want to mess with ResScan for just this one blip. If I saw it happen often I might dig deeper.
If you want ResScan send me a private message...Windows only though and a PITA bloated pig to use.
Not nearly as easy to zoom in on that one area as with SH.

SleepyHead is good...real good but not perfect. It is after all Beta software and while the bugs are minimal...there are some bugs (but ResScan has some bugs too) but mostly minor bugs.
It might be that the machine wrote the data to the file in such a manner SH got confused. Might be a little bug.

When I see these little things that I can't quite explain....if I see them often I will use ResScan to verify or attempt to confirm whatever it is I am seeing.
If I don't see them often I don't/won't take the time to investigate.
Sometimes I just shrug my shoulders and chalk it up to the aliens screwing with me. The machines themselves aren't always perfect with the data sampling and writing to the SD card.
It's a good system but not a perfect system if you know what I mean. It was never really designed to be put under the microscope the way we do.
Machine recording was always mainly for trends and patterns so sometimes those teeny tiny minute things might slip through the cracks.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Pugsy wrote:I have no idea what to think about that little weird spot in the leak line. Obviously related to that segment of breathing for some reason but I have no idea how or why.
Don't know if it is a SH blip (bug) or a machine blip...would need ResScan to verify and I don't know that I would want to mess with ResScan for just this one blip. If I saw it happen often I might dig deeper.
If you want ResScan send me a private message...Windows only though and a PITA bloated pig to use.
Not nearly as easy to zoom in on that one area as with SH.

SleepyHead is good...real good but not perfect. It is after all Beta software and while the bugs are minimal...there are some bugs (but ResScan has some bugs too) but mostly minor bugs.
It might be that the machine wrote the data to the file in such a manner SH got confused. Might be a little bug.

When I see these little things that I can't quite explain....if I see them often I will use ResScan to verify or attempt to confirm whatever it is I am seeing.
If I don't see them often I don't/won't take the time to investigate.
Sometimes I just shrug my shoulders and chalk it up to the aliens screwing with me. The machines themselves aren't always perfect with the data sampling and writing to the SD card.
It's a good system but not a perfect system if you know what I mean. It was never really designed to be put under the microscope the way we do.
Machine recording was always mainly for trends and patterns so sometimes those teeny tiny minute things might slip through the cracks.

It only lasted 32 seconds, so nothing big. Once again, I am only interested in learning at this point. I already learned to let most of the stuff I see in SH go by the wayside, and not be concerned. Thanks for the ResScan offer, but right now trying to learn SH is enough,....maybe later though!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Mark55 wrote:Here is another central from last night. I am trying to learn to interpret some of this myself after watching a number of YouTube vids. Does this appear to be a 'real' central, or caused by an awakening segment? I'm thinking maybe the latter, but no sure by any means.
To me, it's clear that your central there was the result of something that happened first... witness the disturbance before hand. including the leak spike, maybe rolling over.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:15 pm

I agree with PR. Something caused the disturbance in breathing which is why I lean towards post arousal and not real.
Maybe turned over in bed and had a little pause in breathing.

I once had 17 centrals in 17 minutes and every one of them looked real to me. I couldn't spot even the slightest breathing irregularity that might let be blame it on arousals or SWJ.
Since it only happened the one time I never was able to really do much detective work but it has always stuck in the back of my mind....wondering what the hell happened. I don't always have a clear cut explanation for something but it doesn't stop me from wondering "why".
I just don't expend a lot of time or energy worrying about it.

Sounds like you are like me...curious but accepting of the fact that sometimes we have questions that don't always have clear cut answers.
Nothing wrong with that in my book.
And yes, I understand the need to learn. That's why I keep studying all this stuff even after all the time I have been on the machine.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:19 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Julie wrote:How much does it matter, being one only?
======

that was one in a 3 minute period

we need to see the entire nights data too

He only wanted to learn what people were looking at to determine the nature of the event, not a encyclopedic look at the entire night. Do you ever bother to actually read the entire post and the thread before serving up a half-baked answer?
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Actually, your entire post makes no sense, I only chose to comment on the most unresponsive part. If you want to see additional data for your own edification, then ask to see it, but to say "we" need to see the entire night's waveforms if silly. As far a "staking" you, no I just reply to poor answers when I run across them.
Your mileage may vary

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 pm

More foul crude and abusive language from the #1 bully. ANd no knowledge of anatomy either I see. The op knows the extent of how bad the CA are, and if ypu take time to look at the chart you can count four in a just over 4 hour period. Not a problem. Now since you insist that your answer makes sense, let's take a look:

it says your xpap does not have a backup rate and kept pushing air anyway

It is an Airsense 10 why would you note it has no backup rate, of course it doesn't, and what does this have to do with interpreting the OP question as to the type of event was highlighted? ANd why would the APAP shut down and stop pushing air - nonsensical answer?

if you were not breathing that may have affect the leak rate

What does the leak rate have to do with the question? Later it is asked if there was anything special about the leak rate falling to 0 but the overall leak rate is so near 0 I'd sat the leak fell to 0 at that time, probably as the OP shifted position.

not sure what is different when you were breathing wrt leaks
unless there was no pressure until it senses you trying to breathe and restarts

What does the second part of this even mean, in any properly working APAP there is always pressure, so it would not stop and restart. Unless you are claiming that it was the autostart causing that, which totally is off for the waveform and time frame because the autostart turns off the APAP in response to a period of no back pressure flow, then restarts when it senses a breath - but it has to be off to sense the need to restart and clearly it was not off.

Edit: I just wanted to add I am not stalking you, but if you think I am, then deal with it big boy.
Your mileage may vary

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:12 pm

I don't need to see the entire night just to answer a question about one specific event. Seeing the entire night wouldn't change my mind about what I think in this situation and since the OP clearly stated he was just wanting to learn how to better identify these things I see no need to go to additional work.
I have never had much luck finding any correlation between tidal volume, etc and the other data points in helping me figure out if an event is real or not or if someone is asleep or not so I just do the best I can with the wave form.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Mark, I'm going to cast my vote for post arousal or post disturbance.
You asked about flat line. Here's something to ponder. While wearing a nasal mask, if you inhale thru your mouth, the machine will not detect any flow and that will be represented by a flat line. At the same time, since there is no inspiratory flow detected there will be no leak detected (ResMed).
Unfortunately, I know of no way to tell for sure with our machines whether a flat line is due to mouth inspiration or apnea while wearing a nasal mask.