Middle of Night awakenings with HICCUPS!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Madalot

Middle of Night awakenings with HICCUPS!

Post by Madalot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:08 am

I was having a decent night last night, but woke up at 3am with hiccups! They were pretty strong and annoying and lasted about 20-25 minutes before finally subsiding (I DID go back to sleep after that - yeah!!).

This is not the first time I've woken up in the middle of the night with hiccups. In the last 3-4 months, it's happened at least 6-7 times. It's so aggravating!

I tried doing a little good research and didn't find much definitive. I also searched here, but the word "hiccup" is also used a lot to talk about machine issues, site issues, etc.

Anybody have any clue what causes middle-of-the-night hiccups?

Julie

Re: Middle of Night awakenings with HICCUPS!

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:14 am

I find that happens - or at least that I get hiccups while awake - when I need to watch acid intake, whether just caffeine or more, and do otherwise occasionally have GERD overnight if I forget to take my 1/2 tab of Tums before bed (and that works great), but also take little bits in the daytime if I have too much acid.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:32 am

I have GERD, but it's well treated with Prilosec & OTC Pepcid. I rarely get any type of hiccups. These middle-of-the-night ones are extremely annoying! I'm having enough trouble going back to sleep but with hiccups? Impossible!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:36 am

Madalot wrote:I was having a decent night last night, but woke up at 3am with hiccups! They were pretty strong and annoying and lasted about 20-25 minutes before finally subsiding (I DID go back to sleep after that - yeah!!).

This is not the first time I've woken up in the middle of the night with hiccups. In the last 3-4 months, it's happened at least 6-7 times. It's so aggravating!

I tried doing a little good research and didn't find much definitive. I also searched here, but the word "hiccup" is also used a lot to talk about machine issues, site issues, etc.

Anybody have any clue what causes middle-of-the-night hiccups?
Have your husband sneak into your bedroom and scare the crap out of you wearing a Halloween costume like the one palerider wears all the time

That should cure the hiccups.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:45 am

Going through the posted list of possibilities, a thought has occurred to me. My situation is quite different (outside the box) after all. First diagnosed with moderate OSA with severe desaturations, then it was changed to diaphragm paralysis due to the neuromuscular disease. I've always said it's both!

I know that losing weight doesn't necessarily mean any change in therapy. But it can. I have lost over 100 pounds since 2015 (and kept it off).

I'm wondering if my pressure needs HAVE changed......hmmm.....

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:53 am

Severe, lingering hiccups can sometimes be alleviated with a drug. (Several kinds availabe)
They use it on some stroke patients in the hospital.
Ask your doctor if there is something you can safely take at home.
I am usually able to stop my diaphragm muscle spasms by breathing in and out
without a "stop" between inhale and exhale. (Which is when my spasms trigger)
Not sure if you can do this, so your doctor might be able to help with an rx.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:21 pm

Breath into a brown paper bag. This raises the carbon dioxide level in the blood, calming the nerve and muscle irritability that causes hiccups. (Don't use a plastic bag – it can cling to your nostrils.) Keep breathing into the paper bag until the hiccups stop, or you feel uncomfortable. This really does work for me. I know someone will say can you use a white paper bag, yes you can.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:30 pm

squid13 wrote:Breath into a brown paper bag. This raises the carbon dioxide level in the blood, calming the nerve and muscle irritability that causes hiccups. (Don't use a plastic bag – it can cling to your nostrils.) Keep breathing into the paper bag until the hiccups stop, or you feel uncomfortable. This really does work for me. I know someone will say can you use a white paper bag, yes you can.
Interesting. I'll have to get some paper bags (brown most likely) 'cause I don't think I have any.

I don't take my mask off during the hiccups. I wonder what the DirectView data looks like during that 20-25 minutes???

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:22 pm

Madalot wrote:
squid13 wrote:Breath into a brown paper bag. This raises the carbon dioxide level in the blood, calming the nerve and muscle irritability that causes hiccups. (Don't use a plastic bag – it can cling to your nostrils.) Keep breathing into the paper bag until the hiccups stop, or you feel uncomfortable. This really does work for me. I know someone will say can you use a white paper bag, yes you can.
Interesting. I'll have to get some paper bags (brown most likely) 'cause I don't think I have any.

I don't take my mask off during the hiccups. I wonder what the DirectView data looks like during that 20-25 minutes???
I've used the brown bag on occasion. It actually stops the hiccups for me. Thing is... it just may stop the hiccups but if you don't figure out what the cause is, it will keep happening. Your pressure needs may have changed... maybe start there. Also, don't eat anything close to bed time if you can help it. I was told 3 hours or more. Hard when you just gotta have that one chocolate chip cookie.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:31 pm

I mentioned the stroke connection because, with your disorder,
you might want to rule out any neurological cause.
I hope you get relief soon.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:44 pm

Personally, I would just think of some of the threads and the bad advice given by some posters, that ought to scare you enough to cure any curable hiccups.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 pm

Tas, if you read about her medical situation, I would not dismiss hiccups as "minor";
and I am ashamed of you for your attitude.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Forgive me a bad joke, I do not mean to make light of anyone's medical condition.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:02 pm

Maddie, will you just stop taking that scotch bottle to bed with you and sneaking a drink when hubby is snoring next to you Kidding Maddie... My son uses the bag idea too and it works for him, just takes a few minutes and the hic ups are gone. My hubby had them for a day and a half, talk about going crazy. We tried everything, finally took him the clinic and the doc gave him some muscle relaxing drug, that did the trick for him, but he had one heck of a sore chest for a bit . With all of your other problems you don't need something else to tackle your patience. Give the bag idea a go and hopefully it will work.
Good luck
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:04 pm

TASmart wrote:Forgive me a bad joke, I do not mean to make light of anyone's medical condition.

Of course you didn't! Not to worry. Madalot won't think you did either.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10