Have appt. to pick up new machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Addie

Have appt. to pick up new machine

Post by Addie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi,
I have an appointment for Monday morning to look at and pick up a new machine and mask.
I am going to try the resmed autosense for her and try the nasal pillows.
I think pugsy has this combination.

It has a sd card slot and was wondering should I just pick up a. Card reader at staples for about 15.00 or should I try this sleepyhead program that you all talk about.

To be honest, I am not sure I am understanding what the difference is.
This sounds complicated to me. Can someone explain exactly what I have to do to read my data.

Thanks.

Pugsy

Re: Have appt. to pick up new machine

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:24 pm

If your computer already has a working SD card slot you won't be needing a card reader. Card reader/adapter is only needed if there is no working SD card slot which means one of the USB ports has to be used.

You will need to us the SD card and that slot for SleepyHead to be able to download the data from the card.
Now there is a way to do it with a very special WiFi card but that's a lot of work and setting it up isn't all that easy. Not something that I advise trying right off the bat. Wait a bit and then if you want to try it then you can.

See if this helps.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... d#pid73182

and mine
viewtopic/t88983/Pugsys-PointersSleepyH ... Hints.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Staples sounds high for the card reader, Check Wal-mart or Newegg. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Pugsy,

Thank you for the reply. No, my computer does not have a card slot so I guess I will pick up a reader.

Also thank you for the links, I am off to bed now but will be reading them in the morning.

Thanks again.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Sorry...I thought you said it has a slot.
Not a big deal..WalMart has those card reader/adapters too. A little less than $10 if I remember right but you might be closer to a Staples.

It's not difficult to use SleepyHead. In just a little bit of no time you will see how easy it is.
Don't worry about understanding all that you see immediately. That can come later.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Addie wrote: resmed autosense for her
Make sure you ask for the AIRsense 10 autoSET for her, they're less likely to give you the wrong (cheaper) thing by intentionally misunderstanding what you want.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:02 pm

hi,

picked up my new machine air sense for her and p10 nasal pillow mask.
When I asked my DME about sleepyhead she said that I did not need that with the new machine because I am with MyAir automatically and that would be fine.
Now if I want I can still use sleepyhead but I am wondering do any of you experts that use this machine by RESMED use the MyAir technology.
Thanks

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Why would you bother switch from Sleepyhead, it shows more.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 pm

I have the ResMed AIrSense 10 AutoSet for Her. I use SleepyHead and it works just fine.
I do NOT use the MyAir stuff because there is no need. No one cares about my using the machine since it has been over 8 years since I started cpap and insurance did not buy my machine...so they don't care either.
I could if I wanted to sign up for MyAir but I see no need.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:55 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Addie wrote:hi,

picked up my new machine air sense for her and p10 nasal pillow mask.
When I asked my DME about sleepyhead she said that I did not need that with the new machine because I am with MyAir automatically and that would be fine.
Now if I want I can still use sleepyhead but I am wondering do any of you experts that use this machine by RESMED use the MyAir technology.
Thanks
=======

my air is useless
i ignore it

if you want to optimise treatment you need to use SH
xxyzx finds MyAir useless. Others find uses for it as a simple no-effort status monitor and motivational tool, especially when first starting out. It is not nor is it intended as a diagnostic tool. You can use ResScan for that, it's not as visually appealing as Sleepyhead but gives the data needed to adjust your therapy. The link to email and get a copy of ResScan is available on the apneaboard website.
Last edited by TASmart on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:15 pm

I thought I wrote a long reply here but it is not showing up, maybe I forgot to submit.
Recap: I have been on cpap for 22 years. have only used 2 machines in that time so you can see both were pretty old and did not have all the tech info. as today. I had never looked at any data.
I used about 4 different types of masks with the last one being wisp.

