Felt GREAT now I'm feeling worse

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Godsgirl

Felt GREAT now I'm feeling worse

Post by Godsgirl » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

I started CPAP 4 weeks ago and felt great the first week and a half. After this I have started to feel worse and worse and now I feel like I'm back where I started before CPAP. My mask is the Breeze Nasal Pillows and my machine is a Remstar Plus M Series. I am trying very hard to do well with this because I want to feel better!!!! I've tied nylon stocking around my head to pull the mask closer to my face and I got a chin strap because my husband said I started breathing through my mouth. I just don't understand why I would start to feel so awful again. Has anyone out there had this experience? I'm wondering if I should get a full face mask or a nasal mask instead of the pillows? Could my pressure need to be changed now? I don't have the software for the machine so I have no clue how I'm really doing. I know I sleep through the night. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! I am so frustrated!!! I don't want to feel this way anymore and especially after I felt so good. Thanks for any help you would give me!!!!

JimH

Post by JimH » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:52 pm

Godsgirl,

It is not uncommon to have feel worse again two weeks later. It takes most people longer to adjust to it. The immediate oxogen flow to the system definately provides immediately relief, but until the body gets used to the system you will have up and down days. You have to remember your body has not slept right in a long time and it will take time for it to even out. Many argue that the body feels tired because it just wants more of what it hasn't had in a long time. Breathing through your mouth will also lessen the effect of the mask. A Chin Strap is a sound move. I use one, but I can tell you that it doesn't always work. But is great for the majority of the time.

Jim

tooly125

Post by tooly125 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:23 pm

You probably should have a full face mask for a backup in case you get a cold.
If you get one you could try it for a while and see if mouth leaks are a problem.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body totally worn out and screaming,WOO HOO what a ride!

meister

Have you had your thyroid checked?

Post by meister » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:42 pm

You might want to see a good endocrinologist as more than one thing
could be happening to you. Did you know that many folks on this
list are way overweight because they are hypothyroid and don't even
know it. Many folks have given up on losing weght and just strap on
the CPAP mask because the Sleep Doctor says either 1) lose weight,
or 2) wear a mask. Thin people can have true sleep apnea, so it
should not be presented as an either/or scenario. There can be lots
of things going on, and none of us can diagnosis you correctly over
the Internet. We can just throw out suggestions. It would be nice to
have more info on your general health profile. Keep at it and you
will find relief!!

meister

How about this idea?

Post by meister » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:47 pm

The chin strap is pulling your jaw backward and closing up you
airway, resulting in less oxygen to your organs. Stop using the
chin strap. See if you can get an oximeter to measure your
O2 levels at home. Elevate you head via a wedge pillow .
Maybe you have some acid reflux going on. Do you have
morning headaches? Usually a sign of low Oxygen.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:01 pm

You can try taping your mouth shut. Then you will know your not mouth breathing. You can do a search on taping and get all kinds of info on it. I have to tape when I use the CL2, apparently I sleep with my mouth open most of the time! Most of the time I use the hybrid so it doesn't matter.

Brenda

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:16 pm

Taping or a FF Mask are the answer, for the most part chin straps don't work out, and may make thing worse.

If you machine gave useful data, the software would show up your problem. But taping or Ff Masks will correct most problems. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire