What happens if I put machine in airplane mode?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rainmom17

What happens if I put machine in airplane mode?

Post by Rainmom17 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:03 pm

I realized recently that I dutifully put my phone in airplane mode every night to reduce radiation from cell phone. But...my cpap machine uses wifi and is right next to the head of my bed. So, I'm wondering what would happen if I put it in airplane mode. Would data still show up on my sd card? Would my doctor no longer receive reports on my usage? Just want to weigh the pros and cons.

Goofproof

Re: What happens if I put machine in airplane mode?

Post by Goofproof » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Rainmom17 wrote:I realized recently that I dutifully put my phone in airplane mode every night to reduce radiation from cell phone. But...my cpap machine uses wifi and is right next to the head of my bed. So, I'm wondering what would happen if I put it in airplane mode. Would data still show up on my sd card? Would my doctor no longer receive reports on my usage? Just want to weigh the pros and cons.
Your XPAP doesn't use WiFi, it uses cell towers like your phone. Jim

Putting it in airplane mode, cuts off transmit mode.
Last edited by Goofproof on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Airplane mode works like airplane mode on a laptop or notebook.
All it does is block the machine from transmitting the data to the ResMed website via cellular towers (not wi fi) at the regular appointed time for data transmission (don't know when that is).

All data is still available on the SD card or the machine LCD. Airplane mode on or off doesn't affect the SD card or the machine data storage.

If no one (Doc or DME) is needing to monitor the data available on the website it hurts nothing to just leave it off.
Or you could turn it back on when you get up and the machine can send the data daily or even once a week.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Thank you - makes sense!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Rainmom17 wrote:I realized recently that I dutifully put my phone in airplane mode every night to reduce radiation from cell phone.
why don't you just turn it off, or leave it in the living room?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:58 pm

I think that has been answered more than once in this post alone, not counting other threads.... If you really want to keep the phone radio waves from getting into the foil hat, place it in the fridge or microwave oven. Remove it from the microwave oven before making breakfast. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:16 pm

I use Sleep Cycle (a cell phone app) as my alarm clock. Wakes me up at a good time in my sleep cycle as opposed to a set time, when I may be in deep sleep.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:30 pm

I let my body decide when it's ready to wake up, unless I'm required to wake up at a set time to meet the needs of the real world, then I set a alarm. Always worry about the clock not being loud enough to overcome the XPAP and Windows A/C noise. The solution: my Android Tablet Alarm, easy to set. loud (controllable) Don't need glasses, choice of alarm tones. Jim

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Rainmom17 wrote:I realized recently that I dutifully put my phone in airplane mode every night to reduce radiation from cell phone. But...my cpap machine uses wifi and is right next to the head of my bed. So, I'm wondering what would happen if I put it in airplane mode. Would data still show up on my sd card? Would my doctor no longer receive reports on my usage? Just want to weigh the pros and cons.

what the others won't tell you is that if you out it in airplane mode, it gets up and flies around the room.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:03 pm

My Dr gets my user data from the upload site at ResMed. He gets much more data that is shown in MyAair, not quite as much as is recorded in the breath by breath on the SD card. The report the sleep Dr gets is close to that given by ResScan. Your Dr. may not have the capability to download/process data from the SD card, so if you use the airplane mode your Dr. may or may not be able to review your data and consequently may not be able to advise you on adjustments. Or not - if you Dr. can read and process the SD card data then all is good if you bring the card to the visit with you. If you are not using a sleep Dr. then it does not matter at all.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:07 pm

No worries. Depending on the machine, it sends the data either about an hour after you've turned off the air or around noon (whatever your machine is set at). It repeatedly uploads all the AHI data for whatever time period the manufacturer has set, but seems to be about 2 weeks. Just turn off airplane mode when you get up and all is well.

The uploading of AHI data is really only a problem for someone who is still going through the motions to satisfy insurance and usually that is due to unplugging the machine when they get up. People who travel for work and those who are trying to reduce the vampires on their electrical bill I would say are the most affected.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Mine has been in airplane mode almost since I received it. There's no mythical doctor spending time looking at my graphs and nobody requires my compliance data, so there's no reason to transmit it anywhere. No CPAP police have come knocking at my door.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:42 pm

I simply leave the machine in "phone home" mode. The reminder message is a PITA.
After 3 years, nobody is listening, because it would be too boring, and nobody gets paid.
No foil hat here--the crinkling interferes with my sleep.
My phone charges just inches from my head.
Radiation be damned!

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:The reminder message is a PITA.
I just pulled the plug.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:58 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I simply leave the machine in "phone home" mode. The reminder message is a PITA.
After 3 years, nobody is listening, because it would be too boring, and nobody gets paid.
No foil hat here--the crinkling interferes with my sleep.
My phone charges just inches from my head.
Radiation be damned!

I charge my next to my bed as well and is also my alarm! Yeah, foil hats might be a bit noisy with the crinkling and all!