Now last night I used my new resmed auto 10 for her with the p10 nasal pillow mask. I had no problems. Was very happy.
with it.
I was surprised that I put water in humidifier to max and this morning it was almost empty.
As mentioned I do not have a card reader yet so here on the results I see on the small LCD screen.
I need some experts to tell me why these look so good.

Time used: 8.38 hrs.
EPH 0.8
humidity Happy face
Pressure 8.8
Leaks 16 L /min
AHI 0.4
Total AI 0.4
Central AI 0.0

Now I do not understand any of this except that I learned by reading on here that AHI is never usually this low.
What gives????
Is this reading False???
My pressure was ser between 7-12

Please help me understand this if you can.
Thanks

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Addie wrote:I was surprised that I put water in humidifier to max and this morning it was almost empty.
Water consumption can and will vary and sometimes by a lot depending on several factors. Don't worry about it.
Should you find that it starts to run dry every night then we can talk about your options.
Addie wrote:EPH 0.8
Is this a typo...I don't know what this is.
Addie wrote:humidity Happy face
The happy face is actually for leak management. You get a happy face as long as you don't spend more than 30% of the night in large leak.
It takes a LOT of large leak to get Mr Frowny face.
Addie wrote:Pressure 8.8
This is what we call a 95% pressure number. All it means is you were at OR BELOW that number for 95% of the night.
Addie wrote:Leaks 16 L /min
This is also a 95% number. You were at or below this number for excess leaks for 95% of the night. ResMed uses 24 L/min as the beginning of large leak territory. As long as leaks didn't wake you up...your leak numbers are well within acceptable limits and no need to worry about leaks.
Addie wrote:AHI 0.4
Total AI 0.4
Central AI 0.0
With AI being 0.4 and your total AHI being 0.4 then your events were obstructive apneas (since the central apnea number is 0 and there is no mention of hyponea number).
It's the average per hour over the 8 1/2 hours you had the machine on. So you probably only had 3 or 4 apnea events over the entire night. That's extremely good.

Excellent numbers and I assume you feel good since you say you are very happy with the results of your first night.

As to why these numbers are better than numbers on your past machine...different machine...different algorithm. Can't really compare.
Not unusual though. Just a better more improved machine and working algorithm.

I predict very boring reports once you do get the software up and running.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Addie wrote:I was surprised that I put water in humidifier to max and this morning it was almost empty.
What climate do you live in? What was the low temp outside last night? What was the temp in your bedroom? What was your humidifier setting? Did you have dry mouth?

I won't do without Sleepyhead, but if you keep getting such good AHI and leak levels, you really don't have to worry with Sleepyhead.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:22 pm

Pugsy: Thanks so much for that info. I think the EPH means events per hour. I also think the results sound good. But I am wondering do you think there is a chance I do not even need a machine. Maybe I can go without.

CG: I live in Canada neat Vermont. Last night temp was between 36-38 and my bedroom temp was 60.8 .
I do not know what my humidifier setting is at. Where can I find that?
No. I did not have dry mouth.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:52 pm

For figuring out what your humidity settings might be see this manual.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf
Are you using a heated hose....if so it may be on Auto which is the default from the factory.

If no heated hose I think the default is either 4 or 6.

Do I think that because your AHI is nice an low that you don't need the machine? No.
What you see being flagged are the events that slipped past the defenses. We have no way to know how many apnea events were prevented.

Using cpap is like wearing glasses...you only see good with the glasses on and without things go back to the way they were.

Now has your situation changed significantly over the years and your airway collapsing not nearly as much of a problem....dunno...we can't tell from what the machine shows us.
You would need another sleep study without cpap again to see what is going on without cpap.
At least a good home study.

So the AHI is reflective of the apnea events that were NOT prevented. We have no way at all to know how many were prevented.
Even if someone were to use fixed pressure of 4 cm there is still some therapy value at 4 cm so we can't put a whole lot of faith in a nice low AHI with 4 cm pressure.

Talk to your doctor if you want to be re-evaluated for OSA.