new machine and mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Addie

new machine and mask

Post by Addie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:33 am

Hoping for some help here. I have been on cpap for 22 years.
I live in Canada and never did any of the reading of my machines like you all do. I never even knew if my machine had the capabilities. According to my first sleep study in hospital setting back in June 1995. This is my written report:
Sleep was of very poor quality with frequent stage changes, awakingings and numerous respiratory-related movement arousals. Sleep architectecture was notable for a complete absence in delta wave sleep. The patient slept supine for approx. 1/3 of the night. Snoring was present for the majority of the sleep period. There were numerous obstructive and mixed apneas and hypopneas. events were associated with mild 0 desaturation. The nadir SaO for the night was 85%. The apnea/hypopnea index was 96.9 event /hr. There was no PLM and no other diagnostic abnormality.
IMPRESSION: Severe sleep apnew and hypopnea

I went back a few weeks ago for a new study but they would only send me home with wires to add to my machine at home and see if there were any changes. According to him, same doctor by the way after all this time was that sleep apnea very seldom disappears but if anything gets worse. I have been having a lot of troubles with my mask and feel it is time for me to get on with a new machine and mask. I have had for the last about 14 years about a Fisher & Paykel HC220 Humidified cpap machine and for about 4-5 years a few philips respironics wisp minimal contact masks (from when they were first introduced). I liked this mask for a long time after solving the broken clip problem but I am a side sleeper and feel like I am struggling with this mask all night long now.

First study he put me on 9 pressure fixed and this time ( I think because I kept questioning the pressure) he put me on between 7 and 12. He did explain to me that the pressure had nothing to do with the severity of my apnea. The fact that I had 96.9 events in an hour was what determined the severity.

So here I am needing help to buy a new machine and mask keeping budgets in mine. I thought to mabe look at the air sense for her machine and maybe the air fir P10 nasal pillow mask but I am open to all suggestions. This time around I would like to be able to read my results with your help of course. They say these machines include a sd card to bring to doctor if needed. Can I read that on my computer or do you need a special slot for that.

As you can see I have lots of questions. I have an appointment for Monday morning with a provider.
Thank you all for any help you can give me.

AMESS

Re: new machine and mask

Post by AMESS » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Wow that's a load. First of all do u have insurance up there in Canada? I am only 6 week into this therapy and so far none of the 5 masks I had worked very good. From this point my insurance will only provide a free mask every two months. So the new one I got today, I had to buy. The mask is the Phillips Resperonics Amara view. Cannot recommend anything till I use it for a while. And frankly, its a personal thing. What I like you may not like. If your current Dr wont give you a new sleep test and you have insurance go elsewhere and start again. Also, if worse comes to worse, try the wires your current Dr has offered. You have nothing to loose. I think 99 Ahis after so many years of use is quite high. Do you know what it was before you started? Six weeks ago my AHIs were 68 per hr. Now I am down to 2 or 3. This is why I ask.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Amess - the term is AHI. Not AHIs as you've consistently posted. If you don't understand what it refers to then look it up, but I don't think at the stage you're at that you should be advising newbies just yet though I understand that it feels good.

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Addie,

The ResMed Airsense 10 APAP (which you will need based on the new prescription you have received) does record therapy data that you can download on the SD card. You will need a SD card reader if your computer is not equipped with a built in one. You will also need a free piece of software called SleepyHead (instructions as to where to find it can be found on the forum by doing a search). The mask is your preference.

Beware, let a few people confirm what I have mentioned, as I don't own the newest model of APAP.

