Nasal mask for narrow bridge

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
davecpap

Nasal mask for narrow bridge

Post by davecpap » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:21 am

I've used the Fisher & Paykel Zest mask for seven years. I recently tried an Eson mask, and while comfortable it doesn't make a good seal around my nose due to a narrow bridge. I tried two differernt size Eson cushions.

Any other recommendations? Or if it ain't broke don't fix it? I just wanted to see if any improvements in mask comfort over past ~7 years since I started. I'm not a huge fan of the Zest headgear.

Tovi

Re: Nasal mask for narrow bridge

Post by Tovi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 pm

I know you're a guy, but you might try some of the nasal mask and pillows for females because many (but not all) female noses are narrower than male noses. A lot of the stuff for females is pure marketing crap, but some of the CPAP stuff is not. Back in 2010 when Swift FX for her was one of the few female masks, I personally couldn't get any of the other nasal masks to fit my nose and used that. Now for the first time I use a unisex mask, but the small mask and small headgear really are small.

Additional Comments: Sleepyhead for Mac software

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:38 pm

I have a really narrow nose bridge and when I wear a FF mask the best cushions are air cushions. The trick is to make the straps REALLY loose at the top. What you want to happen is to have that air cushion fill really full with air to hug the narrow nose bridge properly.

I like the Mirage Quattro because I can dial out the nose piece so there's almost no pressure there and I can keep the straps loose (but I compensate by making the lower straps pretty tight). The air cushion makes the seal around my nose.

If you can possibly avoid a mask that covers the bridge of the nose that's even better. I much prefer the soft nasal masks (like the Wisp) and the very best mask ever for me is the DreamWear. But I still keep a Quattro around for when I have a stuffy nose.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:06 am

The Wisp mask works well on my narrow-bridged nose, once I got the strap settings balanced to avoid over-tightening. I haven't tried any other masks so can't comment with comparisons.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:31 am

I've got a really narrow bridge, as well as a deep inset under my brow. Only mask so far is the Quattro FX FFM. I have to use a Full Face for my issues and tried the Simplus (leaked so bad I got windburn on my eyelids) F20 was nice but after a month was uncomfortable. I did however get a Large Headgear finally for the FX and modified it a bit to keep more pressure on the bridge, the STD head gear kept pulling the mask up into my brow, so the bottom would pop Into my mouth occasionally.

"I hate the word 'Handicapped' and 'Disabled'. They imply that you are less than whole don't see myself that way at all". ~Aimee Mullins

bkn

Post by bkn » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:44 pm

I have a similar problem. Narrow bridge, full mask. They switched me to the AirFit F20 which seems to have a better seal at the top than my previous.