Good luck,

RiverDave

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:42 pm

River DAVE,
Thanks for that reply. Is the only way to see what is going on is the sd card or does my machine show my progress on the screen of the machine somehow in the morning.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Addie wrote:Is the only way to see what is going on is the sd card or does my machine show my progress on the screen of the machine somehow in the morning.
I don't know about your current machine but if you are going to get the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (or the for Her model) the answer is yes...there is some data available on the machine's LCD screen. You just have to turn it on so that you can see it.
Default setting from the factory is for patient not to be able to see the therapy data stuff.
Here's the provider manual for the AirSense 10 AutoSet. It will explain how to turn on that feature (Essentials has to be changed from "usage" to "Plus"...
Along with some other informative information you might find handy.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

A MESS

Post by A MESS » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Julie--its not nice to be nasty. I do Not know it all nor do you. I do not get anything out of proving my personal use of CPAP. with anyone. I think u r one of the people that should be removed. I do not know if what you say is true or not. But your tone and the way you said it leads me to believe you are in the same class as XXYZ. Tally Ho--remember "do unto others"

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Pugs,
Thanks for that manual. Seems complicated but I guess the provider helps you with some of the set up.
I see you are using the machine and mask I am thinking of looking at.
Do you know how your mask would compare to the resperonics wisp. Have you ever tried the wisp.
I am a side sleeper and seem to have more trouble with it when I am on my side. How would the air fit p10 work in these situations. Thanks

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Yes, I tried the Wisp. I lasted all of 90 minutes with it before I yanked it off to never let it touch my face again.
It felt like 6 hours but was only 90 minutes...longest 90 minutes of my life.

You really can't compare the P10 nasal pillows and the Wisp nasal cushion because they aren't the same type of mask at all.
One is the cushion thingy that goes over the end of the nose and one is the nasal pillows.

I am primarily as side sleeper and obviously I do very well with the P10 nasal pillows. I fact I probably toss and turn a lot (back issues) and it's rare that I get mask movement leaks with a nasal pillow mask.

My issues with the Wisp are rather unique to my own personal needs and preferences so I can't say it is a bad mask...it's just a bad mask for me. Lots of people just love it.

I have been on cpap therapy for over 8 years now and I have always preferred a nasal pillow mask.
1...I simply don't like anything across the bridge of my nose for a couple of reasons
2...I have always done well with a nasal pillow mask so why change
3...I have a personal preference for as little on my face and head as possible...as little headgear and silicone and the nasal pillow masks tend to have the least physical presence on my face or head. As you can imagine I am not a big fan of full face masks...way too much stuff on my face and head.

Now you may have different preferences than needs from mine. So what I might think about a mask might not end up being what you think of a mask simply because you might have different needs than I have.

For some people when side sleeping it's more important that the bed pillow not squish on the mask and cause it to move.
Sometimes a change in bed pillow is needed especially if someone is using a rather firm pillow with no give to it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Amess - I didn't know that trying to teach something was nasty... you really need to get a grip.

A MESS

Post by A MESS » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Julie-- The woman clearly states what her AHIs are. NO clue what u r talking about. Try a little kindness. Goes a long way.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:55 pm

A MESS wrote:Julie-- The woman clearly states what her AHIs are. NO clue what u r talking about. Try a little kindness. Goes a long way.
Julie WAS being kind
Julie wrote:Amess - the term is AHI. Not AHIs as you've consistently posted. If you don't understand what it refers to then look it up, but I don't think at the stage you're at that you should be advising newbies just yet though I understand that it feels good.
One more time: AHI IS NOT PLURAL.
AHI stands for Apnea/Hypopnea Index. It is AN average of the number of events over a period of time. This is one of the most basic terms any apnea patient needs to know, and if you can't write it correctly you really don't need to be dispensing advice about it.

Julie has been here a helluva lot longer than I have and helped teach me; the OP has been on CPAP a helluva lot longer than you so I'm pretty sure she's got the basics down and is simply looking for opinions on the latest equipment from those who actually use it for longer than three days before tossing it aside.

Last edited by RicaLynn on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Wow, thank you so much RL! I know I can come off kind of harsh at times and I should be more careful, but this particular poster has irritated me for a while and I just hit submit tonite, no better excuse.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm

No excuses needed, Julie. Don't know what her bed is with you but you were polite as could be. Me, I'm about done with manners...

A MESS

Post by A MESS » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:42 am

My dear Julie--so i said plural-so what. I am not answering you any more. Have a good day.